List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I’m not so worried about the KPP. I’m (& have been) very bullish on Patton & what he will do for us. I’m now more worried about Mitch Lewis, on account of his shoulder. I’d feel a little better if we brought in a genuine CHB but I’ve been pretty impressed by TO’B & it may come to pass that he has to hold that position down in 2020. It gives us huge on-field flexibility if TO’B can play CHB.

A Grade mid? If the chatter re: Petracca is genuine (hard to believe anything, at the moment) then he probs falls into B Grade forward/mid category, but Mitchell, Wingard, Worpel should all be A Grade & JO’M will definitely benefit from the return of Mitchell.

Quality run? Sure gonna miss Impey & we’ll really feel it if we also lose Smitty, but I’m hoping we get Amon & Impey returns late in 2020. I agree, we’re a classy outside runner short, even with Amon. I wouldn’t mind seeing CJ get a run on the wing, but he’s not the answer to replacing Smitty.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said but I suppose I'm a lot less optimistic on what I think Patton will do for us, I'd love him to be a 50 goal a season forward but would be genuinely stunned if that eventuates.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Had Dollar$ Cog$ selected us instead of AFL Giants & we traded well this off-season, we'd easily have been in with a shot for the 2020 flag.

Now, we're going to be an A Grade midfielder short.

If Petracca came for a 2nd & averaged 24 possies + a goal from HFF, we could be back in it.

From cogs to petracca? You wouldnt have read that a couple of weeks ago.

James cousins is our next off the bus at box hill why not? Hes contracted a couple of seasons out

I’m not so worried about the KPP. I’m (& have been) very bullish on Patton & what he will do for us. I’m now more worried about Mitch Lewis, on account of his shoulder. I’d feel a little better if we brought in a genuine CHB but I’ve been pretty impressed by TO’B & it may come to pass that he has to hold that position down in 2020. It gives us huge on-field flexibility if TO’B can play CHB.

A Grade mid? If the chatter re: Petracca is genuine (hard to believe anything, at the moment) then he probs falls into B Grade forward/mid category, but Mitchell, Wingard, Worpel should all be A Grade & JO’M will definitely benefit from the return of Mitchell.

Quality run? Sure gonna miss Impey & we’ll really feel it if we also lose Smitty, but I’m hoping we get Amon & Impey returns late in 2020. I agree, we’re a classy outside runner short, even with Amon. I wouldn’t mind seeing CJ get a run on the wing, but he’s not the answer to replacing Smitty.
I'd wait until we have Patton to be bullish about him.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Rough will Retire. If Ceglar Schoey Mohr Brand Mirra go and another join Mitch Lewis with an interrupted pre season all of a sudden it looks very thin, even with Patton (who may take more time to gel)

Im thinking Brand and Mirra stay probably

I wouldn’t be shocked if Mohr is kept on the rookie list for another year. If Schoenmakers, Brand and Mirra are going to be delisted as rumoured then that leaves us with no key position players in reserves other than Koschitzke!

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can’t turf too much experience at once. It will be interesting to see how the club maintains the balance of new blood and experience.

For mine:

Delist/retirements:
Rough, Mirra, Minchington, Miles, Schoey and Birchall (I’d keep Poppy due to durability and the fact we have Scrim and CJ who can play HBF role).
Mohr and Langford

50/50- Brand (I’d keep Brand as KPD depth)

Possible trades/free agent loses:
Silk and Cegs
Smith (keep unless we get something very good)

Last edited:
Can’t turf too much experience at once. It will be interesting to see how the club maintains the balance of new blood and experience.

For mine:

Delist/retirements:
Rough, Mirra, Minchington, Miles, Schoey and Birchall (I’d keep Poppy due to durability and the fact we have Scrim and CJ who can play HBF role).
Mohr and Langford

50/50- Brand (I’d keep Brand as KPD depth)

Possible trades:
Silk (should keep him as he’s still class), Cegs (keep for mine) Smith (keep unless we get something very good)

Silk and Cegs are free agents unfortunately.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If I imagine all the times this year that I saw the ball bombed into the forward 50, with only Paul Puopolo sitting underneath it, but in my mind replace Puopolo with Jon Patton, I can see why we’re interested. His shortcomings in front of the sticks are real (he’s been a shabby set-shot since U18 days) but he’s dangerous under a high ball. Huge reach and strong hands.

I honestly believe that another off-season of improvement in Scrimshaw, getting Titch back and having a full season of some midfield magic from Wings will have us make up the difference.

The delistings will most likely be announced some time this week.
We only tend to announce anyone that we can't shop around or that aren't interested in finding another AFL contract
We will let players explore their options etc but we don't tend to rush out and delist everyone like some clubs do.

Will be interesting to see if any names do come out this week

How can you criticise him for not moving to a club that's travelling worse than his own? How about instead criticising our own club? If we'd put in a better efforts in extremely winnable games against North, Essendon, Bulldogs, Melbourne and Sydney then we'd have finished in the mix for top 4, and we'd be a much more attractive proposition for all our trade/FA targets.
Our club pumped his clubx2. We also had harder draw

List Manager

Club Legend
May 21, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nothing groundbreaking here but I spoke with someone with links to the club over the weekend about several senior players. Gist of the conversation:

Poppy = gone
Smith gone
Burgoyne = genuinely undecided, wants to get to 400 games at Hawthorn but obviously has zero guarantees after 2020.
Gunston = not going anywhere
Shoenmakers = looks like he'll get another year

Interesting that both parties have been open, transparent and honest here.
Strange or just real professional aptitude that the rest of the competition should embrace?
Rest of the comp should embrace.

With Evans and Dew there, the Suns finally have some good people. Of course our Club are ultimate pros, so this transaction is going well and there is goodwill on all fronts. It's now just a mature conversation between all stakeholders

Hope we can all get there as an industry, but its a long way off

I honestly believe that another off-season of improvement in Scrimshaw, getting Titch back and having a full season of some midfield magic from Wings will have us make up the difference.

You would expect the output from the players in red to be significantly better next year with a number of players coming in.

Patton - Gunston
Mitchell - O’Meara
2nd key defender - Sicily

You would expect the output from the players in red to be significantly better next year with a number of players coming in.

Patton - Gunston
Mitchell - O’Meara
2nd key defender - Sicily

The most important thing though is continuity. Just look at the difference from 2017 to 2018 with a relatively unchanged list.

Our defensive structures work, they were rated by many as the best defensive structures through the year. Next year with the resources we get back, we can turn those defensive structures into attack. Breust and Gunston as genuine firepower will be joined by Patton, Lewis and O'Brien as those with some speculative firepower. All capable of kicking a handful of goals at their best. Throw in O'Meara, Wingard and Henderson as midfielders who are capable goal kickers.

This should mark a return to the glut of potential goal kickers we had at our best from 2013 - 2015, where we had 10 players capable of 20+ goal seasons.

I'm excited for what 2020 brings.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Nothing groundbreaking here but I spoke with someone with links to the club over the weekend about several senior players. Gist of the conversation:

Poppy = gone
Smith gone
Burgoyne = genuinely undecided, wants to get to 400 games at Hawthorn but obviously has zero guarantees after 2020.
Gunston = not going anywhere
Shoenmakers = looks like he'll get another year

Absolutely amazing if that eventuates, how many games has he played at senior level since the 2015 GF ? His body is completely shot and it's not like he's that good even when healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back