Should Essendon make a play for Clarkson?

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After today's performance against Port Adelaide it seems the natives are restless at the Hangar.

Clarko was trending on twitter with calls from Dons fans calling for Rutten to be let go and the club chase Clarko.

I can see their point. They are a big club with lots of members, money is no issue for them.

Why wouldn't he want to go there?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After today's performance against Port Adelaide it seems the natives are restless at the Hangar.

Clarko was trending on twitter with calls from Dons fans calling for Rutten to be let go and the club chase Clarko.

I can see their point. They are a big club with lots of members, money is no issue for them.

Roos have better youf, plus Dodoro.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Every club not in the top 6 (+ Richmond who wouldn't do it to Hardwick) should be interested imo.

I'd be careful paying him TOO much money though. He obviously should command a high salary, but 1) still have to pay the rest of the football department and 2) if you only get him over the line because of the salary, is he going to have the same drive as his time during Hawthorn?

SuperVolley11

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

I also watched first crack tonight.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Essendon is too institutionalized for Clarko. He’ll have far more difficulties effecting change at the Dons than at the Roos.

It worked pretty well at Hawthorn not giving him full reign. Lots of other senior Hawks figures took responsibility for decisions there, in fact I'm reasonably sure they made an effort to Ensure Clarkson was the head coach, not the almighty God of all decisions.

Reckon that's better than letting a coach run the show. Even a successful one like Clarkson at a club like North - even if it is to prevent burnout, but also to take on all ideas.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's not the coach that is the problem. It's the old brigade at Essendon that needs to go I think.

Players or off field old brigade?

Aside from Heppell, not really much in the way of the old brigade on field. Hurley VFL, Zaharakis and Hooker retired, I guess maybe Shiel?? But even he hasn't been at the club for that long.

Who in particular?

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Bit too late, you would think Clarko would have made a decision by now in his own mind.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bit too late, you would think Clarko would have made a decision by now in his own mind.

Maybe, but surely the attraction of coaching one of the biggest and most powerful club in the land would attract him.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep. They're holding the club back. It's 2022 and this club is still trying to relive the glory years.
2023 is Brashers last year but apprenlty is having health issues so he could be gone before that.

As for Sheedy,Dodoro,Madden yeah they need to go would also tell Xavier Campbel to pack his bags too

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Agreed.
Keep the coach .

Get rid of Dodoro, Madden, Wellman, Campbell, Sheedy and Brasher.
Rutten is tactically inept sits there like a dear in the headlights when the opposition is dominating waited till the 3rd qrt and losing by 50 plus against Port to make some moves gotta go.

Agree about Dodoro, Madden, Wellman, Campbell, Sheedy and Brasher they need to go too

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
is it the coaching?

It certainly wasn’t the coaching the last 6 ******* times.

Is it the fact we’ve never built a midfield that thrives in the contest, can use the ball well and run both ways............

Who knows, but just to play it safe let’s just never try it and continue to blame everything else.

Sure let’s give Clarko a go so we can waste another 3 years before ******* him off too.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville

I think he's going to the powerhouse that is North Melbourne. He'll fix their wagon good and proper, guy won 3 flags in a row against interstate sides who couldn't draw you the MCG.

But nah, he's gonna turn North into a powerhouse it once was, very good get imo.

Clarkson could show up with all 6 infinity stones and it still wont make a *in difference.

Essendon need to entirely blow up its front office, its back office and its board.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he's going to the powerhouse that is North Melbourne. He'll fix their wagon good and proper, guy won 3 flags in a row against interstate sides who couldn't draw you the MCG.

But nah, he's gonna turn North into a powerhouse it once was, very good get imo.

Are you trying to diminish the achievements of a bloke who coached a 3peat because they beat non Victorian teams? Seems a weird thing to do considering you probably cant even remember Essendons last final win.

I think Clarkson would be perfect for Essendon though. He would immediately transform the Bombers from playing the bruise free, downhill skiing style of football they are currently playing atm, into a harder edge, unsociable style.

They have got the list to rise straight away with a bit of discipline, after all Mick Malthouse tipped them to win the flag this year.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Are you trying to diminish the achievements of a bloke who coached a 3peat because they beat non Victorian teams? Seems a weird thing to do considering you probably cant even remember Essendons last final win.

I think Clarkson would be perfect for Essendon though. He would immediately transform the Bombers from playing the bruise free, downhill skiing style of football they are currently playing atm, into a harder edge, unsociable style.

They have got the list to rise straight away with a bit of discipline, after all Mick Malthouse tipped them to win the flag this year.
I don't care about Essendon, I couldn't tell you the last game I physically watched.

Back