Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am seeing things out there saying the membership is tax deductible, is that a change from previous years or is that just a little known thing that is being made public now? I've never put it on my tax before.

It's something the clubs came up with for this year - they'll basically covert your membership to a donation as there is no game access for members meaning you can claim it on tax.

I said it in out club thread but I think the tax deductible donation is to a registered sports charity that I assume is aligned with the AFL. So you can pledge and forego your membership benefits and let the club keep the money (donation/ pledge, no tax deduction for you) or ask for a portion to be donated to a registered charity on your behalf.

Very unclear wording, many people are going to get into trouble at tax time and I bet the ATO will be on the lookout for this error. Unless something changes, membership fees pledged to AFL clubs are not a tax deduction. AFL clubs are not charities. They just want you to think they are.

I said it in out club thread but I think the tax deductible donation is to a registered sports charity that I assume is aligned with the AFL. So you can pledge and forego your membership benefits and let the club keep the money (donation/ pledge, no tax deduction for you) or ask for a portion to be donated to a registered charity on your behalf.

Very unclear wording, many people are going to get into trouble at tax time and I bet the ATO will be on the lookout for this error. Unless something changes, membership fees pledged to AFL clubs are not a tax deduction. AFL clubs are not charities. They just want you to think they are.

Clubs have done this in the past though - I'm certain Melbourne have asked for "donations" that are tax deductible, may have been part of the debt demolition? Can't remember specifics.

Ive had it clarified by a more informed user that the donation is to the Australian Sports Foundation. They presumably redirect to the clubs to perform community work, then clubs can use their funds on core activity rather than community work out of their pocket. At least thats my take.

Makes sense, but this should be made clear to members the difference between pledging to the club and donating.

Email from Hawthorn today, only option is to pledge whatever percentage (of your membership) you want to the club

Email from Hawthorn today, only option is to pledge whatever percentage (of your membership) you want to the club

Details are here:

TLDR: Pledge 100%, retain game access for home & away, and any finals where crowds allowed. Pledge >50% retain game access for home & away but lose access to finals.

Thanks for that, wasn't included in my email
Clicked on the link and it took me straight to the pledge percentage page

I clicked the pledge 100 but I would have put it towards next year had I seen that option
Not a big deal as I only have the 3 game

Mates who are Essendon members got an option for a guernsey signed by the player of choice, that would have been nice

I received a 70% discount of my membership, a 50% discount of my GF guarantee membership and that's on top of me downgrading from a 16 game back to 11 games saving myself 33% there for a total saving of 66%.

And as I pay monthly I now have $95 credit to either transfer to 2021 membership or get a voucher for the superstore as they consider me to have now overpaid for 2020.

And all my entitlements remain in tact for 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what Carlton offered if we pledged the membership. View attachment 887135
Alternatively you can have it as a tax deductible amount or call the membership department and discuss other options including refunds and vouchers.

Is that for all members or only certain categories? A comped GA membership for next year is pretty good and is a smart way for the club to expand their membership base.

Is there any offer for club & AFL members to be able to watch games not on on free to air TV?

I remember a 2 month reduced cost Kayo offer around Feb, is there anything like that now that the season is actually going to start?

Last edited:
Imagine being judged for wanting your money back during these shitty times. Why should you feel compelled to leave money with million dollar franchises. None of the clubs are going to fold.
Firstly they’re not franchises nor are they ‘million dollar’ ones at that. Part of the reason why they’re not going to fold is because true members have decided to support their club during a tough time and not request a refund. I shouldn’t actually be surprised that people would ask for a refund though, it certainly is all about “me me me” these days.

Last edited:
Firstly they’re not franchises nor are they ‘million dollar’ ones at that. Part of the reason why they’re not going to fold is because true members have decided to support their club during a tough time and not request a refund. I shouldn’t actually be surprised that people would ask for a refund though, it certainly is all about “me me me” these days.

I guess the difference in the mentality of a supporter who supports a traditional club & one who supporters a “franchise” who was made in the 90’s.

According to some on here don’t franchise clubs like WCE have an endless supply of money? Be it AFL or corporate dollars in WCE case.

Is there any offer for club & AFL members to be able to watch games on on free to air TV?

I remember a 2 month reduced cost Kayo offer around Feb, is there anything like that now that the season is actually going to start?
I assume a typo... Who needs to be offered to watch on free to air tv? If clubs are offering a free tv, that would be something.
There was originally talk by Liddle of something like a $2 Kayo subscription deal if you were members. Clearly never happened in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back