Should geelong be allowed to play all home finals at geelong in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know, but making only the interstate clubs play finals there plainly disadvantages those clubs when compared to the Melbourne clubs.

Im sure Richmond or Hawthorn or Collingwood would play finals in Geelong if Geelong allowed 50% of tickets to go to opposition teams.

Like what would happen at the MCG.

Geelong should be allowed to play home finals period, as long as they see fit to do so.

Unfortunately, the AFL is more interested in corporate greed (look where that has got them, big fat nowhere) than running a balanced, fair competition.

End of.

All Victorian clubs play their finals at the MCG. Always have with rare exception. It's fair and it won't change. Anyway, you can't have finals played at a sausage shaped ground that's not even up to C grade amateur standard. The only reason Geelong is allowed to play there at all is because it gives them enormous advantages both on and off the field and almost guarantees them a regular place in the finals, without which, the club would quickly fold.
A solution could be to relocate Geelong to the docklands, then the teams that call that stadium home could lobby for home finals. But that can't happen because, without it's home ground, Geelong is easily the weakest Victorian club, probably too weak to survive in the medium term.

All Victorian clubs play their finals at the MCG. Always have with rare exception. It's fair and it won't change. Anyway, you can't have finals played at a sausage shaped ground that's not even up to C grade amateur standard. The only reason Geelong is allowed to play there at all is because it gives them enormous advantages both on and off the field and almost guarantees them a regular place in the finals, without which, the club would quickly fold.
A solution could be to relocate Geelong to the docklands, then the teams that call that stadium home could lobby for home finals. But that can't happen because, without it's home ground, Geelong is easily the weakest Victorian club, probably too weak to survive in the medium term.

Great read. Trying too hard with your troll thought. Need to make it sound a bit more believable and less sauce on it. Gave it a like as i semi chuckled while reading it.

Great read. Trying too hard with your troll thought. Need to make it sound a bit more believable and less sauce on it. Gave it a like as i semi chuckled while reading it.
Still the point is valid. Without the cash from your home ground and the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL, Geelong would be uncompetitive both on and off the field.
How long do you think Geelong would survive if it were to relocate to Marvel as it's home ground? On the other hand, if it did relocate, it would likely have a better chance of successfully lobbying for home finals.
Have you ever seen your club's home ground? If you think Geelong will ever again get home finals there, you're dreaming. It just won't happen.

nighty night best you get some sleep.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still the point is valid. Without the cash from your home ground and the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL, Geelong would be uncompetitive both on and off the field.
How long do you think Geelong would survive if it were to relocate to Marvel as it's home ground? On the other hand, if it did relocate, it would likely have a better chance of successfully lobbying for home finals.
Have you ever seen your club's home ground? If you think Geelong will ever again get home finals there, you're dreaming. It just won't happen.

Have no idea how geelong would go if we moved to docklands, because we are based in the city of geelong not melbourne. Ask the people of geelong if they would move down or if they would cancel their memberships. May as well move fremantle west coast brisbane sydney etc to melbourne as well and see how they go financially.

Geelong is a viable market with a strong footy base so of cause we are viable and do well down there.

I really am struggling to see what your talking about.

It sounds like your telling me that geelong is only doing well because we are situated in a city that is big on footy and we make alot of money because of that and if we moved to melbourne away from a lucrative city of footy fans we might struggle. Well duh. No different to if west coast moved out of perth and to melbourne

Have no idea how geelong would go if we moved to docklands, because we are based in the city of geelong not melbourne. Ask the people of geelong if they would move down or if they would cancel their memberships. May as well move fremantle west coast brisbane sydney etc to melbourne as well and see how they go financially.

Geelong is a viable market with a strong footy base so of cause we are viable and do well down there.

I really am struggling to see what your talking about.

