Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bullshit. Eddie made himself look like a complete dickhead. A simple question was asked. Can they get a refund? A simple "Yes, but it could mean the end of the club would suffice". Instead he went on an obnoxious pre-prepared rant, yelling like a deranged twat, while failing to give a simple yes or no answer. As for this, call the club and we will help bullshit. All that is is asking for an opportunity to put the hard word on people that are likely genuinely struggling.

Occam's Razor. I'm not sure why everyone is debating it.

Call the club and ask them, see what they tell you.

Or I can just save you the time because the answer is no. That's why Eddie didn't answer the question.

Why do you think the AFL try to put a product even though it didn't even last one round? Why did say they will give it till December 31st to complete the season? To keep you hopeful and for you not to call and ask for a refund.

Clubs need to determine what is the membership cost and what is the 11 home game seat package.
A membership to a club is a donation to wanting to help and join a club.
Buying a guaranteed seat is something totally different and should be refunded as per what’s being played later in the year.

I'm pretty shocked by this thread, I genuinely thought most people would think it was in poor taste to demand a refund. It's not like buying a concert ticket, it's your football club.

If the coronavirus has left you out of a job and in a genuine financial hole, then I guess ask for a refund, but if you can afford to keep paying, you absolutely should, IMO. I work in an industry where i'll continue to work as normal for as long as this goes on, so the thought hadn't even crossed my mind to try to get a refund for my family's memberships.

I'm pretty shocked by this thread, I genuinely thought most people would think it was in poor taste to demand a refund. It's not like buying a concert ticket, it's your football club.

If the coronavirus has left you out of a job and in a genuine financial hole, then I guess ask for a refund, but if you can afford to keep paying, you absolutely should, IMO. I work in an industry where i'll continue to work as normal for as long as this goes on, so the thought hadn't even crossed my mind to try to get a refund for my family's memberships.

I have not asked and I won’t ask as I can afford it, but to try and say these poor clubs need it is ridiculous. Up until this virus these 18 clubs spent money like no tomorrow and didn’t give a crap about hard times.
You want to give money away to help footy then give it to your state league clubs where it will help. The AFl just got a 600 million dollars loan to help their clubs.

I think people are questioning what "club"' really means anymore. They're a genuinely people that can't or won't afford it this year but the clubs won't refund anyone. Why do they do it easy while others starve?

If you want to give money to a bunch of selfish entitled pricks running around kicking an oval ball then go right ahead. It's your cash, for now.

I have not asked and I won’t ask as I can afford it, but to try and say these poor clubs need it is ridiculous. Up until this virus these 18 clubs spent money like no tomorrow and didn’t give a crap about hard times.
You want to give money away to help footy then give it to your state league clubs where it will help. The AFl just got a 600 million dollars loan to help their clubs.

Not every club is West Coast with $60 million in the bank though.

Anyone putting money into Port and the Crows effectively props up the state league clubs anyway, because the stadium deal directs a lot of money to the SANFL. If we had the same Stadium deal that the WA clubs have enjoyed, the Crows would be a financial powerhouse and Port would have never had a financial care in the world. If we're talking about clubs spending way beyond their means with very little oversight, the SANFL clubs are probably the ones to look at.

I want my football club to exist and be prosperous once football is being played again. I frankly don't care at all if the entire SANFL falls over and is replaced by something else.

All I want is a policy that's more than trying to guilt members into underpinning a competition with a $12m player spend and God knows how much else per club.

It's meant to be a business.

Not every club is West Coast with $60 million in the bank though.

Anyone putting money into Port and the Crows effectively props up the state league clubs anyway, because the stadium deal directs a lot of money to the SANFL. If we had the same Stadium deal that the WA clubs have enjoyed, the Crows would be a financial powerhouse and Port would have never had a financial care in the world. If we're talking about clubs spending way beyond their means with very little oversight, the SANFL clubs are probably the ones to look at.

I want my football club to exist and be prosperous once football is being played again. I frankly don't care at all if the entire SANFL falls over and is replaced by something else.

You are entitled to that opinion and I respect it but I disagree entirely. West coast could fall over tomorrow and I would not lose a minutes sleep but if West Perth fold which is a possibility I will be gutted and feel like I lost a family member.
I agree the crows and Port could be better off but ultimatey the SANFL owned both clubs and as owners they were entitled to their fair share. Nods they don’t own the license there is no reason the crows and port should be doing much better. If your clubs signed bad deals be shitty with your club not someone else.

If there is a Grand Final at the MCG this year, participating club members should receive all tickets at cost price (apart from say 20k MCC and 15k AFL)

All I want is a policy that's more than trying to guilt members into underpinning a competition with a $12m player spend and God knows how much else per club.

Like I said they need to separate what is a membership to the club and what is an 11 game seat allocation two totally diff things that they have sold off as one and now that the current situation is here they want it all as a membership.

