Opinion Should Geelong v West Coast be played at GMHBA Stadium next week?

Should the Gee v WCE final be played at GMHBA Stadium?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

20K still doesn't justify keeping it at the MCG. If it was 40-50K supporters, then ok.

Geelong finished higher than West Coast. If the crowd doesn't justify playing it at the MCG, Geelong should absolutely host it at KP.

This is peak Vic Bias. Basically, you are saying "Geelong should play Melbourne teams at the MCG and Non Melbourne teams at KP". Therefore not exposing yourself to the massive challenge of playing Geelong at KP but other teams do. AFL needs consistency on this, either all Geelong home finals are at KP, or all Geelong home finals are at MCG.

20K still doesn't justify keeping it at the MCG. If it was 40-50K supporters, then ok.

Geelong finished higher than West Coast. If the crowd doesn't justify playing it at the MCG, Geelong should absolutely host it at KP.

Yeah 20k and let's say, 40k Geelong supporters is already 60. Could easily draw 60k. Even 20 is more than half Kardinia's capacity. Eagles are a huge club, this'll be a blockbuster the AFL can make a lot of money out of.

This is peak Vic Bias. Basically, you are saying "Geelong should play Melbourne teams at the MCG and Non Melbourne teams at KP". Therefore not exposing yourself to the massive challenge of playing Geelong at KP but other teams do. AFL needs consistency on this, either all Geelong home finals are at KP, or all Geelong home finals are at MCG.

I don't think they are saying that at all.

Geelong played Carlton, the Bulldogs, North, St Kilda, and Melbourne at GMHBA this year. West Coast should not have a problem playing there...

If it is not our final and we didn't have the crowd numbers, sure why not. If we were any good, we would win there too.

Sounds like the West Coast fans are scared of the thought of actually going at GMHBA.
Of course I would rather face them at the MCG. All 17 other clubs would rather it.

If Collingwood get to play them there, everyone should. Otherwise any integrity remaining in the fixture is destroyed.

I'm not sure what Docklands would really achieve, you're still potentially locking out 10k or more fans and Geelong play more games in the regular season at the MCG, at least that was the case this year.

It should not even be a debate purely for integrity reasons. Either play all home finals in Geelong or none. No middle ground.

Any background on the Freo final there? '13 was it? How interstate teams have the Cats played against in finals at the G?
not sure, i think because it was just after Geelong had done major upgrades to Kardinia Park, they were granted a finals game, only because it was a low drawing crowd team in Fremantle.
in hindsight i reckon the AFL regrets this, has opened up a massive can of worms, plus a whole lot of new found whinging and whining

Absolutely, cats were robbed lmao

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

LOL, you mean robbed by Richmond in 2017? Unlike other Melbourne based clubs, we won't have an advantage playing Geelong at MCG. I would be more than happy to play Geelong in a final at KP when the AFL decides all Geelong home finals are played there. Until then, the suggestion that we need to go there and you or Collingwood don't is inherently unfair.

No they didn't. Finals don't care.
It's home state up until the GF assuming contractual obligations can be met, then it's "home" team at the G.
Top four gets you the double
4th can host 2nd in a prelim for example, ladder position sets the match ups and the state they happen in and that's it
Brisbane played a home prelim at MCG.
West coast have played a home semi at MCG.
The "home state" final has been ignored completely in the past.
AFL decides where finals are played to maximise revenue at the disadvantage of fairness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure, i think because it was just after Geelong had done major upgrades to Kardinia Park, they were granted a finals game, only because it was a low drawing crowd team in Fremantle.
in hindsight i reckon the AFL regrets this, has opened up a massive can of worms, plus a whole lot of new found whinging and whining

True Freo are significantly smaller than WC. Giants, GC, Port would probably have to play there too.

The AFL wouldn't lock out 60K supporters. There's no chance of that happening.

Geelong don't play West Coast at the MCG in the home and away season. Why should that start now?

True Freo are significantly smaller than WC. Giants, GC, Port would probably have to play there too.
No one should have to play there at all if you have a situation where some get to avoid the trip and some don't in a finals situation.

Fremantle got screwed in 2013 but still came through to their great credit.

We did play them there also.

I am aware of that. I specifically listed the Victorian sides as the post said that Victorian teams do not play at GMHBA.

Most of those teams have played there this year. As well as West Coast. Should be at GMHBA based on that.

I am aware of that. I specifically listed the Victorian sides as the post said that Victorian teams do not play at GMHBA.

Most of those teams have played there this year. As well as West Coast. Should be at GMHBA based on that.

The original post of mine that you were quoted was referring to Geelong v Melbourne teams during finals series.

Lov'n the essendon salt, same 2 posters all over the board...PURE GOLD.
Umm I'm the only Essendon supporter in here and I definitely am not salty. I'd rather West Coast win it all again then any of the other Vic flogs.

Still, Geelong should be able to host West Coast in Geelong.

No.

I want another week of Chris Scott melts.

giphy.gif
A week of his melts? That's only about 2% of his repertoire.

Back