Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

Remove this Banner Ad

Members having to take it upon themselves to go begging to their clubs for a refund is not a solution.
Until footy is officially cancelled, I think it is. The season is on hiatus, it hasn’t been cancelled. Clubs aren’t going to run around dishing out full refunds for a season that could still be in the cards.

With respect, he pushed him because his simple yes or no question wasn't answered.

Yep.

Tony Jones straightforward question:

"If a member comes to you and says they want their money back, will you give their money back?"

Why not just say

"Yes we would [answers the question], but we would hope they would continue tp fnancially support the club in 2020 in what are very difficult times for the club. And there is still the possibility of games to be played this year " [nuance].

Last edited:
Eddie did not directly answer the question, which was 'are supporters able to get a refund if they require it'.

Fluffing on about speak to the club about various financial hardship options and crying poor about the club is not a direct answer to that very simple question.
Yes he did; he said if they need help the club will help them.

The fee is not a transaction for a service, the fee is your contribution to the community.

The fee is a transaction for a service. Admiittance into home games for that club and depending on the level of membership perhaps with other benefits such as voting rights in club elections.

Of course you should be able to, especially if you're facing financial hardship at the moment due to the pandemic.

Me personally though, my wage is fortunately safe and I'm happy to support the club through this tough time even if it unfortunately means I won't be able to go to a game this season.
Won't be going to the snow this winter?

Until footy is officially cancelled, I think it is. The season is on hiatus, it hasn’t been cancelled. Clubs aren’t going to run around dishing out full refunds for a season that could still be in the cards.

There is no full season possible this year. We are already down to a maximim of 16 games with attendance this year. That's the limit.

I'm not expecting them to dish out automatic refunds. What I am expecting of the clubs, if they are to call them community based clubs, to offer something more than an expection of members already facing hardship to come begging, cap in hand on bended knee.

Yep.

Tony Jones straightforward question:

"If a member comes to you and says they want their money back, will you give their money back?"

Why not just say

"Yes we would [answers the question], but we would hope they would continue tp fnancially support the club in 2020 in what are very difficult times for the club. And there is still the possibility of games to be played this year " [nuance].

Even with an answer like that I think the membership department could still expect hundreds of calls tomorrow with people saying that “Ed said you would give me a refund, Ed said yes.” I can understand why he doesn’t want to give a straightforward answer when the plans for the year aren’t in place yet from the AFL’s end or the club’s end.

However, for what was just meant to be a simple channel 9 cross promotion on the evening news, there was a tad too much theatre.

People are buying into that WWE nonsense between Eddie and Chompers?

AFL media are currently 100 times more demented and desperate than they are during trade week when nothing happens.

Kane Cornes is even having fake fights with that rock ape from the NRL to keep the news ticking over.

Even with an answer like that I think the membership department could still expect hundreds of calls tomorrow with people saying that “Ed said you would give me a refund, Ed said yes.”

So, if they want them are club members entitled to refunds or not? Even if the AFL is able to eventually play matches, its almost certain it won't be in front of crowds.

It will be a bit like cancelling Foxtel or other subscriptions at the moment.
If you make it through to the end of the process, you can cancel and be refunded, but they'll do everything possible to not make it happen.

They won’t offer a refund right now - they can argue it is undetermined what they are able to provide based on the circumstances.

Consider that money spent and hope for either refund down the line or a credit towards next season.

I expect clubs to do something like this:

* For the Love of the Club Package * - Full Payment of 2020 Membership is retained by your club because you’re a proper supporter and a bloody good bloke - comes with a thumbs up from CEO and a thank you text message from your club captain.

* But I paid last year and got nothing Package * - Partial Credit of 2020 Membership towards your 2021 Membership - to be calculated based on football played. Stern email of disapproval from beloved club great included.

* Dude, Where’s My Cash? package * - Refund, less the cost of membership pack and administration fees and matches played (to be calculated). Considered to be a cancelled membership for 2020, so member will forfeit longevity programs and receive a ‘I GOT A REFUND’ Membership Sticker for 2021 should they choose to rejoin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the reality is that if everyone asks for a refund, we will lose over half our clubs.

The reality is, those who of us who can do more, will be asked to do more. Those who are able to maintain their membership this year, please do so. It might be the difference between clubs folding and being able to keep their door open. Equally, those who are experiencing difficulty, should be allowed a refund, and we shouldn't shame and make people feel bad about the situation in which they find themselves.

Last edited:
The fee is a transaction for a service. Admiittance into home games for that club and depending on the level of membership perhaps with other benefits such as voting rights in club elections.
It’s not a service. It’s a membership. You’re buying into a club. Can’t you as probably ax Fitzroy supporter see the nuance of that?

