Should Erin Phillips be inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame as soon as she's eligible.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I dont think you do get it.

A modern suburban boys team would beat the AFLW All stars.

The reason she is so decorated is because the talent pool is so shallow. The male and female leagues simply shouldnt be mentioned together, such is the divide.
Ok, you get a team of suburban boys to cut their nuts off, so they are eligible to play in the AFLW, then we will see how they go.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Erin Phillips is a cornerstone player in a brand new professional league.

She is one of the faces of the league, and is used to drive the expansion of football into prominence in women's sport.

She has won 2 of the first 3 premierships bog's and 2 out of the first 3 league MVPs.

She shouldn't be rushed into the HOF, putting her in immediately just so there is an AFLW player in it is tokenism.

But when she does go in, it will be with a resume men's football hasn't seen in a century, if ever.

Even if she is surpassed as a player in the AFLW, which I expect to happen within a few years (some of the 16 year olds running around are extraordinary), the position she holds in the league will not be matched.

The AFLW isn't just a new league, it represents a complete change in football as an industry in this country, and you only get to be key to its creation once.

She is really fortunate to be in the right place and at the right time. Old enough that it was time to walk away from basketball, young enough to still play footy. Good enough and professional enough to dominate the foundation of the league. But fortune has always had a big part to play.

The F in the HOF stands for Fame. Not ability, not for your capacity to beat 16 year old boys, not for how many games you played.

Phillips is, and forever will be, the best and cornerstone player in the creation of the AFLW. She will forever be in the conversation when people talk about the league. If the league survives and prospers, then in 100 years, if Australia is still inhabitable, sports historians talking about the AFLW will talk about Phillips.

That is fame. Therefore that is Hall of FAME material.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Jupes

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Why would an AFLW player be inducted into the AFL HoF? They are different leagues.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
No, she should not.
Needs to have a successful 10-15 (AFLW) year career before being considered.
Not a longevity award, not a premiership award, not a goals scored award, its a Hall of Fame. Under normal circumstances, a players fame and renown relates to ability which relates to longevity. This is a situation where that is not necessarily the case.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
...and John Coleman played less than 100 games in a suburban competition, yet has been elevated to Legend status and has a medal named after him. Longevity is not a prerequisite of induction.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You’re comparing Phillips to Coleman?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
16 year old boys, sans nuts, why not. What is your obsession with 16 yer old boys by the way, its a little disturbing.

I was being polite. An U14 team would probably win.

The premier women's league is so poor of a standard that suburban kids would flog them.

Yet the women should be elevated to the same level of the men. Its a ludicrous argument. And deserves derision.

But I do like the way you had to imply a pretty horrendous slur. Shows how pathetic your argument is. You seem very heavily invested. Somehow involved in one of the clubs? I cant imagine someone could be such a fanatic of something which has been around for such a tiny amount of time.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
You’re comparing Phillips to Coleman?
Yes, had a medal named after him because he was the first recognised star goalkicker in a developing game. Played less than 100 games due to injury yet elevated to legend status. Has set a precedent for the same to eventually happen for Erin.

There is no doubt she will be inducted into the HOF, however it is likely she will also be the first female elevated to Legend.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Yes, had a medal named after him because he was the first recognised star goalkicker in a developing game. Played less than 100 games due to injury yet elevated to legend status. Has set a precedent for the same to eventually happen for Erin.

There is no doubt she will be inducted into the HOF, however it is likely she will also be the first female elevated to Legend.

John Coleman played 6 seasons at Essendon, played 98 games and kicked 537 goals at an average of 5.48. He played in the early 50's. The game was not 'developing'. It was well established.

Erin Phillips is a very good female footballer. She has played 22 games and kicked 28 goals, at an average of 1.28.

You are the only person on the planet deluded enough to think there is any comparison to be made between the two. I'm sorry, but you've got sh*t for brains.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
John Coleman played 6 seasons at Essendon, played 98 games and kicked 537 goals at an average of 5.48. He played in the early 50's. The game was not 'developing'. It was well established.