You are entitled to that opinion and I respect it but I disagree entirely. West coast could fall over tomorrow and I would not lose a minutes sleep but if West Perth fold which is a possibility I will be gutted and feel like I lost a family member.
I agree the crows and Port could be better off but ultimatey the SANFL owned both clubs and as owners they were entitled to their fair share. Nods they don’t own the license there is no reason the crows and port should be doing much better. If your clubs signed bad deals be shitty with your club not someone else.

Then you're a West Perth person first, that's great and I totally respect that. I'm a Port Adelaide person first.

The clubs had very little negotiating power for the reasons that you've stated. The SANFL owned the licence, not the clubs, through the poor foresight of the AFL in the 90s. The SANFL were handed the keys to the shiny new world class stadium. What was the alternative for Adelaide and Port?

Then you're a West Perth person first, that's great and I totally respect that. I'm a Port Adelaide person first.

The clubs had very little negotiating power for the reasons that you've stated. The SANFL owned the licence, not the clubs, through the poor foresight of the AFL in the 90s. The SANFL were handed the keys to the shiny new world class stadium. What was the alternative for Adelaide and Port?

I can’t answer that as I don’t know enough about your setup there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I want is to know that at the start of next season, my club still exists and fields a side in the AFL. My membership, not just this year but every year, is an investment in the future of the club and my future enjoying watching them play. We can decry the evils of the price of modern elite professional sport all we want, but ultimately it is what it is. The players get paid a lot because lots of people want to watch them play. The AFL has invested the enormous sums of money it makes back into the game.

The interview with Eddie might wake plenty of fans up to how serious this is - 'she'll be right' doesnt cut it .... no criticism of Eddie here !!

Legally, if your membership gave you some kind of entitlement that won't be fulfilled, absolutely you have the right to ask for a refund. Personally I won't be doing so, but I'd encourage very non-North Melbourne fan to pursue it ;)

Really can’t see much football being played this year so for me it’s basically a $2k donation to the club which is no different than most years as some years due to working OS I only get to a couple of games.
Would never dream of asking for a refund and ill even donate more of the club gets into strife

Lucky for you - and it is much easier to say let the club have it when you still have a job and can pay the rent. Unfortunately over 300,000 Australians have already lost their jobs - some of them have paid for memberships. Given the circumstances there should be no questions and no judgements concerning their right to a refund.

Not everyone are football nuffies like us though, plenty go just for the outing and meeting up with mates. It is 100% a transaction for a service and the service is entry into x amount of home games. I wouldn't expect a refund until the season is officially called but everyone who wants one shouldn't have too many issues receiving one.
I don’t think you understand what a service is.

I appreciate Eddie's passion but it's ok for him to get all defensive and somewhat agressive in his response.. His incredibly wealthy... And while I understand the club's rely on membership money , They like to talk about football being the fabric of the working man's life etc .. well unfortunately majority of these working class are unemployed and I think it was extremely wrong for Eddie to basically make out that you are a dog if you want a refund..

TJ asked a pretty simple question that some Club members are wanting an answer on as that membership money would be a big help for alot of struggling families and I'm sure they don't want to do it as we all love our club but putting food on the table for their kids comes before a footy club.

I have always loved how Eddie has so much passion but I feel he was abit out of touch last night, Expecting members to call up and they will look at it on a case by case basis is not the right answer.

If you are struggling and ask the club to refund your membership than I don't think it was right for Eddie to make you feel like you are not a true supporter.. I am struggling and lost my job but I'm not at that point where I need to search for dollars I may be entitled to...but if people are they should be allowed a refund without question.

This question is going to come up again and again.

There needs to be some sort of policy formed with the AFL and the clubs to address this issue. Members deserve that at the very least.

They won't do anything until they know what the full impact will be on the season. Which is fair enough.

If the season is cancelled altogether that is one thing. If they are able to resume in July/August and play 17 H&A games plus finals that's another.

I don't hate Eddie, I actually really respect the man. I just hate his response to this.

He absolutely deserved that quip from Jones, how he can cry poor when the whole reason the question of refunds are coming up is because millions have lost their livelihoods is ridiculous.

Exactly. It's not like the season has been cancelled/suspended because of a player holdout in a contract dispute or anything. Unemployment is about to hit unprecedented rates, people who retain their jobs may be stood down without pay, the economy is tanking. This isn't like the AFL & clubs are the only ones impacted by this.

Eddie's answer was pretty clear- his club will refund a % of money to members doing it tough but they don't really want this info out there in the public domain.

Exactly. It's not like the season has been cancelled/suspended because of a player holdout in a contract dispute or anything. Unemployment is about to hit unprecedented rates, people who retain their jobs may be stood down without pay, the economy is tanking. This isn't like the AFL & clubs are the only ones impacted by this.
The football industry by large live in a bubble. That's why they think people should just keep handing money over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back