Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

The Bear

All Australian
May 18, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Perhaps I'm swimming against the stream, but given that the season is now suspended, a refund for failure to provide services should be offered for club memberships due to covid 19

My club is refusing to offer refunds. Before you abuse/judge/can me...please provide a legitimate argument as to why I am a mercenary and hate my club.

I am passionate about my club, but I signed up to 11 home games with multiple memberships. They are specifically "11 home game" memberships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Perhaps I'm swimming against the stream, but a refund for failure to provide services should be offered for club membership
My club is refusing to offer refunds. Before you abuse/judge/can me...please provide a legitimate argument as to why I am a mercenary and hate my club.

I am passionate about my club, but I signed up to 11 home games. It was an 11 home game membership.

Not a problem in at least one club.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Perhaps I'm swimming against the stream, but a refund for failure to provide services should be offered for club membership

I am passionate about my club, but I signed up to 11 home games with multiple memberships. They are 11 home game memberships.
I mean sure, your club can collapse then. I suppose your happy to ask for a refund then demand the AFL bail out your club when it inevitably crumbles this year because it's broke...

As long as I get some credit or a discount towards my Hawthorn membership for next year then I won't ask for a refund. I can understand though if some supporters want their money back with each persons situation being different.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Without a doubt you should be able to ask and receive a refund.

The AFL accredited media got in early in directing the narrative and guilting people to not ask for it ... which was complete and utter horseshit.

Given that some people don't have a great deal of money so a membership is a big annual investment for them, they may be out of a job now or soon.

They may really need that money to get themselves through this period.

What about Hawks & North's Tassie members? I doubt they'll see much action for their money.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
IANAL but imho you are 100% entitled to a refund. Hit them up for it.

Same with AFL Members and MCC Members and everybody else who gives hard-earned money to these groups.

Especially people paying for Foxtel, Kayo, WatchAFL, etc etc.

You paid to watch footyball. Now you cannot watch the footyball you paid for. You are entitled to a pro-rata refund.

In return, you should not be allowed to vote in your club's next AGM, as you will no longer be a financial member.

Anybody who tries to emotionally manipulate you about this may not be your friend.

2 Weeks ago I would have said your being a dick. Things are different now. If you need the cash look after yourself. If you don't look after the club.

Simples
Pretty much this. A lot of people are going to struggle financially this year. Have every right to ask for their money back if it means helping make a mortgage payment or putting food on the table.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why be a member if your just going to throw your club under the bus? You are a supporter. So support them. Especially as a Bribane supporter. WC are going no where after banking the highest revenues in the league, but still not asking for a refund.
So I support my club when they are in fiscal trouble...will they do the same for me when I'm in trouble?

As I said on the Crows board.

They can keep the $60 for basic membership (Which is what Id pay for if I had no ticket)

I then want the $100 or whatever it is for Gold Membership refunded if the Grand Final is not played/played behind closed doors.

I then want 9.09% of the remaining money refunded per game not played/played behind closed doors.

How would this **** over the club? Most of the refund would be from the money which then goes to the stadiums.
ANd the $100 or so (which mightn't matter if theres a crowd on gf day) would only be refunded on a small % of members.

Maybe this whole being a supporter thing isn't for you, just stick to being a barracker.
If youre a casual worker and only have enough spare money for a 3 game membership.
Then you lose your job over corona-virus you have no new form of income.
Why should a club deduct MORE money from you when they cant provide you with a service?

No matter what clubs will be ****ed over. But by doing nothing youre kicking fans while theyre down.
And even if they go with a credit or something. All youre doing is delaying the pain by a year. But you could burn some bridges and lose fans for the long haul as you could cripple some of the less well off fans.

Back