Not open for further replies.

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
If they rested all of the current starting team who weren't fully fit I'd say there wouldn't be many staying. Danger banged up more than most though.

Did you start the Hawkins is irrelevant thread too Warhorse? Similar irrelevant topic.
Obviously 'fully fit' is a loose term as I'm not naive to think that every player goes out and plays at 100% each game.

My point is that we are playing the type of footy which should allow us to rest clearly injured players like Danger because the reliance on him isn't as great as it once was.

Yep clearly deserves to be banished to the vfl for the rest of the year :rolleyes:

4th fav just isn’t good enough :drunk:
Imagine reading this thread if you're an opposition supporter! Makes us all look like entitled flogs.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep clearly deserves to be banished to the vfl for the rest of the year :rolleyes:

4th fav just isn’t good enough :drunk:
Did you read the post or just the title?

Where do you think he would be best utilised? I feel our midfield doesnt have the best balance when he starts in the centre square. And he doesnt play well with others when he is deep forward. I feel forward flank who pushed into the midfield.

Last edited:
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Did you read the post or just the title?

Where do you think he would be best utilised? I feel our midfield does have the best balance when he starts in the centre square. And he does play well with others when he is deep forward. I feel forward flank who pushed into the midfield.
Solely midfield, with the odd rest forward. His ability to win contested ball is still better than just about anyone.

He's clearly not fit and could do with a couple of weeks rest, and because he's carrying injuries we aren't seeing the full impact of him

Geeze I'd like him to drop the carry on whenever he gets hurt though... Very easy to see why opposition fans think he is a flog..

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Geeze I'd like him to drop the carry on whenever he gets hurt though... Very easy to see why opposition fans think he is a flog..

What "carry on"?

He had a legitimate injury, so he clearly wasn't feigning anything. And the optics (ie Danger limping around) were consistent with what happens when you roll your ankle. If people extrapolated the wrong conclusions about the gravity of that injury based on his limping, that's entirely on them, not him. Danger didn't make any claims as to the seriousness of the injury himself. In fact it was Danger himself who told one of the boundary riders that it was rolled ankle, before Chris Scott had said anything to the media.

It's an absolute non-issue and the only reason opposition supporters are criticising him for it is their desperate need to come up with some tenuous justification for their tall poppy syndrome.

Biased99

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Managed, yes. Dropped? Definitely not!

Still playing to a decent standard (and being marked harshly), despite carrying a knee and an ankle.

He has his foibles, true. But on the whole, you'd much prefer him at the Cats, rather than in some other side...

A rest for a week or two would do him good.

Hopefully Atkins is good to go...

Biased99

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Solely midfield, with the odd rest forward. His ability to win contested ball is still better than just about anyone.

Should have added something like this to my earlier post. Keep him doing what he's doing (when fit). The pluses well out weigh any perceived minuses...

Last edited:

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
I'd like to see him rested and given his niggles a chance to heal. Just as importantly, give one of the others (hopefully not Selwood or Ablett) a chance to get some work in extracting the ball at stoppages. Midfielders needs to learn more self-belief and self-reliance.

What "carry on"?

He had a legitimate injury, so he clearly wasn't feigning anything. And the optics (ie Danger limping around) were consistent with what happens when you roll your ankle. If people extrapolated the wrong conclusions about the gravity of that injury based on his limping, that's entirely on them, not him. Danger didn't make any claims as to the seriousness of the injury himself. In fact it was Danger himself who told one of the boundary riders that it was rolled ankle, before Chris Scott had said anything to the media.

It's an absolute non-issue and the only reason opposition supporters are criticising him for it is their desperate need to come up with some tenuous justification for their tall poppy syndrome.
In my opinion he either lays it on thick when he gets hurt or has the most miraculous recovery powers I've ever seen...
He loves the attention and the drama of it all

Mind you.. It does not in way take away from what he does on the field.. He's also an absolute star.. And he's contributing this year while not right.
He'd benefit from a couple of weeks break.. Would almost be worth him having a spell until after the bye IMO, we are in the position where we have banked more early wins than probably expected.. We can make sure we get him right for the 2nd half of the year

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs

It's an absolute non-issue.

Absolutely, entirely, completely, objectively true.

Once you're talking about whether a player is doing a 'reasonable job' of managing how they react to injuries on the field, you know you have entirely lost touch with what is really important.

Seems to me that you need to have it both ways to interpret Danger's reaction to injury in a negative fashion.

So the same bloke that "doesn't care about anyone apart from himself' now cares about managing his image when he cops a knock in the field? Makes absolutely no sense, in my view.

Complete non-issue and simply indicative of the truism that 'nature abhors a vacuum' for mine. When we've got so little to complain about in how the team is performing on the field, it's clearly become vital to find trifling matters of spurious significance on which to focus instead.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I think danger plays up his injuries. They seem to effect him to a greater extent when the opposition has control of the ball.

Will be interesting to see how much time he gets in the midfield in the coming weeks and if he does get a rest with his injuries

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Afl.com.au has a video about the Dangerfield carry on and Chris Scott described it as part of the danger show.

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
What "carry on"?

You're 100% wrong, sorry mate. He's been doing this stuff his whole career. Did it even moreso when playing for Adelaide.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Kane Cornes has again gone after Geelong star Patrick Dangerfield but Geelong coach Chris Scott delivered a savage burn to the Port Adelaide great in return.

In the aftermath of the Cats 44-point win over the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night — where Dangerfield went down with a leg injury in the final term — Cornes attacked the Geelong star’s record of going down with injuries, suggesting he overplays them.

The Geelong star was on crutches at the conclusion of the match, but it was an injury which coach Chris Scott suggested after the game was minor and that Dangerfield’s reaction was “all part of the Danger show”.

“It was a fact that his teammates at Adelaide were frustrated and his coach was frustrated that he played for injuries and played up injuries,” Cornes said on Channel 9’s Sunday Footy Show.

“It’s not the first time we’ve seen it. We saw it when he went off against Hawthorn last year, come back on and be the matchwinner with six goals.

“Earlier this year, country game against Essendon, he limped off, looked like he was done for the day with a knee. Came straight back on minutes later.

“It must be frustrating his teammates. He will be fine, he might miss against the Gold Coast.

“He plays for injuries and it’s frustrating. He plays up the injury, he plays it up.”

Cornes had previously said similar things in 2017, Dangerfield returned serve by arriving at a press conference days later swaddled in bandages and on crutches as he openly mocked Cornes by suggesting a former Port player would have no clue what went on inside fierce rival Adelaide’s rooms.

This time Scott delivered a simple burn, hacking apart Cornes’ controversial and what he suggested was a minimal media skill set.

“Kane’s only just got his pen licence in the media. He has gone down this path before, he has had a crack at it, it failed the first time, it’s time to give that line away,” Scott said on Seven.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Managed, yes. Dropped? Definitely not!

Still playing to a decent standard (and being marked harshly), despite carrying a knee and an ankle.

He has his foibles, true. But on the whole, you'd much prefer him at the Cats, rather than in some other side...

A rest for a week or two would do him good.

Hopefully Atkins is good to go...
"On the whole'!?!?!?
WTF does that mean?
Is there one single reason why you'd not want him at Geelong?
Of course not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back