Erin Phillips is a very good female footballer. She has played 22 games and kicked 28 goals, at an average of 1.28.

You are the only person on the planet deluded enough to think there is any comparison to be made between the two. I'm sorry, but you've got sh*t for brains.

Go back and find some footage from the early 60s or prior, the game was primitive, slam on the boot, kick a floater and hope for the best. The football being played in the AFLW is a much higher standard than what was being played in Coleman's time.

Different positions, so goals per game is irrelevant, Coleman never won a Brownlow or a Norm Smith either - but that is not a measure of a forward. Phillips has only played 22 games as she has played in an era of limited length seasons and prior to that an era of zero length seasons where she had to shift to a different sport. Coleman managed only 98 games in an era of full length seasons yet was still included as one of the 12 legends of the game in the inaugural HOF induction.

As for the last part, Coleman is the only Legend player who has played less than 100 games, so it is a valid comparison. Coleman played six seasons, Phillips has played three, neither is setting the world alight in length of career so both are being compared based on achievements over a short period of time. Phillips' achievements should not be disregarded because of the failure of the AFL to run a proper length competition.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Let's compare her to the most recent inductees:

Erin Phillips

Games - 22
Goals - 28
Premiership - 2017, 2019
Premiership Captain - 2017, 2019
League B&F - 2017, 2019
Grand Final BOG - 2017, 2019
Club B&F (non-premiership) - 0
Club B&F in a Premiership Season - 2017, 2019
All-Australian - 2017, 2019
Interstate Games - 0
Tassie Medal - 0

Other
Club Leading Goalkicker - 2018

Trevor Barker

Games - 230
Goals - 134
Premiership - 0
Premiership Captain - 0
League B&F (Brownlow) - 0
Grand Final BOG (Norm Smith) - 0
Club B&F (non-premiership) - 1976, 1981
Club B&F in a Premiership Season - 0
All-Australian - 0
Interstate Games - 7
Tassie Medal - 0

Jim Deane

Games - 190
Goals - 112
Premiership - 0
Premiership Captain - 0
League B&F (Magarey) - 1953, 1957
Grand Final BOG - 0
Club B&F (non-premiership) - 1948, 1949, 1951, 1953, 1956, 1957
All-Australian - 0
Interstate Games - 15
Tassie Medal - 0

Brad Hardie

Games - 290
Goals - 530
Premiership - 1980
Premiership Captain - 0
League B&F (Brownlow) - 1985
Grand Final BOG - 0
Club B&F (non-premiership) - 1982, 1986
All-Australian - 1986
Interstate Games - 10
Tassie Medal - 2

Other
Club Leading Goalkicker - 1984, 1989, 1990

Ken Hunter

Games - 246
Goals - 183
Premiership - 1981, 1982, 1987
Premiership Captain - 0
League B&F (Sandover/Brownlow) - 0
Grand Final BOG - 0
Club B&F in a Premiership Season - 1981
All-Australian - 1979, 1980
Interstate Games - 10
Tassie Medal - 0

Other
Club Leading Goalkicker - 1983

Disregard games played and her record stands out above all of them.

Yeah, let's not compare the two... Also, here are some stats to compare the two.

Phillips is going into the Australian Football Hall of Fame sooner or later, and she won't be the lone AFLW player from this era either, suck it up. My guess is that when it does happen, most of the people currently offended by the concept will be dead. That's what I call a win-win. Now please find that devastating Dislike button and push it really hard, genius.

A modern suburban boys team would beat the AFLW All stars.
AFLW All-Star Team, as selected by AFLW Expert HairyO:
E. Phillips, T. Harris, D. Pearce, M. Hope, A. Holmes, D. Lee, E. Phillips, H. Mouncey, R. Tong, Erin P., M. Markle, N. Portman, S. Burgoyne's sister-in-law, those hot blonde Carlton twins, the Collingwood netball bogan, the chick with the NicNat hair, some random 13yo South Australian girl described by J. Cahill as one of the most talented junior footballers he'd seen (whatever became of her, anybody know??)