It sounds like your telling me that geelong is only doing well because we are situated in a city that is big on footy and we make alot of money because of that and if we moved to melbourne away from a lucrative city of footy fans we might struggle. Well duh. No different to if west coast moved out of perth and to melbourne
Last time I looked at the map, Perth was a lot further from Melbourne than Geelong. Has the Australian government finally done the right thing by victimised and entitled West Coast supporters and relocated Melbourne to Perth?

But to address your question: Unlike any other Victorian club, Geelong has retained it's urban home ground even though Geelong is basically a suburb of Melbourne these days. The taxpayer largely funded your home ground so you have no debt and make a substantial portion of your income through gate receipts. Compare that to Marvel tenants like the Bulldogs and Kangaroos.
When it comes to finals, it's not just the capacity, it's the very unusual shape of the ground. I'm surprised any professional football is allowed to be played there at all, much less finals. You just wonder what was going through their heads when they came up with and approved that lopsided design. Really incompetent stuff.
Anyway, it's just not realistic to think that finals will ever again be played there. Feel fortunate that you're allowed to play any games there at all.

Yeah I know, but making only the interstate clubs play finals there plainly disadvantages those clubs when compared to the Melbourne clubs.

Absolutely, this is essentially rewarding clubs on the field for drawing crowds off the field. All 11 home games in Geelong and either either all hosted finals or none. Any other option is manifestly unfair both to us and to the interstate clubs.

OP has quite a valid point which exposes yet again the holes in the AFL logic. If there are either no crowds or socially distant crowds that means capacity is no issue so therefore there should be no issue with us playing our finals in Geelong this year - since the AFL logic is based on drawing crowds not any consistent logic as far as equity.

If there are no crowds then yes, play anyone at GMHBA.

If there are crowds that exceed GMHBA's capacity, Geelong will play big drawing clubs at the MCG. It shouldn't be the case but the AFL's money-first mentality will enforce this

They should play no finals there

The only Victorian club with a true home ground. Lop-sided ground as well, giving more advantage.

All other Victorian clubs share their home ground.

So Geelong get huge home ground advantage against other Victorian clubs (locking opposition supporters out of their small ground), plus they get signficant exposure to the MCG (unlike other interstate clubs).

The best leg up in the whole league.

But, but we are a country club based in Geelong. Oh how convenient.

Absolutely, this is essentially rewarding clubs on the field for drawing crowds off the field. All 11 home games in Geelong and either either all hosted finals or none. Any other option is manifestly unfair both to us and to the interstate clubs.
In the home and away season, Geelong should be able to play all of it's home games at it's home ground (although I doubt it's hierarchy really want to despite their dog whistling) Just as Richmond and Collingwood should be able to play all of their home games at their home ground (can you imagine the howls of indignation from West Coast supporters were that to be allowed). But finals are different IMO, both historically and practically.

One of the complaints I've heard from a couple Geelong supporters is that because of the poor capacity, it's hard to get in to see a couple of games a year. You've got to have an expensive membership with reserved seats, meaning watching Geelong live at home is very much restricted to it's wealthiest supporters. Don't know how true that is.
Another complaint I heard (this was with regards to their home game against Richmond in 2017) was that they only sell single seats to visitors, so a mate of mine who wanted to take his young kids was told they'd be separated. I think Geelong needs to take a much more mature approach to this sort of thing if their demand for more games at Kardinia are to be taken seriously. Although I haven't heard of it happening with the smaller clubs that play there. Given Richmond has been the only big club to play there with any frequency this century, perhaps it was a specific tactic to limit numbers and maximise HGA.

All Victorian clubs play their finals at the MCG. Always have with rare exception. It's fair and it won't change.
How is it fair when certain clubs play at that venue much more often than others?

How is it fair when a certain Victorian club with the most members, at the 'home final' of another Victorian club which is located outside Melbourne, is able to fill 90% of the seating?

No.

As the one final they got given due to unusual circumstances in the past proved, doing this will only inspire more whinging in the future. (I know, it's hard to believe Geelong fans can whinge any more, but ... )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back