Hot Topic Should Essendon* be able to participate in the 2016 NAB AFL draft?

Should Essendon be able to be in the 2016 NAB AFL draft?

• Total voters
Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
This question has already been dealt with by the AFL. No need for further sanctions. Draft positions will be determined by where a team finishes on the ladder. The topic of discussion is whether * will be given a priority pick in 2016 Draft? The 'WADA 12' will determine this outcome. Mass walkout = priority pick.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
This question has already been dealt with by the AFL. No need for further sanctions. Draft positions will be determined by where a team finishes on the ladder. The topic of discussion is whether * will be given a priority pick in 2016 Draft? The 'WADA 12' will determine this outcome. Mass walkout = priority pick.
I agree they've already been penalized most likely not severe enough but they could or should possibly receive maybe a penalty of end of 1st rd pick other than that leave it at that . On the path they were on over the last couple of years they were going to be in the bottom 4 or possibly bottom 2 next year anyway . With the possible court action by suspended players and walk outs most likely after next year the AFL doesn't need to do a thing really, they are going to be crap for years and it's going to be glorious to watch .

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Draft positions will be determined by where a team finishes on the ladder.

Which, thanks to WADA, almost guarantees they have an unfair advantage of finishing bottom due to 12 missing players. Is the humiliation of winning their first wooden spoon since 1933 enough punishment for obtaining the #1 draft pick?

NB: They did finish 15th last year but only after losing/tanking all but 1 game (against Melbourne!) between rounds 9 and 22.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
Which, thanks to WADA, almost guarantees they have an unfair advantage of finishing bottom due to 12 missing players. Is the humiliation of winning their first wooden spoon since 1933 enough punishment for obtaining the #1 draft pick?

NB: They did finish 15th last year but only after losing/tanking all but 1 game (against Melbourne!) between rounds 9 and 22.
One number 1 pick is not going to change their fortunes bask in the glory of seeing them squirm for the last 3 years and beyond and revel in how s**t they are going to be over the next 5 years .

Moving their first to the end of the first round could mean that they end up getting 2 picks back to back in the late teens. I would prefer to move the first and second round picks to the end of the rounds and then leave everything as is maybe...

Yep, happy with that.
Makes things pretty fair.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think there is a good chance they would have finished bottom 4 regardless of the suspensions so even if they end up with pick 1 it wont advantage that much. They have already had significant penalties mand as much as we despise the whole club and all of there fans a good and strong Essendon is good for the competition and any more significant penalties could end up terminal for the club.

Big difference between pick 4 and 1 in a lot of peoples eyes.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I agree they've already been penalized most likely not severe enough but they could or should possibly receive maybe a penalty of end of 1st rd pick other than that leave it at that . On the path they were on over the last couple of years they were going to be in the bottom 4 or possibly bottom 2 next year anyway . With the possible court action by suspended players and walk outs most likely after next year the AFL doesn't need to do a thing really, they are going to be crap for years and it's going to be glorious to watch .

To all the comments about the bombers already having been penalised, have a look what they were penalised for. The Essendon football club was penalised for poor governance and failing in their duty of care to the players. They then recieved a priority pick at the end of round 1 for supposedly co-operating with the AFL. The EFC last week were found guilty of doping, supplying banned substances which is cheating. They have not been punished for this yet. I hope they don't get the luxury of knowing they get to play all their kids and end up with pick 1 at the end of the season.

They need to be in the draft as the AFL needs them to bounce back but they haven't been penalised yet but i hope they are.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
What are people thoughts on compensation for clubs that traded with Essendon?

I personally think all clubs should be entitled to compensation in some form.

The Essendon football club has essentially sold an asset to another club for a premium fee only for the value of that asset to be de-valued by their conduct. The buyer beware argument by some i feel is totally irrelevant. If the EFC told rival clubs when negotiating trades that they didn't do anything wrong and the players will be fine then they are guilty of misleading the buyer.

A few years ago Sam Newman won a court case against a Lamborghini dealer, Mr Newman purchased a high powered sports car for a few hundred thousand, on the information that another model would not be released in the near future. Six months later a new model was released seriously devaluing the car he purchased. Mr Newman won the case and was awarded compensation.

I think this example makes sense to what i am trying to get across.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
To all the comments about the bombers already having been penalised, have a look what they were penalised for. The Essendon football club was penalised for poor governance and failing in their duty of care to the players. They then recieved a priority pick at the end of round 1 for supposedly co-operating with the AFL. The EFC last week were found guilty of doping, supplying banned substances which is cheating. They have not been punished for this yet. I hope they don't get the luxury of knowing they get to play all their kids and end up with pick 1 at the end of the season.

They need to be in the draft as the AFL needs them to bounce back but they haven't been penalised yet but i hope they are.
Yes your right they were penalized for poor governance regarding drug cheating . Im not sure the the afl want to be making rules and giving penalties on the run . The dopers and dopees have been tried coaches and players have now been banned . I as much as anyone would like to see them destroyed and languish at the bottom of the ladder for a decade but further serious bans are just not going to happen unfortunately . But never mind we will get to see them languish and squirm for a long time yet . And how I'm looking forward to it .

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Moving their first to the end of the first round could mean that they end up getting 2 picks back to back in the late teens. I would prefer to move the first and second round picks to the end of the rounds and then leave everything as is maybe...

It is completely absurd for the player penalties to be "rewarding" Essendon with a lower ladder position than they otherwise might have achieved this year and therefore "de facto" rewarding them with a better draft position in this years draft.

I agree with Dramoth that at the very least they should only have a last pick in the first and second round in this years draft.

The AFL will show themselves to be hopelessly weak and conflicted if they allow Essendon anything more in this years Draft.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Take the Anzac Day game/fixture away from them.
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned often as a possible sanction for *FC, they put the code and league in disrepute for 4 off years, they have forfeited the right to participated in the biggest H and A game of the season

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolute bullshit if they get Pick #1.

The AFL are a complete joke they penalised them already? How? Kicked them out of the finals when they would've lost anyway? It's not like it cost them a premiership.

Took away picks for 2013. That's it. Rubbish, our penalty was a lot harsher for what must be said, a weaker offense.

They should be excluded from the draft for the next 2 years minimum. They can keep their top up players.

basil00

All Australian
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
This was already dealt with in 2014 with sanctions in the 2014 and 2015 drafts. I think they would have been spooners this year anyway. Whatever happens, they should not get a compensation pick, as the cheats don't deserve it.

Amers

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Too far from the 'G
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Liverpool
The topic of discussion is whether * will be given a priority pick in 2016 Draft? The 'WADA 12' will determine this outcome. Mass walkout = priority pick.
Is this opinion or fact?
Coz in my opinion it's a load of bull. They might deserve a priority pick after 3 consecutive spoons, but not much before.

Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Ban them from the draft this year, they will probably finish last next year and get that number one pick anyway so it just delays what everyone thinks is the inevitable regardless.

Nothing will happen.

Back