List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
By my numbers, we have:
32 senior listed
5 Category A Rookies
1 Category B Rookies
Total 38 on the list.

Meaning we can take 6 more players. Can all be on the senior list, or can be 5 plus 1 Category B rookie....but must take minimum 4 senior listed
But some posters have different views on the list numbers.
2020​
1​
Morrison
2​
Lewis
3​
Mitchell
4​
Impey
5​
Worpel
6​
Sicily
7​
McEvoy
8​
Frost
9​
Burgoyne
10​
O'Meara
11​
Nash
12​
13​
14​
Scrimshaw
15​
Hardwick
16​
17​
Howe
18​
Ceglar
19​
Gunston
20​
Wingard
21​
Scully
22​
Breust
23​
O'Brien
24​
25​
Patton
26​
Shiels
27​
Hartley
28​
29​
Jiath
30​
Day
31​
32​
Maginness
33​
34​
Koschitzke
35​
Morris
36​
Moore(Rookie)
37​
38​
39​
Jeka(Rookie)
40​
41​
Hanrahan
42​
Pepper(Category B)
43​
Reeves(Rookie)
44​
Greaves(Rookie)
45​
46​
Cousins
47​
Brooksby(Rookie)
NewPhillips
Hartigan
I really hope they put some thought into who they hand the #33 next time

So from what I can see, our possible options are as follows:

- 4 x national draft/DFA, 0 x Cat A rookie, 0 x Cat B rookie (36, 5, 1)
- 4 x national draft/DFA, 0 x Cat A rookie, 1 x Cat B rookie (36, 5, 2)
- 4 x national draft/DFA, 1 x Cat A rookie, 0 x Cat B rookie (36, 6, 1)
- 4 x national draft/DFA, 1 x Cat A rookie, 1 x Cat B rookie (36, 6, 2)
- 5 x national draft/DFA, 0 x Cat A rookie, 0 x Cat B rookie (37, 5, 1)
- 5 x national draft/DFA, 0 x Cat A rookie, 1 x Cat B rookie (37, 5, 2)

So from what I can see, our possible options are as follows:

- 4 x national draft/DFA, 0 x Cat A rookie, 0 x Cat B rookie (36, 5, 1)
- 4 x national draft/DFA, 0 x Cat A rookie, 1 x Cat B rookie (36, 5, 2)
- 4 x national draft/DFA, 1 x Cat A rookie, 0 x Cat B rookie (36, 6, 1)
- 4 x national draft/DFA, 1 x Cat A rookie, 1 x Cat B rookie (36, 6, 2)
- 5 x national draft/DFA, 0 x Cat A rookie, 0 x Cat B rookie (37, 5, 1)
- 5 x national draft/DFA, 0 x Cat A rookie, 1 x Cat B rookie (37, 5, 2)
The AFL confirmed there will still be a Pre-season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) and also 1 Mid season draft (date to be determined, there was chatter of 3 MSDs, but they've settled on 1).

So there is the option the Club leaves a spot open on the list for the MSD.

The AFL confirmed there will still be a Pre-season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) and also 1 Mid season draft (date to be determined, there was chatter of 3 MSDs, but they've settled on 1).

Sicily could be placed on the longterm injury list at some point next year. Why is Greaves still on the rookie list?

Yes, we'd have to leave a rookie spot open to use those? (or does having an LTI (Sicily) make us eligible for that anyway?) I don't think that changes any of the possible options that I listed, it will be one of those that happen over the drafts next week.

Sicily could be placed on the longterm injury list at some point next year. Why is Greaves still on the rookie list?
Why not I suppose. He can still play seniors and it gives the club flexibility for TPP. It's not like he's going to another club for more opportunity.

Clubs also have the option of moving a player with a long-term injury to the inactive list to open up further positions for the SSP or Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Essendon's Irving Mosquito, Hawthorn's James Sicily and Bulldog Toby McLean are all expected to miss the bulk of 2021 after ACL injuries in 2020 with their spots able to be used for another player.

the LTI to Sicily and Gunston will hurt for the beginning of next season, probably our 2 best and most consistent players of the last handful of years.

positives/negatives in the off-season after recruiting some players to the club:
Kyle Hartigan - will play the Frawley role of FB and give us approx 3 years service.
Tom Phillips - 24 so has a bit of a career ahead of him, gives us a balanced winger who is good at the level
Denver Grainger-Barras - he looks the goods and should make it in the AFL as a KPP, most likely in Defence where he is naturally talented
Seamus Mitchell - at pick 29 and a few good options still on the board, we went for a speculation pick which was disappointing imo, i rewatched a Bendigo game in the NAB League against Gippsland and most of their 2019 draftees after we drafted him, i will just say, disappointing, he has good acceleration though, if that matters? this pick reminds me of when we reached for Daniel Howe.
Connor Downie - this kid looks good, left footer with a natural booming kick and can kick a 50m+ goal with ease, runs good lines and has a strong physically ready physique
Tyler Brockman - at pick 46 this was going to be more a risk/reward pick, he has some talent, but has yet to put it all together and create consistent production on field, he is half a year younger than most other draftees and shows some signs of development and improvement, but still a speculative pick
Rookie - Jack Saunders - didnt know much about him pre-draft so a smokey, i liked his highlights package, played 6 times for sanfl reserves with 4 times in the bests, so an indication he can play well when stepping up in quality of opponents

overall i think Hartigan, Phillips, Grainger-Barras and Downie are good pick ups and should have careers of some sort in the AFL, the other 3 wing/sml forwards could compete with Morris/Moore/Hanrahan/Nash for a spot in the team?, overall a good haul, but could always be better.

Sicily already out for the year, and now it looks like Scully won’t play at all either. Then there’s Patton out as well. Does this open the door for 2 list spots during the mid-season draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily already out for the year, and now it looks like Scully won’t play at all either. Then there’s Patton out as well. Does this open the door for 2 list spots during the mid-season draft?

This is exciting - see what we can find, surprised no reports of potential recruits training with us.

Any insight into how long this will drag out?
No idea, but the head of the AFL integrity unit was at Waverley on Friday.

I hate being the "spin guy", but if we can make a call to stand down our pearls from GWS this mid season draft has a lot more weight than it did the first time around.

With the potential draftees missing out on 2020 there is a lot of talent that went undrafted, and the VFL and NEAFL merger/ east coast second tier league is going to be a much more potent proving grounds than it has been in the past.

Confident we can find a Snelling/Noble type of player with a chip on their shoulder to come in and work their ass off, now that Poppy is gone we need another guy at training to set the standard.

Putting aside their respective plights - Clarko not even having the option of playing Patton or Scully is a big positive for the club going forward.

Good call. Always difficult when you recruit “big names” into a club and it doesn’t work out as there are a lot agendas involved behind the scenes to do EVERYTHING to try and make it work....

Good call. Always difficult when you recruit “big names” into a club and it doesn’t work out as there are a lot agendas involved behind the scenes to do EVERYTHING to try and make it work....

Particularly when you are relying on them to play well because there isn’t a brilliant core surrounding them as had been the case with our recruiting post 08 to 16. We had become somewhat arrogant and thought that any player with issues on or off field could be fixed by us. Meat and potatoes drafting/recruiting for the time being should be our mantra; only trade away picks if it’s for an interstate kid coming home ala Scrimshaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back