Should i contact fairwork?

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi people.
I have just finished year 1 of an adult apprenticeship but the last few months it has been increasingly hard to get my pay. In early January my pay (meant to be Fortnightly) was 11 days late so i cracked it and told my boss and his wife that this needs to stop. That same day i got long winded SMS saying my employment was going from full-time to part-time and was not required for the rest of week, i then asked about my parttime hours on the following friday and got a SMS on the sunday saying my employment has been terminated immediately and i should look for a transfer or a new job entirely.

So in a nut shell, i was given no notice and now im being completely dicked around on a weeks pay and the holiday pay im owed which is about 3 weeks worth that should have been payed into my account 11 days ago. Everything pretty much went down over SMS which i have kept for the record, i just want my pay so i can forget these scumbags exist.

Can fairwork do anything at all and do i even have a case?
Contact the apprenticeship board, your apprenticeship agency & seek advice. Being an apprentice there are contracts signed with the government. It's next to impossible for an employer to, cut your hrs or sack you

Cuzdup

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
What ended up happening Cuzdup ?
Ended up being paid out enough to keep me satisfied before having to take legal action. I cant remember the exact figure but it ended up beimg something like all my holidays plus a few extra weeks (weeks worked plus some). Mid 2017 i hit them up again once i realized they hadnt paid a cent into my superannuation account and they quickly added some funds into that without any fuss.
Was definately a shitty period and they no doubt still owe me some cash but im glad i pushed the issue and squeezed what I could out of them without taking things to court. I pretty much stepped straight back into my old mining job after this episode and although I was pretty bitter at these small time crooks i really just wanted to cut them loose as dead weight so i could continue to move forward.

Thanks to everyone that lent support here, my gratitude is overdue but this forum was big help.

Aug 17, 2008
Devonport
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ended up being paid out enough to keep me satisfied before having to take legal action. I cant remember the exact figure but it ended up beimg something like all my holidays plus a few extra weeks (weeks worked plus some). Mid 2017 i hit them up again once i realized they hadnt paid a cent into my superannuation account and they quickly added some funds into that without any fuss.
Was definately a shitty period and they no doubt still owe me some cash but im glad i pushed the issue and squeezed what I could out of them without taking things to court. I pretty much stepped straight back into my old mining job after this episode and although I was pretty bitter at these small time crooks i really just wanted to cut them loose as dead weight so i could continue to move forward.

Thanks to everyone that lent support here, my gratitude is overdue but this forum was big help.
good on ya. At least you didn't let them get away with it;):thumbsu:

Good to hear. As an employer who tries to do the right thing, it really does give me the shits to hear of this sort of thing. Glad it ended up ok(ish). Sounds like you have landed on your feet.

Glad to hear you had a somewhat OK outcome, didn't need to pursue draining legal routes (sometimes the money isn't worth it) and were able to move on pretty quickly :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Back