Should Erin Phillips be inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame as soon as she's eligible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which HOF members dont deserve to be there? 25% of them? 50%?

She had a handful of good games in a minnow competition.

The idea that that stacks up against a real competition is laughable.

The equivalent would be the AFL allowing U16 regional kids in the HOF.

My comment never suggested anyone inducted did not deserve to be there, but Erin Phillips is the current most decorated player, male or female. She has achieved more in three shortened seasons than many existing inductees achieved over their entire careers - she is just limited on longevity due to the current structure of the game.

To be fair, this 'minnow' competition would be more professional and of a higher standard than pre-WW1 VFL.

I'll probably get howled down for sharing this opinion by the neo-fascist SJW leftists, but here goes.

It took the AFL 30 years after he retired to admit Ken Hunter (triple premiership player, Carlton team of the century and hall of fame) into the AFL Hall of Fame. Trevor Barker (St Kilda captain, team of century member, state player, etc.) 30 years. I could go on, you get my point.

Erin Phillips has played a total of 22 games and kicked 28 goals in a fledgling, amateur (until now) football league.

She 'should' be admitted into the AFL hall of fame as soon as she is eligible. Give it a spell.

If we really want to compare, Ken Hunter only played a total of 11 state games, the highest level at the time. Erin Phillips has played 22 games at the highest level, twice as many. Both records have been limited by their respective eras and the opportunities afforded to them. Had Ken Hunter played during the AFL era, I doubt he would have played 99 WAFL games and would have played closer to 250 AFL games - as such he would likely have been recognised earlier.

As 40% of his career was played outside of Victoria, he has been impacted by the Victorian bias of the Hall of Fame. Time will tell if there is going to be a gender bias, as Phillips' record indicates she is a walk-up start.

It is clear that she will fill the criteria to be put into the Hall of Fame.

"Candidates shall be adjudged on the basis of their overall contribution to Australian Football, as opposed to one specific aspect."

So it won't just be her on field contribution, of which she does not currently have a peer at AFLW level, but also the broader influence she will have on the game. If the AFLW is a success 10-years from now then it will be built on the shoulders of Erin Philips and that will be reflected when she becomes eligible for the Hall of Fame.

But in reality. 2x premierships, 2x premiership captain, 2X best afield in grand final, 2x league B&F is a compelling resume. A resume that won't be ignored.

No she shouldn't. Talk about tokenism. The competition as a whole, currently is of a sub standard quality with the majority of players hardly worthy of being called elite footballers. Phillips dominated for this reason. It is not a case of her being so much better than other elite level competition, she merely dominates against other females who simply aren't at the required standard but we have to an AFLW right NOW so its filled with wannabes. Not to mention she is/has been a professional athletes with all the associated benefits of training/nutrition etc compared to relative amateurs.

I'm sure I'll get hosed down for being sexist or hating on women or some other politically correct label, but the fact is she has no real competition and it's not because she is so much greater than the rest.

You could say the exact same thing about the VFL for the first 70 years of its existence. An amateur league with sub standard skills. Should we toss out every member of the Hall of Fame who played before the 1970s?

Every sporting league that has ever existed has had a period where it has primarily been an amateur league where a handful of athletes get to dominate their over-matched peers. The VFL was no exception to this.

My comment never suggested anyone inducted did not deserve to be there, but Erin Phillips is the current most decorated player, male or female. She has achieved more in three shortened seasons than many existing inductees achieved over their entire careers - she is just limited on longevity due to the current structure of the game.

To be fair, this 'minnow' competition would be more professional and of a higher standard than pre-WW1 VFL.

Sure. But that 1907 VFL team was the best in the country.

The Adelaide AFLW team would be beaten by a suburban U16 boys team.

Dont believe me, look up the Matildas vs U15 Newcastle boys team from a few years ago.

Maybe there should be an AFLW Hall of Fame for the next 30 years and consider an amalgamation then. Pump a little history into the comp first. There's a bucket load of old WAFL and SANFL players that should be in before Erin Phillips.

