List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good mail? I've heard nothing on this.
I've heard he's staying as recently as tonight, but that was from someone with links to another club. So who knows.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any chance the club is playing the media and rumour mill off each other this year with the approval of smith?

After last year fiasco just think we need a new strategy and wouldn't be surprised if it's all intentional.

Gliggin

Debutant
Apr 17, 2017
London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Anyone have any feedback on the deficiencies that made Ross and Golds expendable?

I assume Ross had limited defensive abilities, but Golds is an interesting one.

Tom Browne said on Triple M last night that Isaac Smith is staying, for what that's worth.
Oh *, that’s the kiss of death!
thanks for the memories Smithy.

Anyone have any feedback on the deficiencies that made Ross and Golds expendable?

I assume Ross had limited defensive abilities, but Golds is an interesting one.

Rookie listed player who has done his ACL twice. It's fine to repay the faith but they're speculative picks for a reason.

FWIW I thought Golds could have been a decent player with a good run at it, but I guess the signs on his body would be that he wasn't going to get that run.

Any chance the club is playing the media and rumour mill off each other this year with the approval of smith?

After last year fiasco just think we need a new strategy and wouldn't be surprised if it's all intentional.

"Step right up! Step right up! Follow the Smith! Just follow the Smith! Keep. Your. Eye. On. The. Smith. Where will he go?! Nobody knows!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
On one hand I want Isaac to stay because he is a great winger, on the other hand I think we need to move on from thinking its still 2014 and plan for the 2023-2025 period where we can be top 4 and pushing for more premiership success, if we had transferred in 2017 when I wish we had, success would be from 2020-2022, 3 years earlier but we would have had to retire off premiership heroes prematurely so I can see the reasons why they did what they did, but I knew that we would pay the price for those decisions and the price we paid is being ordinary for 4 or so years.

We're getting nothing for Smith. The more I think about it, the more we really need him to stay.

Unless he's had enough of the club and wants a fresh start somewhere else.
Same I am hoping he stays. Wish it was Scully we were talking about leaving...

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On one hand I want Isaac to stay because he is a great winger, on the other hand I think we need to move on from thinking its still 2014 and plan for the 2023-2025 period where we can be top 4 and pushing for more premiership success, if we had transferred in 2017 when I wish we had, success would be from 2020-2022, 3 years earlier but we would have had to retire off premiership heroes prematurely so I can see the reasons why they did what they did, but I knew that we would pay the price for those decisions and the price we paid is being ordinary for 4 or so years.
This 100%. I love Smith, but the time is right for us to forge ahead and plan for the next. He was pretty good this year, but do we all remember how poor he was the previous season. We need to blood some new runners with more hunger for the contest. The speed and endurance is the first thing to go when age catches up. Goodluck to Melb if they offer 3 years, sheesh! think they would have learnt from Lewis.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
This 100%. I love Smith, but the time is right for us to forge ahead and plan for the next. He was pretty good this year, but do we all remember how poor he was the previous season. We need to blood some new runners with more hunger for the contest. The speed and endurance is the first thing to go when age catches up. Goodluck to Melb if they offer 3 years, sheesh! think they would have learnt from Lewis.
Smith was only poor because he had impact injuries. By memory it was his forearm and then something else. It wasn't so much his body failing him but just bad luck. He best servers us in staying now as obviously the time has come and gone in getting something for him.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Smith was only poor because he had impact injuries. By memory it was his forearm and then something else. It wasn't so much his body failing him but just bad luck. He best servers us in staying now as obviously the time has come and gone in getting something for him.
Played with a broken hand.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
So has anyone got an update on Smith?

This is an article on Fox Sports. Picture below is the link on the home page which says we have fought of everyone and he's staying but the article itself saying he has decision to make.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 12.03.28 pm.png

This is when you click on the link:

Fox Sports is obviously resorting to quoting Tom Browne 🤪

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Smithy loves the M.C.G it would definatly be a step backwards in the short term to lose him. Perhaps short term pain, long term gain. Loosing him for nothing you would rather keep him. If he want's one more year security up front and one last crack at it fair enough.

Relying on Scully stepping up and a young player like Moore coming thru.
It can also give you a chance to push Day up thru the wing and into the middle next season or moving Jom to the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back