Science/Environment Should fossil fuel producers be held liable for climate change?

Remove this Banner Ad

With this government's record of palming off all the actual work of governing to the private sector, surely it can only be a matter of time that they try to pass the buck on this decision.

Is it climate change that is delivering a potentially record breaking wheat harvest in WA, Australias largest grain producer.

The old doubt is heavy rains down towatrds the South coast = where is bloody Flannery when he is needed?

It's a balancing act. Most people can't afford electric cars (they aren't green at this point anyway, nor is there charging infrastructure at a practical level) so the options are petrol and diesel. But if I'm prepared to drive a Toyota LandCruiser to the shops and back and have the air con running 24/7 at home (I'm not) should I really be telling oil and coal producers what to do?
One of the biggest 'greenies' on here drives not 1 but two 4wds in the city.

It's become clear that these companies knew the damage their products were causing and not only did they not do anything about it, they actively tried to prevent and discredit people from taking action against them. Should they be held liable under either civil or criminal code for the damage they have knowingly caused?
Fair argument, but who will hold them to account?
The last century showed that the we cannot even protect humans from being murdered in front of our eyes, humans physically under the protection of the worlds police force.
If you look at every politician in Canberra you will find the vast majority have fossil fuel money in their pockets. Both sides, every party even some Greens.

Fair argument, but who will hold them to account?
The last century showed that the we cannot even protect humans from being murdered in front of our eyes, humans physically under the protection of the worlds police force.
If you look at every politician in Canberra you will find the vast majority have fossil fuel money in their pockets. Both sides, every party even some Greens.

How long a bow do you need to draw?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe individuals should also be held liable. We know our internal combustion engine propelled cars contribute to pollution and climate change, and we can take alternative transportation. I hear our train or tram system in Melbourne is now 100% carbon neutral, so we have the means to ditch our cars most of the time, for an exciting and clean vehicle.

Maybe individuals should also be held liable. We know our internal combustion engine propelled cars contribute to pollution and climate change, and we can take alternative transportation. I hear our train or tram system in Melbourne is now 100% carbon neutral, so we have the means to ditch our cars most of the time, for an exciting and clean vehicle.

You'd be silly to believe that, where does the power come from?

Is it climate change that is delivering a potentially record breaking wheat harvest in WA, Australias largest grain producer.

The old doubt is heavy rains down towatrds the South coast = where is bloody Flannery when he is needed?

In other breaking news, Asbestos is a harmless and relatively inexpensive building product, and cigarettes are healthy.

If you're not very bright and susceptible to manipulation by right wing vested interests ;)

In other breaking news, Asbestos is a harmless and relatively inexpensive building product, and cigarettes are healthy.

If you're not very bright and susceptible to manipulation by right wing vested interests ;)

How is one wing any different to another, the people that inhabit that space have more in common than they might like.

That Flannery continues to be held in high regard by the climate change lobby beggars belief, as well described by your good self.

How is one wing any different to another, the people that inhabit that space have more in common than they might like.

That Flannery continues to be held in high regard by the climate change lobby beggars belief, as well described by your good self.
I agree. People with extreme, simplistic views all seem to really hate science. Your certainly not alone there. Whether you're a right wing denier of climate science or a left wing anti vaccer, a religious fundamentalist or a hippy tarot card reader. You're all different sides of the same coin in my book.

It's become clear that these companies knew the damage their products were causing and not only did they not do anything about it, they actively tried to prevent and discredit people from taking action against them. Should they be held liable under either civil or criminal code for the damage they have knowingly caused?
Should we also hold fossil fuel consumers liable as well?

If there were no consumers there would be no producers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back