Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

Remove this Banner Ad

"26 Mar 2020, 18:03 (2 days ago)

Dear Bomberboyokay,

Regrettably, this has been one of the most difficult weeks in my time at the club.

Following the suspension of the 2020 season, all of our players are now on leave as we move to navigate through this incredibly difficult period.

The sheer nature of this global crisis has meant that due to circumstances beyond our control, our club, and the broader competition, is in an unprecedented situation.

In response to this significant challenge, we have moved to drastically cut operating costs to help the club get through this period.

As a result, the club made the heartbreaking decision this week to stand down more than 75 per cent of our staff, across every operational area of the club, until further notice.

A minimum number of staff will now work on severely reduced hours to ensure the club remains operational during the suspension period, which is due to run until at least May 31.

These extremely tough decisions were not taken lightly but were made to protect the club in the short term and the employment of our people for the long term.

As you are aware, this situation continues to change at a rapid pace, and it is an incredibly complex matter – not just for our club and industry, but the community more broadly.

There are so many challenges. For you, our members, in your own lives. And for us, the club, as we work our way through this dire position.

The club generates most of its operating revenue from our commercial partners, members, corporate partners, and fans attending games.

By addressing our expenditure immediately, we hope to minimise the future impact of this crisis and be able to quickly bounce back as a club when games recommence.

For our members, we understand there are still many questions we have not been able to answer, but until we have certainty on the season, we ask for your patience and understanding. The scheduled member payment plans will continue for the time being, when we have full visibility of the season and fixture, we will be able to provide more information on what we can offer members.

As a club, we fully respect everyone’s personal circumstances are different, and we will continue to work through scenarios and frameworks for dealing with the impact of this issue on our members.

We are hurting, but we know these hardships are widespread. It’s much bigger than us.

So please know the Essendon family is hurting together and we will get through this together.

These are unchartered waters and there is much uncertainty across our community.

I am proud of all our people, our staff, for the way they are navigating this complex and challenging issue for the club. And, although there are still many significant challenges ahead, I know these people will continue to go above and beyond to ensure our future.
I know you all love this football club. l love it as well, I always have. We will get through this. The game of Australian Football is unique. Football clubs are unique. We are our own version of a family. And we will get through this together.

It has never been more important to look after one another than now. Please continue to follow all advice from the relevant medical and health authorities as well as the advice from the Australian Government.

Take care of your loved ones and look after yourselves as we continue to stop the spread of this virus.

Once again, on behalf of everyone at the Essendon Football Club, we thank our loyal members and supporters for their unwavering support during these uncertain times.

Regards,

Xavier Campbell
Chief Executive Officer"

Continuing to take money with no plans to return it.

Why dont you just cancel the direct debit at your bank? Too bad for those who pay upfront but they have no shame taking monthly direct debits like this, particularly if a member is asking for respite.

Why dont you just cancel the direct debit at your bank? Too bad for those who pay upfront but they have no shame taking monthly direct debits like this, particularly if a member is asking for respite.

For AFL Members at least, this means the 2020 membership would become invalid and the member would lose their Gold status or lose their place in the Silver queue.

Don’t be a grub..support your club.
Just like the players are supporting the Afl?

Everybody has a right to a refund imo

They want supporters to stick around to support their players who are whinging about losing a bit of pay

They can GAGF

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Impossible, a woman wouldn't marry a man who earns less than her
My wife earns three times what I earn, I’m we
I paid $500 for an AFL membership, if 17 round season goes ahead I'm happy to cop losing 5 rounds.

If no more games go ahead with crowds, then I want a free membership for 2021.

If only like 10 games go ahead this year I want discounted membership in 2021
Me me me me me
Just like the players are supporting the Afl?

Everybody has a right to a refund imo

They want supporters to stick around to support their players who are whinging about losing a bit of pay

They can GAGF

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
When the game is given the all clear to come back we except the players to have maintained an elite level of fitness and come back to play for our entertainment. Give them what they want.

Jeff Kennet saying only 2 of Hawthorns 70 000 members have asked for a refund. Lol. The clubs and AFL media will be going all out to try and shame fans into letting them keep the money
I suspect that the 45,000 pet members are working on a way to let Jeff know that they want their money back or at least a pro rata mars pet food voucher.

Perhaps I'm swimming against the stream, but given that the season is now suspended, a refund for failure to provide services should be offered for club memberships due to covid 19

My club is refusing to offer refunds. Before you abuse/judge/can me...please provide a legitimate argument as to why I am a mercenary and hate my club.

