Opinion Should Geelong v West Coast be played at GMHBA Stadium next week?

Should the Gee v WCE final be played at GMHBA Stadium?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
That's beside the point.

What's beside the point is the idea that when you entered the competition should have some bearing on the idea of fairness. Just because Geelong was part of the comp since the beginning doesn't mean that your grievances are relevant and ours are not.

You actually sound like a self entitled Melbourne based club right now with your whole "love it or leave it" schtick

What's beside the point is the idea that when you entered the competition should have some bearing on the idea of fairness. Just because Geelong was part of the comp since the beginning doesn't mean that your grievances are relevant and ours are not.

You actually sound like a self entitled Melbourne based club right now with your whole "love it or leave it" schtick
No the idea that GF's should be played at Optus is entitlement. The GF has always been at the MCG (accept the odd occasion when Waverley was used) and you blokes knew this when you decided to accept the license.

You didn't have to accept. That's my point.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
No the idea that GF's should be played at Optus is entitlement. The GF has always been at the MCG and you blokes knew this when you decided to accept the license.

Difference being Optus is a state of the art facility that wins international awards for architecture, and the other looks like my local under 12's oval with half a wing.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Deep down we all know it should be at GMHBA, like last week lso should have been. Enough of the crowd size etc, you earn the final, it gets played at your ground

When did that start they been playing their finals at the MCG for 120 years.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
No the idea that GF's should be played at Optus is entitlement. The GF has always been at the MCG (accept the odd occasion when Waverley was used) ...
And likewise the exact same argument applies for all Victorian home state finals - they should all be played at the MCG or, if more than two on a weekend, then at Docklands.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
No the idea that GF's should be played at Optus is entitlement. The GF has always been at the MCG (accept the odd occasion when Waverley was used) and you blokes knew this when you decided to accept the license.

And like the GF always being at the MCG (except the odd occasion when Waverly was used) Geelong's finals have always been at the MCG (except for one occasion when there was 3 other games in Melbourne and KP was used).

And like the GF always being at the MCG (except the odd occasion when Waverly was used) Geelong's finals have always been at the MCG (except for one occasion when there was 3 other games in Melbourne and KP was used).
If West Coast gain access to Optus should they earn the right to host Geelong then Geelong should have the same entitlement at their home ground when hosting West Coast.

It won't matter anyway and that's my last post on the subject.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
If West Coast gain access to Optus should they earn the right to host Geelong then Geelong should have the same entitlement at their home ground when hosting West Coast.

So the Grand Final should be at Optus?

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Geelong are 16 w 2 L at home in Geelong over the last two years and 6w 8 L at the MCG w4 L 2 at the MCG this year.
Just sayin because thats very interesting.
The Eagles gave up some of their home ground advantage by moving to a stadium with similar dimensions to the MCG nearly two years ago.Its not actully the fortress that Subi was and we are beatable at Optus if your good enough.
Seems like we embrace the concept of a Natioal league more than VFL teams do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

If we didn't accept, that would have been curtains for the VFL.

Bankrupt

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Geelong are a good club but they are in the box seat and the most advantaged as an AFL team regards home games.They play 9 home games at their own unique home ground and most of their away games an hour or so drive away at the two Melbourne grounds.That is a real advantage and goes some of the way to explaining why they have the best win loss record in recent AFL times.
I have no issues with them playing finals at the MCG just on that.Might seem a bit rough but you know rough with the smooth.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Nope, I'm telling them not to give money to the greedy grubs from the AFL. Surely it's not that hard to comprehend.

If free corporate seats fall into their hands by all means ...

You're coming across as a little desperate here.
Cockarfit is the exact type of Geelong supporter that holds the club back from ever getting their 11 home games at the Cattery, or Finals down there as well.

Happy to take corporate deals(which couldn't possibly exist at KP) when is suits him. He is easily bought.

No doubt he'll be happy to make the trip to the preliminary final against Richmond at their home ground as well.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

Sure it is, there there.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
A true head scratcher this one, let me think. Geelong can campaign for finals to be played at gmh whatever and that is fine. WC, if it makes a GF campaign's for the game to be played at Optus and they are a pack of whingers who should know their place. Logic does not know it's place here.......at all.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Thats a fair enough point of view, remember when ALL finals were played in Melbourne, that evolved to clubs earning the right to play finals at home, EARNED except for the GF.

Geelong are getting absolutely shafted just as West Coast got shafted last year having to play the Grand Final away.

The whole "more people can watch so they have to play at the MCG" argument is stupid and unfair. The AFL only care about money.
Exactly. I don't understand why people can't see this is just about money and not fairness? I'm Melbourne based so MCG games benefit me more than just being able to get a seat, its also closer to home. Yet still, Geelong as a team and region is lambasted for wanting to play their home games at the home ground they and the government have poured tens of millions into upgrading over the last decade.

People crap on about Geelong being an hour down the road etc which at the best of times is true, but on a Friday arvo good luck with that. You may aswell include the NSW and SA teams then since they're both less than an hour on a plane.

The AFL won't change in the immediate future as over the last few decades all of the Melbourne based clubs have been forced away from their traditional home grounds and instead of harking back to tradition I'm sure the AFL will do the same thing to Geelong. We'll end up with 10 Victorian sides playing home games at the same two venues, one of which is completely soulless and just an average standard.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
The real longer-term solution to all of this is for Geelong to have a stadium with 50k plus capacity and in the shape of an oval instead of the letter 'D'.

As for the Grand Final - Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and even Geelong teams should be able to host the biggest game if they are the highest seed WHEN/IF they are willing to upgrade their stadiums to at least 75k capacity.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Geelong are getting absolutely shafted just as West Coast got shafted last year having to play the Grand Final away.

The whole "more people can watch so they have to play at the MCG" argument is stupid and unfair. The AFL only care about money.

How inconvenient would it be for Head Office personnel (all) if the game wasnt played in Melbourne, what would it do to cricket club membership?
We need to remember there are a large group of people who are entitled to go to the GF & they all live in Melbourne.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Question - do Geelong supporters realise that if they win and play us at the MCG that they will be getting a significant advantage in playing an away preliminary final at a neutral venue?

Back