Autopsy Should have Could have - but didn't. Down by 2 against Port

Rampe has turned back the clock this year. Only 2 goals kicked on him, 1 was a bullshit free and the other was an excellent contested mark. Absolute champion

Ollie had a great game from half back. Deserved to kick that

Warner has good forward drive if nothing else

Papley was our only forward who looked dangerous. Amartey jumped a lot but that's it. McDonald looked to get ignored a lot

I really hope both McCartins are OK. Probably can't play next week due to the concussion protocalls

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Well that sucks. Don't want to lay the boot into Florent, not thinking about the last kick, but still don't quite understand why we try to get the ball in his hands coming from the back half.

Super wasteful in front of goals from Heeney and Papely from set shots cost us I think in the end.

Warner did his best for us.

Hope Paddy is ok.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Damn that's a bad loss.

I will say, don't think it's an effort issue. More skills under pressure. Also worth noting the effect of losing our two biggest defenders in the first half which was always going to make things tough.

If I'm generous, I'll say it reminds me of Geelong in the first few rounds of 2007. Hopefully we follow a similar trajectory.

Citrus22

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
The whole defence was exceptional for most of the game, did so well to cover losing two key defenders. Mids were shocking in the second quarter but responded well in the 2nd half. Forward structure was all over the place and Heeney and Bud out of form killed us. Too many missed set shots like last week. Papley really the only shining light down there but couldn't do his trademark drag us over the line tonight.

Mids playing in spurts too frequently on a whole. Gulden, Warner and Rowbottom are still young so you dont always expect a complete 4 quarter game from them but Mills and Parker have not been consistent enough this season for experienced players. They stood up 3rd quarter then went missing again late. Not good enough.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Boys need to be pulled in for an early morning beach session followed by a harsh tape review. Need to get our heads screwed back on and go back to the basics that got us so far last year.

If I see bombs not under pressure next week I will spew.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Look 2005, 2006 and 2022 were undeniably not good starts as well, probably we will need to hang in there and start climbing up midway through the season. We finished fast in 2021 and 2022. Just dont lose sight of the 8 by the bye.

But indeed probably about 3-4 changes will happen with the McCartin brothers out.

MK38

All Australian
Oct 3, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
We aren't great at the moment but to write off players and the team in round 4 is a bit silly imo. A lot around here wrote off the team after the Essendon loss last year and we made a grand final. Disappointed with the loss but really I am more concerned 're the McCartin boys. Hopefully they are both ok especially Paddy.

May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMU Mustangs, Matildas
It's early in the season, but let's face it ... our future does not have Buddy in it. Certainly not in a starring role. Hope the coach has the balls to make some tough decisions.

Goodness knows what happens with Paddy. I've always been surprised that he's playing, to be honest. Maybe a couple of spots are about to open up.

Great game from Warner and Rampe. Gulden was good. Foxy right back amongst it. Ollie had a great night.

I even see some real promise in Ladhams.

Umpires were unbelievably bad... among the worst performances I have ever seen.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
We aren't great at the moment but to write off players and the team in round 4 is a bit silly imo. A lot around here wrote off the team after the Essendon loss last year and we made a grand final. Disappointed with the loss but really I am more concerned 're the McCartin boys. Hopefully they are both ok especially Paddy.
Cunners and Waywood can f off

Artygunner

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Jesus - everyone throwing the toys out the cot here. Rampe out tallest defender who was sublime. 2 key defenders down. 2 rotations down early in the season and not fully match fit. That would have been brutal. To nearly win that game was actually a good effort. Yes, Port are tripe and we should have won but Jesus the boys tried.

Buddy offered sweet f all. Harry Cunningham might have played his last game for us as well. But a lot of the boys stood up when it counted.

Our young lads keep on growing. Next week should be interesting. Both McCartins won’t be in so I would assume that Rampe and Francis play KPD and Gould has the chance to debut. Fox takes Cunningham’s position. Sheldrick the sub.

Back