With respect, he pushed him because his simple yes or no question wasn't answered. That's his job, is to push those being interviewed into answering the question asked.
Wow interviews are supposed to comprised of simple yes or no’s? Thats news to me. That would seem to make for pretty boring viewing.

The way he answered it the first time was a reasonable and honest response. Jones asking the same question again as if to question him and Collingwoods integrity was a cheap shot.

Last edited:
Did Eddie say refunds would be provided? There was a lot of finger pointing and talk of helping people in financial hardship but don't think he ever said refunds would be issued. Might hit up Eddie for a loan.
I don’t think its as simple as just ‘we’ll give anyone refunds’. The club wants to keep their members, and you’d assume despite this hardship, the members want to remain in support of their clubs. Eddies answer indicated to me that they are clearly searching for a middle ground if possible.

Both made themselves look like complete fools. Tony asked a legitimate question and Ed gave him a legitimate answer. Tony pushed him because he’s a clown looking for a headline and Eddie lost his cool for whatever reason I don’t know. Embarrassing show put on by both of them.
‘For whatever reason’... I’d have thought the reason Eddie lost his cool is glaringly obvious given what is going on

Yes he did; he said if they need help the club will help them.

So that is a no unless you are desperate. I am fortunate in that I don't need the money so wont be asking for it back but I don't have a problem with anyone that would. If someone contacts the club asking for a refund (as fans wont be going to games even if we play the season) would the club then be obliged to ask my financial position? and if i said its not their business would I still get a refund?

It’s not a service. It’s a membership. You’re buying into a club. Can’t you as probably ax Fitzroy supporter see the nuance of that?

I'm not an ex-Fitzroy supporter. I'm a 2020 member of the Fitzroy Football Club.

Nevertheless it's still a service. I receive certain benefits in return for paying a membership fee. Like joining a golf club.

There is no full season possible this year. We are already down to a maximim of 16 games with attendance this year. That's the limit.

I'm not expecting them to dish out automatic refunds. What I am expecting of the clubs, if they are to call them community based clubs, to offer something more than an expection of members already facing hardship to come begging, cap in hand on bended knee.
It’s early days still, the clubs can’t commit to cutting off every dollar of revenue via membership. If a member is experiencing hardship, they can call the club and ask for a refund, and that’s exactly what Eddie said. It’s a perfectly legitimate answer that requires more than a simple yes or no.

So that is a no unless you are desperate. I am fortunate in that I don't need the money so wont be asking for it back but I don't have a problem with anyone that would. If someone contacts the club asking for a refund (as fans wont be going to games even if we play the season) would the club then be obliged to ask my financial position? and if i said its not their business would I still get a refund?

Opens a can of worms.

It has to be one rule for all - it will be - Ed is just pretending like they’d consider handing back money to people right now.

In reality he meant “No Tony, if someone asked for a refund tomorrow we would decline that as we are unclear what amount of ‘product’ we are currently able to deliver in 2020.”

The hardship stuff is hot air - there is no money going back to anyone....yet.

I don’t think its as simple as just ‘we’ll give anyone refunds’. The club wants to keep their members, and you’d assume despite this hardship, the members want to remain in support of their clubs. Eddies answer indicated to me that they are clearly searching for a middle ground if possible.
Look I agree with you. But clubs have been taking advantage of the members/fans for a long time now. They talk about how important the fans are but very rarely show that love. It’s been big business for a long time. Club members get 17,000 out of 100,000 tickets for the GF ffs. The fans are treated like s**t but are expected to give give give.

I don't hate Eddie, I actually really respect the man. I just hate his response to this.

He absolutely deserved that quip from Jones, how he can cry poor when the whole reason the question of refunds are coming up is because millions have lost their livelihoods is ridiculous.
Ok, apologies, i shouldn’t have assumed.

Fair enough. I think the Eddie response was justified given Tony tried to question the integrity if him and his club on live TV.

I just do not think its as simple as stating ‘we will issue refunds to everyone who requests’. For example, someone with a reserved Seat home Membership for $500 or whatever a year, they may not be able to afford that exact amount anymore. They hear this statement and go boom cancelled.

However, with what Eddie is saying, you can call them and we will work with you. So, that person who couldn’t afford the $500 a year... The club says how about $100, as well as a discount/upgraded membership next year. That member could potentially afford that $100 and accept those terms.

Instead of the club receiving 0 from that member, and the supporter not being able to support the club in any way.. the club salvages something, and the supporter is able to support in a way that is manageable for them, as well as getting a nice little upgrade next year.

Just an example. But that is how i interpret his statement. I don’t think Tony had the bandwidth to process that live on air, and took it as the club is not taking refunds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back