List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think we will be making any rash decisions on our list with the departure of scully. The club were well aware of scully's issues. His retirement will come as no surprise. They would have planned for it.

So does anyone actually know how Scully's retirement effects our salary cap? I assume his salary will count for this season with the club / player coming to an agreement on a payout figure. Also I'm pretty sure he's OOC after this year too.

So does anyone actually know how Scully's retirement effects our salary cap? I assume his salary will count for this season with the club / player coming to an agreement on a payout figure. Also I'm pretty sure he's OOC after this year too.
yeah whatever the payout figure is will be on the cap

not sure if they can move him to the rookie list to save some $$ on TPP hit or not though with the current rules

It will depend on what payment arrangement the Club and Scully have agreed to.

I would imagine there would be a settlement agreed, only that amount is included in the cap.

We've got a full complement of rookies though haven't we?
we were pretty full so yeah it might not save the club any money even if they can shuffle the chairs

I would go with a small forward and a young ruckman with those two picks. By the end of next year, McEvoy, Ceglar and Brooksby would’ve all retired. That will leave Reeves as the only ruckman on the list. :oops:

I would go with a small forward and a young ruckman with those two picks. By the end of next year, McEvoy, Ceglar and Brooksby would’ve all retired. That will leave Reeves as the only ruckman on the list. :oops:
Yep, young ruck is a no brainer to fill a spot. I would sit on the other til mid season

Few reasons. Mainly as other posters have said. Having extra list spots available for the Mid-Season Draft could come very very handy.

The other is, he is a VFL standard player. I don't want us to settle for the likes of Ed Phillips when we can potentially find and reach higher.

Ed has proven he can perform at AFL level. He just wasn't a required player at St.Kilda in their current flag tilt.
I think we all agreed that Scully had 1 year left at the highest level until Downie or Day were ready to take his spot. After Scully it drops straight to Morrison for pure wings on our list. If Ed Phillips has to become the stop gap for 12 months we could do far worse. Still think he probably has improvement left at AFL level too.

In saying that, I'd still be okay with the club putting games into Downie, Day and Moore (to name a few) in that position instead.

2 spare spots, sign up a combination of Zavier Maher. Jackson Callow and Max Heath. All tipped to go top 30. No brainer for me. Club will prob hold off until mid season to get a better look. Either way having 2 spare spots with how things panned out last year its a great position to be in. Its almost like we have traded Scully for a late developer who could of been a top 20 pick . Can't wait to watch young side this year and into the future. A poster said before sometimes watching a rebuild can be just as fun as playing finals. Watching the last few years I like many were very negative on here but that's because of where our list/team was at. I reckon there will be a lot more positivity on here this year even with the losses as we'll be letting the kids have a red hot crack. lets do it!

Last edited:
2 spare spots, sign up a combination of Zavier Maher. Jackson Callow and Max Heath. All tipped to go top 30. No brainer for me. Club will prob hold off until mid season to get a better look. Either way having 2 spare spots with how things panned out last year its a great position to be in. Its almost like we have traded Scully for a late developer who could of been a top 20 pick . Can't wait to watch young side this year and into the future. A poster said before sometimes watching a rebuild can be just as fun as playing finals. Watching the last few years I like many were very negative on here but that's because of where our list/team was at. I reckon there will be a lot more positivity on here this year even with the losses as we'll be letting the kids have a red hot crack. lets do it!
Really good player selection.
Scully retired, Patto all but gone Sicily LTI... I think Moore, Greaves and Jekka/Reeves could be elevated and straight away lock those 3 away. All three fit in the required player type for 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Ceglar retiring with a year left on his contract?

Can 19 year olds be picked up from the tac cup this year in the mid season draft? I’d be waiting for that. Could get top 10 potential guys that didn’t have their chance to shine last year
Just watch the other clubs kick up a stink and have the AFL change the policy.

Few reasons. Mainly as other posters have said. Having extra list spots available for the Mid-Season Draft could come very very handy.