If we really want to compare, Ken Hunter only played a total of 11 state games, the highest level at the time. Erin Phillips has played 22 games at the highest level, twice as many. Both records have been limited by their respective eras and the opportunities afforded to them. Had Ken Hunter played during the AFL era, I doubt he would have played 99 WAFL games and would have played closer to 250 AFL games - as such he would likely have been recognised earlier.

As 40% of his career was played outside of Victoria, he has been impacted by the Victorian bias of the Hall of Fame. Time will tell if there is going to be a gender bias, as Phillips' record indicates she is a walk-up start.
Ken Hunter and Trevor Barker were just two names I pulled out at random.

There are countless other examples of players who played 150+ games over 10+ year careers who are still waiting to be inducted or who took many years to be inducted.

What's being suggested here is that because she is a woman, Phillips gets immediate induction as soon as she is eligible.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

We shouldn't pan to the left wing media and tokenism.
We shouldn't just put someone in the hall of fame because they are a women or gay, or Black. They should be put in there only on merit.

Sure. But that 1907 VFL team was the best in the country.

The Adelaide AFLW team would be beaten by a suburban U16 boys team.

Dont believe me, look up the Matildas vs U15 Newcastle boys team from a few years ago.

A modern suburban U/16 team would likely beat that 1907 VFL team. I get it, you have little respect for the quality of female football, however Phillips is currently the most decorated player in the game from either gender and has impacted the sport significantly. Her induction is inevitable.

Ken Hunter and Trevor Barker were just two names I pulled out at random.

There are countless other examples of players who played 150+ games over 10+ year careers who are still waiting to be inducted or who took many years to be inducted.

What's being suggested here is that because she is a woman, Phillips gets immediate induction as soon as she is eligible.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Not because she is a woman, she should be inducted on the strength of her achievements. A number here seem to be suggesting she should not be inducted because she is a woman.

She has achieved more than Gary Ablett Jnr, yet I am sure no one will even blink if he is inducted the first year he is eligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A modern suburban U/16 team would likely beat that 1907 VFL team. I get it, you have little respect for the quality of female football, however Phillips is currently the most decorated player in the game from either gender and has impacted the sport significantly. Her induction is inevitable.

I dont think you do get it.

A modern suburban boys team would beat the AFLW All stars.

The reason she is so decorated is because the talent pool is so shallow. The male and female leagues simply shouldnt be mentioned together, such is the divide.

Not because she is a woman, she should be inducted on the strength of her achievements. A number here seem to be suggesting she should not be inducted because she is a woman.

She has achieved more than Gary Ablett Jnr, yet I am sure no one will even blink if he is inducted the first year he is eligible.
You are joking aren’t you?

She’s played less than 30 games. Yes she’s the best player in an amateur league. But that’s it.

no one would argue if you stuck a photo on the fridge

And here we have the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on big footy

You are joking aren’t you?

She’s played less than 30 games. Yes she’s the best player in an amateur league. But that’s it.
...and John Coleman played less than 100 games in a suburban competition, yet has been elevated to Legend status and has a medal named after him. Longevity is not a prerequisite of induction.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And here we have the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on big footy
In our game there are four genuinly elite achievements - League B&F award, Grand Final Best on Ground award, Club B&F in a Premiership season and a Best on Ground in a representative game - each occasion being awarded as the best of the best.

Phillips has done three of those, twice each.

Ablett has done two of those, twice each.

Their records are similar, Ablett has longevity, Phillips makes up for it with the Grand Final BOGs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When an U16 boys team would beat them by 15 goals its amateur.

And there would be nothing wrong with that if the AFL and some others didnt keep pretending otherwise.

It should have been grown and developed naturally.
Amateur, when in relation to sport means Something specific. It means they pay wothout pay.

And just because 16 year olds might be stronger than women isn't a good enough reason to diminish their achievements. Otherwise why bother allowing them to compete in sports at all?

Amateur, when in relation to sport means Something specific. It means they pay wothout pay.

And just because 16 year olds might be stronger than women isn't a good enough reason to diminish their achievements. Otherwise why bother allowing them to compete in sports at all?

Did you not read my final sentence? My issue is that people are pretending it is something which it isnt. Not that it exists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back