List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I please change tack a little.

Just pre empting the pain of the next five years. We as HFC people don’t do mediocre well. We have high standards. Rightly.

I really have come to the view we need to revisit the 2003. - 2005 period. Then we introduced a number of quality people, hard nosed but competent people.
A young, competent and enthusiastic AC, a very competent CEO in Ian Robson, Dougie Evans, Chris Pelchen etc. An energetic, competent group.

I am not sure we replicate that critical Group as we move into this next phase. Trust me, this is going to take competence and enthusiasm, I am not sure AC, GW, JGK and Co have the energy to do so.
Big call I know, but we have to have a big Plan and real commitment and competence.
I believe there will be some big waves to endure as a rebuild happens, a rebuild that is in the best interests of the HFC and not individuals such as JGK and AC who are happy to be associated with success and perhaps not the less sexy rebuilds.

Can I please change tack a little.

Just pre empting the pain of the next five years. We as HFC people don’t do mediocre well. We have high standards. Rightly.

I really have come to the view we need to revisit the 2003. - 2005 period. Then we introduced a number of quality people, hard nosed but competent people.
A young, competent and enthusiastic AC, a very competent CEO in Ian Robson, Dougie Evans, Chris Pelchen etc. An energetic, competent group.

I am not sure we replicate that critical Group as we move into this next phase. Trust me, this is going to take competence and enthusiasm, I am not sure AC, GW, JGK and Co have the energy to do so.
Big call I know, but we have to have a big Plan and real commitment and competence.
I believe there will be some big waves to endure as a rebuild happens, a rebuild that is in the best interests of the HFC and not individuals such as JGK and AC who are happy to be associated with success and perhaps not the less sexy rebuilds.
I hate to admit I’ve been thinking this more and more recently..
You do have to wonder whether Clarko and co are the ones to take us into our next premiership era...

They’ll have to be ruthless- willing to turnover the list completely, create a new modern winning gameplan and a most importantly install a new system that all the players and club officials will have to buy into.. this could take a number of years..

I’m just not sure if this current regime is capable of changing that dramatically.. I can’t think of many coaching regimes that have had multiple highly successful eras at the same club..

And I don’t think bringing in one of the premiership stars as coach like Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge will be the answer..

I have a gut feel we’ll need to look for a new up and coming head coach outside the four walls at some point..

Last edited:
Don’t trade Breust , we have the worst small fwd stocks in the league with no replacement for him. Tigers went from bottom 4 to a flag next szn, not saying we will do it in a year but we could in 2.
Yes, in just two off seasons we have added...

Day, Scrimshaw, Wingard, Patton, Greaves, Frost, Maginness, Hartley, Reeves who we would think should all be Putting their hand up to be best 22 in 2022.

When you consider that we will/should still have payers like Sicily, Impey, Hardwick, Mitchell, O’meara, Worpel and that we could see more development from Kosi, Jeka, Lewis and Walker we’re suddenly only needing 3-5 more players to round out the 22 allowing for some names above to not make the cut.

No reason we can’t do that over two off seasons.

I hate to admit I’ve been thinking this more and more recently..
You do have to wonder whether Clarko and co are the ones to take us into our next premiership era...

They’ll have to be ruthless- willing to turnover the list completely, create a new modern winning gameplan and a most importantly install a new system that all the players and club officials will have to buy into.. this could take a number of years..

I’m just not sure if this current regime is capable of changing that dramatically.. I can’t think of many coaching regimes that have had multiple highly successful eras at the same club..

And I don’t think bringing in one of the premiership stars as coach like Sam Mitchell will be the answer..

I have a gut fell we’ll need to look for a new up and coming head coach and admin staff outside the four walls at some point...
“It’s never as good or as bad as it seems”.

The club knows where the list is at, it knows it needs major work, and there’s nothing to suggest we’re not interested in doing it.

In fact the opposite is true.

“the hard way”.

“It’s never as good or as bad as it seems”.

The club knows where the list is at, it knows it needs major work, and there’s nothing to suggest we’re not interested in doing it.

In fact the opposite is true.

“the hard way”.
You beat me to it. It’s easy to feel down atm because we are down. One thing we do know going into this offseason is that change is coming.

To tell you the truth I’m actually excited to see who we add (draft / trades etc) and more importantly how Clarko responds. The other thing we do know is our game style didn’t hold up so it will likely change this offseason too.

Time to ride the bumps peeps!

