Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking more to north supporters haha, Collingwood will get through this just fine.

I wonder how different the reaction would be to the quarrel between Chompers and Eddie if it were someone like Peter Gordon...
Well if a smaller club makes way then fingers and toes crossed it’s the lions. I don’t think it will get to that point though

They can’t justify paying players on mega bucks 50% of their wage to sit at home while also asking for people on far less not to get a refund.

I don’t care if it’s the AFL or Clubs that pay the players there is enough money going around clearly

They are one and the same mate.

This is the thing. It's a charity when it suits them. It's a money trough when it suits them.

They're bullshitters.

Absolutely this ^

It always suits for it to be the latter. The whole league has been led and designed for years to increase revenue and profit "to strengthen and grow the game", rule changes, advertising, starting times of games, expansion team locations. All designed to increase revenue, not for the "strengthen and grow the game" rhetoric but to line the pockets of the greedy, suit-wearing, two-faced, holier than thou, virtue signalling, politically correct circle jerkers in the boyz club. You want to know who I'm taking about? have a look at whose still on the books earning 20% of $2mil (400k btw, my heart bleeds...).

A whole bunch of staff have been laid off but people are still there on comparatively huge wages to do sweet fa but make media appearances and desperately try and keep football relevant in a time where it should be biting its lip. For what you ask? you guessed it... $$$

Last edited:

Absolutely there is.

I'm in a really privileged place that not only am I able to sustain my membership which I paid up front, but I went and hit up the Eagles superstore for some merch to help support my club, but I understand that not everyone is in that position.

Under normal circumstances, I think it would be fair to ask a person "why would you sign up just to ask for a refund".

In these times of mass layoffs and reduction in hours many people are facing, I think it was be an arsehole move to shame someone for needing to prioritise what they are spending their money on.

But if the shoe fits, mate...

They kind of have to, they can't provide the service contracted.

I'm not so sure... I would think they are legally able to charge the clubs for the seating as per normal.

Technically the AFL is still hiring the venues for games, regardless of whether they are full or empty.

One thing is for sure, i reckon the AFL and it's teams will be looking a whole lot differently at it's supporters in the future.
The supporters could make em or break em right now, can you feel your power?

And this is exactly what people aren’t understanding. As usual these days it’s all “me, me, me”.

Support your club during a tough time you plebs.
Read a very sad comment by a Fitzroy supporter on Facebook today, puts things into perspective a bit...View attachment 851365

What people are failing to understand is that are clubs are not privately owned, clubs are owned by members. By purchasing a membership, you are in a way purchasing a stake in your club. It's not just a 'service', or a way to get tickets.

You literally become the club.

The AFL always gets what it wants. Fitzroy were going regardless of membership unfortunately. In fact if a few thousand memberships is actually the difference the club won't survive.

One thing is for sure, i reckon the AFL and it's teams will be looking a whole lot differently at it's supporters in the future.
The supporters could make em or break em right now, can you feel your power?

Fans will NEVER be respected.

I think it is pathetic that the clubs are NOT saying: "Refunds available to everyone.... but we desperately need your money".

Instead they say: "Call the club, if you are having HARDSHIP then WE will always be there to HELP YOU"

They say we are the most important people, but even now they don't trust us enough to be straight with us, or trust us to not make a run on our membership money.

They put us in the corner like children.

If FANS want respect, we have to TAKE IT. It will never be given to us. We need a union.

I think it is pathetic that the clubs are NOT saying: "Refunds available to everyone.... but we desperately need your money".

Instead they say: "Call the club, if you are having HARDSHIP then WE will always be there to HELP YOU"

They say we are the most important people, but even now they don't trust us enough to be straight with us, or trust us to not make a run on our membership money.

If FANS want respect, we have to TAKE IT. It will never be given to us. We need a union.
I reckon if EVERY member called in their debt right now panic would ensue.

They kind of have to, they can't provide the service contracted.

So the AFL has dudded them, the AFL has dudded the TV companies, & dont worry a-ha ..... very optimistic. The AFL have lined up a $500m line of credit for a reason.

Why not next season 30% off, what about 50% ...... for 2 or 3 years.

It'll be negotiated but it will cost.

What questions did you ask at last years AGM?
You pay your membership, what did you ask? Do you really care.
Why would you be a member of a club that treats you like a child, vote them out (if you care).

