Should HAVE brought back FITZROY

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not a massive AFLW fan (maybe go to one game a year at Whitten oval as local)
But I feel an opportunity missed not to bring back FITZROY in the AFLW.

Thoughts

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
Fitzroy compete in the VAFA, and it's not likely the club could afford to compete for a licence and then afford the staff, players, etc required to run a club.

It's a nice idea for the romantics among us, but not going to happen.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is the Fitzroy youth club.

1584274871167.png

While he's allowed to have a beer with them, Jack Irish isn't old enough to join the youth club, he's just allowed to visit coz his dad was a bloody good footy player.

The Fitzroy youth club if it provided an AFLW team, would have Beryl, Mavis, Edna and others. Some of them are on a second hip replacement and might not appreciate being tackled to the ground anymore (though the pool cleaner at the retirement home is pretty cute)...

Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not a massive AFLW fan (maybe go to one game a year at Whitten oval as local)
But I feel an opportunity missed not to bring back FITZROY in the AFLW.

Thoughts
There have been whispers the past couple of years that they would push for a VFLW team. But fizzling out of the VAFA A grade to be in the B Grade may have put paid to that for a while.

Never say never though.

Fitzroy's AFLW presence grew again last season. Look at this potent mixture of talent and courage:

fitzroyaflw.jpg

Ellie McKenzie, Nell Morris-Dalton, Maddy Guerin and Molly Eastman are Roy Girls to the core, no doubt about that.

Rylie Wilcox might not have spent too long at Fitzroy but it was certainly during a key phase of her development.

Ashleigh Riddell can't not be claimed by Eltham. Nevertheless it was her comeback season in 2016 with Fitzroy at 20yo which, let me humbly suggest, altered the course of history and changed the way we think about space and time.

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree Roys would have been good to bring them back also South Melbourne swans in place of Sydney would have been better.

Also the western bulldogs to be renamed footscray in the aflw.

To me the way the aflw is its fake.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Fitzroy's AFLW presence grew again last season. Look at this potent mixture of talent and courage:

View attachment 1580576

Ellie McKenzie, Nell Morris-Dalton, Maddy Guerin and Molly Eastman are Roy Girls to the core, no doubt about that.

Rylie Wilcox might not have spent too long at Fitzroy but it was certainly during a key phase of her development.

Ashleigh Riddell can't not be claimed by Eltham. Nevertheless it was her comeback season in 2016 with Fitzroy at 20yo which, let me humbly suggest, altered the course of history and changed the way we think about space and time.
Teen Wolf were you, or your family, a Royboy who went over to North when the merger happened?

Back