I think the equivalent here is in grabbing players forced out of stronger clubs with list size cuts. Unfortunately the cuts might not be as heavy as first thought, at least for 2021, but reduced list sizes over next few seasons gives real scope to get mature age role players in.
I'd say do both! There has to be 1-2 vfl/sanfl/wafl guys around the age of 19-21 who will turn out to be really good AFL players. Id love the next Liam Ryan, Tim Kelly, McGovern. Those list cuts by definition might make it harder to find a star as teams will probably know what they're letting go. Id imagine you could nab a B22 player for sure, but i think there will always be a higher natural ceiling from a good 2nd tier guy yet to be in the system. So many good players have been drafted as mature ages and I'm greedy enough to want us to finally go after them. I think we'd be in a much better space right now if we'd picked up someone like Luke Ryan, Tom Stewart, etc with some of those picks we've had in the 70s and 80s instead of Moore, Ross etc.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, in just two off seasons we have added...

Day, Scrimshaw, Wingard, Patton, Greaves, Frost, Maginness, Hartley, Reeves who we would think should all be Putting their hand up to be best 22 in 2022.

When you consider that we will/should still have payers like Sicily, Impey, Hardwick, Mitchell, O’meara, Worpel and that we could see more development from Kosi, Jeka, Lewis and Walker we’re suddenly only needing 3-5 more players to round out the 22 allowing for some names above to not make the cut.

No reason we can’t do that over two off seasons.

Reaching IMO, one is stop gap defender that can barely get a game in this seasons awful side, the other is a project ruck that is unlikely to make it at senior level.

Having faith in Patton getting on the park is not an avenue I ever want to be relying on.

I would hate to lose Punky. Still a seriously good player.
He's still contracted so would have to want to go anyway.
Yep, l believe he has another year. In an ideal world he would love to finish his career with us but who knows if offered a monster contract from another club.

Reaching IMO, one is stop gap defender that can barely get a game in this seasons awful side, the other is a project ruck that is unlikely to make it at senior level.

Having faith in Patton getting on the park is not an avenue I ever want to be relying on.
“we’re suddenly only needing 3-5 more players to round out the 22 allowing for some names above to not make the cut.

No reason we can’t do that over two off seasons.”

You beat me to it. It’s easy to feel down atm because we are down. One thing we do know going into this offseason is that change is coming.

To tell you the truth I’m actually excited to see who we add (draft / trades etc) and more importantly how Clarko responds. The other thing we do know is our game style didn’t hold up so it will likely change this offseason too.

Time to ride the bumps peeps!

I feel exactly the same. I'm really pumped for this year's off season and can't wait to see what transpires with the list - going out & coming in .
Interesting and intriguing times at the Hawks. Bring it on.

Game plan must go.

No send off game. No invite to the 2020 reunion.

Never heard from or spoken of again.

Watch us get 4+ wins better next season just by not playing stupid as s**t football.

Apparently Glass won't be offered another contract.
If thats the case then surely Nash gets the chop as well. Before this year I would have kept Nash but got rid of Glass, now I am thinking the complete opposite.

I know there are a few who are bullish on the kid and yes he can run and lay a tackle, but thats about it.

He rivals Ben Stratton and Will Langford as the worst set shot kick for goal at the Hawks in my more than 40 years as a member, I just cant see him surviving the chop.

Game plan must go.

No send off game. No invite to the 2020 reunion.

Never heard from or spoken of again.

Watch us get 4+ wins better next season just by not playing stupid as sh*t football.
Game plan is way over stated. Partly because whatever game plan we had in round one, we’ve been locked into all year. The group can’t train together, so it’s not something we can tweak.

Secondly a game plan can’t fix a poor list, endeavour, form, skill, etc. The problems we’ve had this year are far more to do with the form and mentality of our playing group than it is our game plan.

If thats the case then surely Nash gets the chop as well. Before this year I would have kept Nash but got rid of Glass, now I am thinking the complete opposite.

I know there are a few who are bullish on the kid and yes he can run and lay a tackle, but thats about it.

He rivals Ben Stratton and Will Langford as the worst set shot kick for goal at the Hawks in my more than 40 years as a member, I just cant see him surviving the chop.
Doesn’t Nash have an extra year to run?

Doesn’t Nash have an extra year to run?
You could be right, I have no clue as to his contract status.

IMO though he will not cut it at AFL level and no amount of persistance will change that.

harsh reality of football but i can't help feeling bad for blokes, especially those like Connor(s) who uprooted his life to come and try his hand at our sport. it's why i've never understood the glee of posters who say things like 'thanks for your services but move em on', or 'useless, delist'. but that's just me — i cant help but see the human side of footy, when in reality its 70/30 business.

he was never a terrible player but just didn't quite have the ability to get involved in games enough, which you imagine comes with playing it or at least watching it as a junior. his skills were quite good though.

good luck to the lad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back