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
We shouldn't pan to the left wing media and tokenism.
We shouldn't just put someone in the hall of fame because they are a women or gay, or Black. They should be put in there only on merit.
Two time Premiership captain
2 time league MVP
2 time All Australian
AA captain
2 time F+B
2 time BOG In the Grand final Including tearing her knee in 2019 so she played only 70% of the game, Still clear cut best on the field.

if guys like Bill Goggins/Brad Hardie (And this is no way a shot at them, because they deserve to be in the HOF) get in, i dont see why Erin Phillips doesnt

She absolutely deserves it on Merit. As she's been head and shoulders the best player in 2 seasons out of 3, Career not over.

Merit wise she stacks up better then a lot of the men in that list.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Let's compare her to the most recent inductees:

Erin Phillips

Games - 22
Goals - 28
Premiership - 2017, 2019
Premiership Captain - 2017, 2019
League B&F - 2017, 2019
Grand Final BOG - 2017, 2019
Club B&F in a Premiership Season - 2017, 2019
All-Australian - 2017, 2019
Interstate Games - 0
Tassie Medal - 0

Other
Club Leading Goalkicker - 2018

Trevor Barker

Games - 230
Goals - 134
Premiership - 0
Premiership Captain - 0
League B&F (Brownlow) - 0
Grand Final BOG (Norm Smith) - 0
Club B&F (non-premiership) - 1976, 1981
All-Australian - 0
Interstate Games - 7
Tassie Medal - 0

Jim Deane

Games - 190
Goals - 112
Premiership - 0
Premiership Captain - 0
League B&F (Magarey) - 1953, 1957
Grand Final BOG - 0
Club B&F (non-premiership) - 1948, 1949, 1951, 1953, 1956, 1957
All-Australian - 0
Interstate Games - 15
Tassie Medal - 0

Brad Hardie

Games - 290
Goals - 530
Premiership - 1980
Premiership Captain - 0
League B&F (Brownlow) - 1985
Grand Final BOG - 0
Club B&F (non-premiership) - 1982, 1986
All-Australian - 1986
Interstate Games - 10
Tassie Medal - 2

Other
Club Leading Goalkicker - 1984, 1989, 1990

Ken Hunter

Games - 246
Goals - 183
Premiership - 1981, 1982, 1987
Premiership Captain - 0
League B&F (Sandover/Brownlow) - 0
Grand Final BOG - 0
Club B&F in a Premiership Season - 1981
All-Australian - 1979, 1980
Interstate Games - 10
Tassie Medal - 0

Other
Club Leading Goalkicker - 1983

Disregard games played and her record stands out above all of them.
Bro nah please bro, The argument will change from "hasnt achieved much" to "WELL SHE DIDNT PLAY OVER 10 YEARS THIS IS SUDDENLY NOW A LEGITAMATE REASON WHY"

I'd actually argue she was a footballer who played basketball for most of her career

You don't need to argue because it's a fact.

Her dad raised her to be a footballer but basketball was a more viable sport for women to play. It even says so on her wiki "no viable pathway after 13yo" I'm guessing this is the age the girls aren't allowed to play with the boys (or at least it was).

She's a walk up hall of famer. Almost universal respect for everything she has done for the game.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I was being polite. An U14 team would probably win.

The premier women's league is so poor of a standard that suburban kids would flog them.

Yet the women should be elevated to the same level of the men. Its a ludicrous argument. And deserves derision.

But I do like the way you had to imply a pretty horrendous slur. Shows how pathetic your argument is. You seem very heavily invested. Somehow involved in one of the clubs? I cant imagine someone could be such a fanatic of something which has been around for such a tiny amount of time.
You know its a womens league right? What a mens team, or a U16 boys team, or an U14s boys team, or trained seals or football playing robots might do against them is utterly irrelevant. Yet you keep bringing it up, repeatedly, like its all you got. Why? Seems a relevant question.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Go back and find some footage from the early 60s or prior, the game was primitive, slam on the boot, kick a floater and hope for the best. The football being played in the AFLW is a much higher standard than what was being played in Coleman's time.
Nonsense.

Back