List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like some around here are going to be a little upset when not every player who is 29+ is delisted at the end of the year.

Assuming Hawthorn will need about 8 list cuts, the team has too many project small/medium forwards.

Hanrahan, Moore, Morris, Nash, Walker, Ross.

Poppy and Minchington might be likely to go but I still don't think you want to be carrying all of those guys on your list, for balance.

I think you start the list cuts at

Puopolo
Minchington
Brooksby

Then I think you find another 5 or so from the pool of

Nash
Burgoyne
Henderson
Glass
Ross
Jiath
Moore
Morrison
Stratton

I hesitate to even put Stratton on there because I think he'll be on the list next year.

I feel like some around here are going to be a little upset when not every player who is 29+ is delisted at the end of the year.

Assuming Hawthorn will need about 8 list cuts, the team has too many project small/medium forwards.

Hanrahan, Moore, Morris, Nash, Walker, Ross.

Poppy and Minchington might be likely to go but I still don't think you want to be carrying all of those guys on your list, for balance.

I think you start the list cuts at

Puopolo
Minchington
Brooksby

Then I think you find another 5 or so from the pool of

Nash
Burgoyne
Henderson
Glass
Ross
Jiath
Moore
Morrison
Stratton

I hesitate to even put Stratton on there because I think he'll be on the list next year.

Not a chance in the world Stratton or Burgoyne are playing again.

Stratton Burgoyne Poppy and Hendo all retired. That’s 4 straight up.

Finding another 6 to either trade or delist will not be difficult.

Gone- (In Order)
Brooksby
Minchington
Puopolo
Stratton
Burgoyne
Hendo
They're the no brainers. We keep Mcevoy, Frawley, Smith, Shiels as 30 + players

Next-
Nash
Glass
Morrison

That's 9 pretty easy decisions in my book. Howe/Sheils on thin ice, depending on trades might go as well. Were only really losing Stratton, Burgoyne and Hendo as experience. None have had any impact this year anyway. Id argue Stratts has been a negative.

I get the feeling Burgoyne and Stratton will be on our list in 2021, rightly or wrongly.

If this were a normal season I'd almost guarantee this. Clarkson doesn't like losing too much experience in one offseason. Even if both Burgoyne and Stratton end up cooked and dropped sometime next year (like Gibson/Roughy/Pops) he still would have valued having them on the list. But if list sizes are reduced then it might force his hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m fine with Burgoyne playing on, his performing better then stratton and a way better leader. If Stratton is on the list next year we are going backwards. Greaves already better in his first game then stratton has been in the last 2 years. Make the call clarko , you were quick to get rid of roughy, Lewis and Mitchell.

I’m fine with Burgoyne playing on, his performing better then stratton and a way better leader. If Stratton is on the list next year we are going backwards. Greaves already better in his first game then stratton has been in the last 2 years. Make the call clarko , you were quick to get rid of roughy, Lewis and Mitchell.
Stratton seems different. It's like he's got a real emotional connection with him. He just can't let him go.

Yesterday was hard proof, we dont need Stratton moving forward.
According to Champion Data ranking points, Stratton is the worst performed player in the AFL to have played more than 10 games this year with an average of 37.7 points per game. The next worst is a rookie Kropinyeri-Pickett who averages 45.5 in 11 games. The only other non-rookie player in the AFL averaging below 50 is Josh Bruce.

Stratton has never played a game that lends itself to high ranking points of course. But dead last (by a fair margin) in the AFL paints a pretty sorry picture for a club captain. He will retire. Clarkson pushed more decorated players than Stratton out the door while still performing at much, much higher levels. He should have been pushed after last season.

Last edited:
According to Champion Data ranking points, Stratton is the worst performed player in the AFL to have played more than 10 games this year with an average of 37.7 points per game. The next worst is a rookie Kropinyeri-Pickett who averages 45.5 in 11 games. The only other non-rookie player in the AFL averaging below 50 is Josh Bruce.

Stratton has never played a game that lends itself to high ranking points of course. But dead last (by a fair margin) in the AFL paints a pretty sorry picture for a club captain. He will retire. Clarkson pushed more decorated players than Stratton out the door while still performing at much, much higher levels. He should have been pushed after last season.
Also has the worst 1v1 record. Poor leadership to boot. Definition of a liability now.

Well he's right. They have earned the right.
Why? Not trying to be smart, just genuinely curious.
We’ve taken them to the top, paid them well and now we need them to help us. We need their leadership and match winning ability more than ever out there. Unless a godfather offer comes their (and just as importantly our) way, we need them to stay

do we make a habit of blocking player's requests for moving clubs?

as far as i know we dealt with the brad hill situation with a huge amount of empathy, ultimately to our detriment

i don't see the point in saying it at all. not having a go at Jordy because obviously he was asked but it just seems pointless to me. obviously if they want to go we'll let them...

He's always performed poorly with those stats. He was like that 2 years ago and probably our second best player for the year.

This will be his first year in many that he won't be in the top 10 for B+F. At only 31, I reckon he'll let go of the captaincy but GW / Clarko will give him at least 1 more. His leadership off the field and around the club is pretty underrated in these parts.

Jesus Jordy, I don’t mind a bit of salt with dinner, but when your pouring it on your breakfast cereal it’s time to have a look at yourself.

I would be very surprised if a contending Vic team DOESN'T have a crack at Gunston and to a lesser extent Breust this trade season. Gunston would excel playing alongside genuine big power forwards such as TL as well as receiving first class delivery from a grade mids. Don't want him to go but if a big VIC club comes calling he has every right to explore it. Think that Breust is a Hawk for life but you never really know

Surprised by the Jordan Lewis detractors. Jordy bled brown and gold for us from day one and was at the absolute forefront of the "unsociable Hawks" tag. He was our version Toby Greene - rivals supporters hated his guts but secretly wished that he played for them. The minute his pace/intensity dropped ever so slightly Clarkson showed him the door and traded him for a bag of chips yet kept playing Statton and Puoplo who well well and truly cooked last year

I hate what we did to Lewis Hodge and Mitchell yet kept playing Stratton and Puopolo. Just imagine if any of the Hodge boys become gun players but end up choosing Brisbane. I will dead set spew up

I would be very surprised if a contending Vic team DOESN'T have a crack at Gunston and to a lesser extent Breust this trade season. Gunston would excel playing alongside genuine big power forwards such as TL as well as receiving first class delivery from a grade mids. Don't want him to go but if a big VIC club comes calling he has every right to explore it. Think that Breust is a Hawk for life but you never really know

Surprised by the Jordan Lewis detractors. Jordy bled brown and gold for us from day one and was at the absolute forefront of the "unsociable Hawks" tag. He was our version Toby Greene - rivals supporters hated his guts but secretly wished that he played for them. The minute his pace/intensity dropped ever so slightly Clarkson showed him the door and traded him for a bag of chips yet kept playing Statton and Puoplo who well well and truly cooked last year

I hate what we did to Lewis Hodge and Mitchell yet kept playing Stratton and Puopolo. Just imagine if any of the Hodge boys become gun players but end up choosing Brisbane. I will dead set spew up

Hodge boys wouldnt qualify for father sons @ Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back