List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppy played injured all/most of the season.

4/5 yrs ago Hodge played injured & posters/media said he was cooked.
He/we got his body right & he came back well.
IF we can get Poppy fit then I think another season could prove beneficial to us

some will have a different opinion & that’s fine

I'd re-sign Poppy.

If we wanted to extract trade value from him then we should have done that at the end of 2016. So it's simply a question of whether or not he has playing value to Hawthorn or not in 2020.

He copped a lot of s**t for not kicking a lot of goals this year, but to be fair that's probably a valid criticism of all our older forwards. Yes, his pace and endurance isn't what it once was, but you can clearly see he's still working hard out there. (and if wahawk is right about the injury then we could see an increase in his output)

I think there's always a spot for a player who constantly gives their all. Some might suggest that keeping him denies a younger player from an opportunity, but I think he's a good role model to that younger player as he sets the standard that is necessary for his role as a high pressure, defensive forward. It also means that when the younger player does take his spot we know it's because he's surpassed Poppy rather than just taking an empty spot in the side.

derp de derp

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawktalk pod on twitter have posted Isaac Smith is on the trade table again today.

I’m not sure how trustworthy their sources are but I enjoy their podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Depending on how we are going half way through the year in the backline I feel Impey will be rolled forward and only going back of needed.

With the incommings and outgoings next year is super interesting as so many players can play multiple positions.

Imagine rolling all our talls through the forward line for 5 minutes of carnage.

Depending on how we are going half way through the year in the backline I feel Impey will be rolled forward and only going back of needed.

With the incommings and outgoings next year is super interesting as so many players can play multiple positions.

Imagine rolling all our talls through the forward line for 5 minutes of carnage.
Where would you have Patton & Mitch Lewis playting, if not for the Forwardline?

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where would you have Patton & Mitch Lewis playting, if not for the Forwardline?
If you have Patton,Lewis as the two pillars and O'Brien and gunston floating higher, with Nash and small that's a seriously hard forward line to match up on.

The only concern is on the counter but it helps they are a bit more mobile. I wouldn't use this setup for a whole game but because they can play multiple positions when needed you could change the attacking positions throughout the game...

You don't keep a guy around to waste another year. I think Pup was fantastic during his peak years but that has been a while ago.

You move on and get 50 games into the next option and hope for another well Puopolo at his peak not now. But you don't wait for the next and not play him.

Crawford got his premiership in 08 and ran, mainly because he knew how ruthless Clarko was. But it's that ruthlessness that got us where we have been.
No, Crawford finished in 2008 because he was shot. Club actually considered giving him another year if his body was up to it.

No, Crawford finished in 2008 because he was shot. Club actually considered giving him another year if his body was up to it.
I'm not going to trawl back through the thread to find Zack's post, but that was one of the most bizarre statements I have read. You are 100% correct. Crawf was done and it was probably the best time to retire - go out on a high. Could possibly have gone round again but he knew it.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawktalk pod on twitter have posted Isaac Smith is on the trade table again today.

I’m not sure how trustworthy their sources are but I enjoy their podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm unsure on their validity as well but I heard similar on Friday in regards to Smith possibly making a move.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
There is still enough talent on the list to play finals next year but I don’t think the Hawks will be a premiership contender. Clarkson is obviously a very astute coach and has been for many years, so nothing would surprise me when it comes to Hawthorn and what game style he can devise and implement over the pre-season but I believe the Hawks will be a 5-8 team in 2020.

Good to see that Garry and I are on the same page as to where our list is at.

I'd re-sign Poppy.

If we wanted to extract trade value from him then we should have done that at the end of 2016. So it's simply a question of whether or not he has playing value to Hawthorn or not in 2020.

He copped a lot of s**t for not kicking a lot of goals this year, but to be fair that's probably a valid criticism of all our older forwards. Yes, his pace and endurance isn't what it once was, but you can clearly see he's still working hard out there. (and if wahawk is right about the injury then we could see an increase in his output)

I think there's always a spot for a player who constantly gives their all. Some might suggest that keeping him denies a younger player from an opportunity, but I think he's a good role model to that younger player as he sets the standard that is necessary for his role as a high pressure, defensive forward. It also means that when the younger player does take his spot we know it's because he's surpassed Poppy rather than just taking an empty spot in the side.

Poppy isn't going to be delisted off the back of playing every game. I agree.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A Carlton supporting friend just told me they are talking to Pitto. Perhaps. When we signed Ceglar to three more years it became obvious that Pitto would have a hard time getting game minutes. Perhaps that's why he's delayed signing his deal in order to force a trade. Dunno if true or not.

IN:
Patton
Frost

OUT:
Roughead (retired)
Birchall (free agent)
Pittonet (traded)
Mohr (retired)
Langford (retired)
Puopolo (delisted)
Schoenmakers (delisted)
Mirra (delisted)
Minchington (delisted)
Miles (delisted)

If the following changes take place how many spots on the senior list and rookie list will we have going into the draft?

Will Jiath be elevated onto the senior list?

Rookies
Jiath
Jones
Golds
Greaves
Reeves

IN:
Patton
Frost

OUT:
Roughead (retired)
Birchall (free agent)
Pittonet (traded)
Mohr (retired)
Puopolo (delisted)
Schoenmakers (delisted)
Mirra (delisted)
Minchington (delisted)
Miles (delisted)

So if the following changes take place how many spots on the senior list and rookie list do we have? Will Jiath now be elevated onto the senior list?

Rookies
Jiath
Jones
Golds
Greaves
Reeves
Don't we need to upgrade 2 of our rookies coz they've been on the rookie list for 3 years? That would take 2 of the spots, and I think Wrighty has mentioned this in numerous interviews

Don't we need to upgrade 2 of our rookies coz they've been on the rookie list for 3 years? That would take 2 of the spots, and I think Wrighty has mentioned this in numerous interviews

I thought three years is the max? CJ and Jones can still be on the rookie list for another year as they are entering their 3rd season on the list. I’d like to see Jiath upgraded though as I think he’s ready to push for best 22.

I thought three years is the max? CJ and Jones can still be on the rookie list for another year as they are entering their 3rd season on the list. I’d like to see Jiath upgraded though as I think he’s ready to push for best 22.
Pretty sure Rookies can play now so there may not be a need to upgrade him - if that isn't what we want to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back