The other is, he is a VFL standard player. I don't want us to settle for the likes of Ed Phillips when we can potentially find and reach higher.
Waiting til mid-season while being down 3 players on our list for 2021 (Scully, Sicily, Patton) seems pointless for all spots, we should use one now to fill the hole left by Scully as our wing depth is relatively shallow right now losing him.

I think he has the ability to play well at AFL level & at 22 he still has a fair bit of development left in him imo. Sure we could potentially find & reach higher than Phillips but the odds of that are extremely slim & waiting til mid-season doesn't help our immediate need for a dedicated winger.

What are your thoughts on J2S question above Davo-27?

every year theres a few unlucky and a few lucky to get opportunities imo, it seems to be based on preference or maybe the mysterious interview process?

but the 3 that come to mind that were unlucky were.

1. Jackson Callow(KPF)
2. Kaine Baldwin(KPF) - 2 ACLs but if not injured could have been potentially top 10 worthy
3. Brodie Lake(Mid/Forw)

and these 2 were pretty good kids also

1. Zac Dumesny(HBF/Wing/HFF)
2. Clayton Gay(Med Def)

there were others that people liked more than i did, like these 2 kids.

1. Zavier Maher(Utility) good athletically, but not very productive
2. Max Heath(Ruck) unproven, the one game he played in 2019 was not great at all, but apparently he improved a bit, but hard to trust u18 coaches opinions
3. Henry Walsh(Ruck) Sam Walsh's brother, was developing decently, if we're interested in a young Ruck he could be an option?

but if we are keen on a young Ruck theres probably better Rucks in their early 20's in the state leagues.

Last edited:
How many picks can we take in the mid-season draft? I hope we keep one spot with this in mind. Given 2020, with no VFL or TAC, I suspect there is going to be some young bolters in the revamped VFL. It's likely we will get a top 4 pick here too..

With restricted list sizes, why would we want another ruckman to sit behind the 4 already on our list?
That would make zero sense to have 5 on the list at this point in time.

If we’re going to take a player or two before the season starts, it won’t be a young ruckman.

Bugs1977 these were the names

it's a great chance to get a look at one of the guys who didn't get drafted across the state leagues and pick them up at the mid season draft.

I also think now is the best time to play two of our young talls from Lewis,Jeka,Kosi in the first half of the season and see what they are capable off! It's given you a free hit and you can decide if we need to bolster this spot up with someone from a state league or focus on other aspects of the list.

Waiting til mid-season while being down 3 players on our list for 2021 (Scully, Sicily, Patton) seems pointless for all spots, we should use one now to fill the hole left by Scully as our wing depth is relatively shallow right now losing him.

I think he has the ability to play well at AFL level & at 22 he still has a fair bit of development left in him imo. Sure we could potentially find & reach higher than Phillips but the odds of that are extremely slim & waiting til mid-season doesn't help our immediate need for a dedicated winger.
If we are desperate for the likes of Ed Phillips then we are in some serious trouble.

Think the powers at be will look further than him imo.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

If we are desperate for the likes of Ed Phillips then we are in some serious trouble.

Think the powers at be will look further than him imo.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
I think you might be spot on. Their should be some real value depending how good our talent spotting is but also a lot of luck with how the people who didn’t get game time develop.

if we can unearth another greaves would go a long way

I think you might be spot on. Their should be some real value depending how good our talent spotting is but also a lot of luck with how the people who didn’t get game time develop.

if we can unearth another greaves would go a long way
Anyone know who our talent scouts are in VIC? Time to earn their $$$

Surely we have a whole list of kids we were tracking from the draft that could revisit (especially the vic kids).

Given we can get them to train at club for few weeks that should give us some insights on who is worth a punt.

I recall there was a vic kid (carrigan?) who was a wing prospect with great speed, but limited exposure that someone said we were interested in. Would be keen for us to try a high upside pick (rather than a Ed Phillips style player).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back