For respect, stand up, act like a descent guy & make your points, its not hard or is it?

The little I've had to do with the Hawks they are pretty good, dont seem to treat fools kindly, I put that down to John Kennedy Snr & Alan Jeans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grand Final by membership tier or add on (more money) tier. Other finals all members buy at the same time.
How are the membership tiers decided, apart from $$$ paid?

Richmond also have a higher paying tier that guarantees a GF ticket, I’m not sure how many have taken that up. After that it comes down to longevity.

50 year members are Yellow and Black members, and I think get a guaranteed GF ticket. 25 years for platinum, 10 years for gold, 5 for silver and initially starting at bronze.

I understand the argument that if you pay more then you get priority, but I do like that I can have a basic adult membership for long enough and the RFC recognise that.

I reckon if EVERY member called in their debt right now panic would ensue.

Of course it would, the membership funds are already spent by most clubs - most of the money from memberships is what keeps the club running during the offseason. TV rights, gate and stadium payments cover ops during the season.

I swear that some people in here forget or aren't aware of what was happening 30 years ago.

I was at that impressionable age (teenage years) to get it.

I hated what the VFL management, the then Footscray board and Fitzroy tried to do at the end of 1989. Some people should never be forgiven for that.

It upset me seeing Richmond and St. Kilda fight so hard to survive. The Richmond of today would not be here now if they didn't have that fight 30 years ago.

That is what is at stake.

Kochie would have given the same answer as Eddie , as he wouldn’t want a mass exodus on Port memberships wanting refunds , nor would he want to speak for the other 17 clubs , which is what TJ was trying to get Eddie to do.
You may well be right in what Kochie would have answered. My point was that Tim Watson would never have asked Kochie in the first place, due to Watson having no interest in Port Adelaide, which TJ does about Collingwood.

I got the impression TJ was looking for a response specific to Collingwood, not for every cub.

I'm willing to donate some of our membership fees to the club, but the $1500 me and the wife pay annually is too much to expect anyone to give up for nothing in return. I think we will be offered a few options with partial refunds and or discount for next year.
I'm 62, financially ok at the moment but unlikely to work much after this economic meltdown, can't afford to be pissing money up against the wall.

As an overseas retiree - in the past I have chosen to support the Tigers as an "overseas member". I got streaming games access, a bumper sticker, lanyard and the satisfaction of supporting the club.

For the last 2 years the club has been saving a few sheckels by sending the membership packs (and the additional team shirts I ordered) by regular post. No option to have at least registered post if I paid. So - given the decrepid state of Aussie Post and their overseas partners - NOTHING ever arrives. So this year - pfffft, I paid for WatchAFL instead .....as I was never getting any packages regardless.

Now - WatchAFL, refuse a refund for the annual fee - sending us all an email today offering to let us watch *replays* this year, and 3 months free access next year. What a crock. With their rip-off fees setup and the abysmal monthly payment option to extend beyond the 3 months, you are going to add an annual fee subscription anyway - so the 3 months "free" is worth NOTHING to us. FoxSports/WatchAFL - you will not get another cents from me or any expats overseas if this is the cr@p option you offer instead of a REFUND. Retirees need every cent - our self-funded super has TANKED like everything else.

Last edited:
What about MCC membership. Should next year’s dues should be reduced by at least 50%?
Don't think the MCC will - MCC members get a terrific deal and the MCC have a waitlist of 100,000

"If you don't like it then walk away" - is the attitude I expect they'll take

AFL Membership might take a similar attitude with full members

Unfortunately where I’m located I can’t get to many games To see my team play. Think I have been once in three years. I buy my membership to help support the club that I follow. I’m not asking for a refund, and I don’t expect a reimbursement next year. The reward for me is seeing my club in existence.

A friend of mine had been working in the conditioning team of a small to medium sized Victorian club for a number of years. He is out of job now but used to say how much waste their was at the club. He said you could cut hundreds of thousands just in his area as all staff were over paid and didn't work that hard compared to other work he had done.

He also always said they were never that bothered with money internally because the AFL needs 18 teams and they felt fairly secure. Of course he wasn't sitting at Board level, this was just the talk amongst the staff.

I think that is why it's hard to get your head around clubs asking supporters for donations.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back