Discussion Should Fremantle #ReturnTheAnchor?

Should Fremantle...

• #ReturnTheAnchor

• remain boring?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bump with a mockup of the ideal set. Connor Blakely and New Player are the models.

410859_4b00aff929c4861d782d67608c29b1ac.png

And they all have appropriately coloured sleeves and socks like below

410860_2c8d251bffb5f5c852918d7623921cbf.png

Bump with a mockup of the ideal set. Connor Blakely and New Player are the models.

Top left with the cuffs the same colour as the pattern appropriate.
Also purple socks.

Green looks good also.

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time. Not gonna lie - the poll is pretty bad. Freo's current strips are the best they've had in their history and while it is pure symbolism, their fortunes have turned around with ditching the anchor and sports fans can be a superstitious bunch (see: Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs). A throwback now and then would be good to honour the history but Freo should keep the chevrons.

I kinda saw the chevron to be a partial homage to the anchor since it's like the bit at the bottom of an anchor (not sure if it has a specific name).
Maybe someone could try a design that uses one chevron, and adds the remaining part of the anchor, using the existing colours?

the crown and arm is represented in the chevron

The Freo guernsey has never looked better. Perhaps just because its purple and white rather than red, green, purple and white.

Whatever happens, keep it simple!

Agree but something like this every now and then would make those who love the old colours and the new happy.

freo.jpg

Similar to the womens but offers possibilities

I think aesthetically, the Freo guernsey is nice, but it doesn't have the uniqueness of the anchor.

My favourite Freo jumper has always been the all purple with white anchor. That would be the ideal home jumper for the club imo, with a reverse white with purple anchor as the away.

The green, red and purple don't go together at all and should only return as a heritage guernsey.

Ripped from my AFL Nova portfolio but if they were to return to the anchor it might be best if they kept the Purple + White combo instead of adding green and red back into the mix, save that for a heritage guernsey of sorts. This is what I would go for if they were to returned the fabled anchor. And there's probably enough white on the Home jumper to make it look good and compatible with white shorts for use as an away when there is no clash.
home.jpg clash.jpg

has a team ever won a premiership with different colours on different sides o the guernsey?

100% bring it back! I honestly love the original anchor design with green + red either side of the anchor and Hard Yakka sponsor. It's just different and it should've been left alone, embrace the uniqueness. Plus it brings back childhood memories of Clive Waterhouse, Spider Burton and Daniel Bandy running around in the late 90's.

The current design is okay but it's plain, the purple is too dark that it looks more navy half the time. It's like they were the odd kid at school who wanted to fit in, so they changed who they were just so they could play with the cool kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 874938

Finding the right anchor has always been a bit of an issue with Freo's old design.
I think I've found the one with the best shape and proportions. Funnily enough, it was from the 1998 away jumper.
These are the best Freo jumpers I've ever seen. Middle and right should definitely be their home and away jumpers. I get the current jumper has some history, but these are so much more unique to the Dockers.

They'd win a flag in these jumpers for sure :p

View attachment 874938

Finding the right anchor has always been a bit of an issue with Freo's old design.
I think I've found the one with the best shape and proportions. Funnily enough, it was from the 1998 away jumper.

This is the best I've seen

love all three

Personally I think the anchor should have been retained by Freo. It was a unique look and somehow it gave the club some personality. A few other people have suggested that the anchor was "dropped" (lol) by the club because it is associated with weighing things down, but I'm not so sure if that is true since the team's logo used today still has a big anchor on it.

After all, isn't the point to "hit 'em real hard & send 'em down below"? ;-)

Personally, I prefer Freo keeping their home guernsey with what they have now. The three chevrons are synonymous with the Fremantle Football Club. However, the anchor should at least appear in a one-off home game (preferably the 2001-2010 anchor and not the original anchor). They could even use a predominantly green third guernsey on the road for games against like Collingwood, North Melbourne and Geelong.

Now don't get me wrong, I despise the Fremantle Football Club with a passion.

But, I must admit they've got some of the strongest branding and one of the strongest jumper sets in the game.

Even the way they refuse to wear white shorts with the purple jumper is great.

The purple green and red made them a laughing stock, the chevrons are a traditional footy style that's still very unique to Fremantle, as well as having links to the Fremantle FC of old. It's one of the best looks in the game (behind our glorious wings, of course).

Story time: I was actually a part of a "focus group" (if you could call it that, so much as a meeting with some other students with the head of marketing for the club at the time) in Year 8 for the Fremantle rebrand, because my high school was aligned with the Fremantle Dockers for their footy academy. Long story short, the reasons the club were moving away from the anchor was because of negative imagery, and the red and green were removed because the imagery was that of a "jester"...

Whilst I'd love the nostalgia of seeing the Dockers run out in the anchor once or twice a year, the move to just purple and white with the clean chevrons was a big move in the right direction.

Story time: I was actually a part of a "focus group" (if you could call it that, so much as a meeting with some other students with the head of marketing for the club at the time) in Year 8 for the Fremantle rebrand, because my high school was aligned with the Fremantle Dockers for their footy academy. Long story short, the reasons the club were moving away from the anchor was because of negative imagery, and the red and green were removed because the imagery was that of a "jester"...

Whilst I'd love the nostalgia of seeing the Dockers run out in the anchor once or twice a year, the move to just purple and white with the clean chevrons was a big move in the right direction.
Not to mention the anchor is synonymous with the club not only looking like a meme but playing like one too. It’s not like that jumper has the ‘good ol’ days’ factor that our wings had.

They never experienced anything close to success in the anchor, since changing to the chevrons they’ve become regular finalists and made their first grand final. 2012-2015 Fremantle were a force to be reckoned with and it’s baffling they didn’t win a flag in that time.

Back