I am passionate about my club, but I signed up to 11 home games with multiple memberships. They are specifically "11 home game" memberships.
Hang your head in shame pal.

Don't get me started on Gil taking a 20% pay cut and asking the playing group to take 80%...

Not a huge rap for Gil, but it's a bit apples/oranges comparing CEOs to players/coaches. In-season is a relatively quiet period, which is why they often take holidays in the middle of the season.

It seems pretty clear to me: you're entitled to a refund and depending on personal circumstances, many people should naturally pursue that. It's on the clubs to see how much they can minimise the damage.

I'd suggest that the 'we need your money now, so we'll just keep it' approach would ultimately cause disgruntled members to leave en masse the following year and a credit for next year would kill a critical source of revenue in 2021.

If I was a club, I'd think about a discount on the current level of membership over the next 3-5 years to continue as a member. It guarantees money will still come in while rewarding the loyalty of supporters who contributed during the 2020 season.

It's interesting though how quickly we supporters realise just how much more this industry needs us than we need them when something like this happens. Normally clubs reward returning members by graciously offering things like 'price freezes' to blindly commit to a membership before a certain date (invariably before next season's fixture has even been released and before the draft/trade period has concluded).

Even supporting Geelong, where many would see 2020 as the last chance for this group to win a premiership, right now I couldn't give a stuff if the season goes ahead later in the year or not. I'd tuned out of this season and was just wondering why the hell they were still playing by about half time of Richmond v Carlton.

My wife earns three times what I earn, I’m we

Me me me me me

When the game is given the all clear to come back we except the players to have maintained an elite level of fitness and come back to play for our entertainment. Give them what they want.
Yep because 'me' paid the $500

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean sure, your club can collapse then. I suppose your happy to ask for a refund then demand the AFL bail out your club when it inevitably crumbles this year because it's broke...

Surely he's just following the example set by the players. Such an upstanding bunch in these times.

Legalities

I'm an Adelaide Crows Gold Member with category 2 seats at Adelaide Oval
My membership is $750

By the time the shortened season and then crowd lockouts were announced, I had already paid $375 (Now $450)

If I cancelled the next $75 payment, I have now broken the terms and conditions. Therefore, how am I meant to get a refund?

If I pay the remaining $300, I fulfill my obligation to the membership. But if the club/league cant fulfill theirs, the club/league is in the wrong, im in the right. and I should be entitled to a near full refund.

On one hand, I surrender $450
On the other, I give up $300 in the short term to get $600 back.

Go -$450
or +$250 from where I am now.

Yeah, I give up $300 in the mean time. But Id rather lose $300 for 4 months than lose $450 for eternity.

Jeff Kennett saying only 2 of Hawthorns 70 000 members have asked for a refund. Lol. The clubs and AFL media will be going all out to try and shame fans into letting them keep the money
The two cancelled memberships belonged to my pet cat and my labrador. They called the club when I ducked out to get some groceries- cheeky f#ckers...

Everyone who cancels should never be allowed to go in the member ballot for a grand final ticket. Weak as piss campaigners. At the time the club needs you most you are bailing.

Clubs take the money and yet the players are whinging they aren't getting full pay...how about the players show an ounce of leading from the front.

People would have less of an issue if next year their membership fees were reduced or given for free.

Last edited:
Would they even care if it's not?

I don't recall what's in my membership 'contract', but if they are moving the games by months, then there is a significant change to the contract and thus it is broken by the club.

Most memberships are for “X” number of home games too. If I’m paying $500+ I don’t care what the circumstances are, I get what I paid for. Otherwise a refund or a credit (next year) should be given.

Everyone who cancels should never be allowed to go in the member ballot for a grand final ticket. Weak as piss campaigners. At the time the club needs you most you are bailing.
Channel 7 are the same, I can't believe they are pulling out their money for the TV rights right when the AFL needs them. So much for a broadcast 'partner'

"Weak as piss campaigners"

Haven't they ever heard of a 'donation'

:rolleyes:

Most memberships are for “X” number of home games too. If I’m paying $500+ I don’t care what the circumstances are, I get what I paid for. Otherwise a refund or a credit (next year) should be given.
What if they have them all on Wednesday mornings at 10am or 12 days in a row from 6-17th December from 3am-5am

The timing absolutely does matter, it should be March to Oct and generally over the weekends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back