List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With restricted list sizes, why would we want another ruckman to sit behind the 4 already on our list?
That would make zero sense to have 5 on the list at this point in time.

If we’re going to take a player or two before the season starts, it won’t be a young ruckman.
It would be a lock away play. Brooksby is only there to ruck at box Hill to shoulder some of the load on Reeves; he won’t be there 2022. Cegs, I can’t see him as a great hope to be extended past 2022..2023 at best if he has a great year this season. BB the same.
If there is a ruck there now (Heath) that may have been a second Rd pick, if not for Covid, that we can put 2-3 years into it just sites up the position.
Patto’s time at Hawthorn it a pretty good template of the expectations on a developing ruck.
Heath would be the 4th ruck in 2022 and No.2 at Box Hill and possibly the second ruck in 2023 if he is good enough.

It would be a lock away play. Brooksby is only there to ruck at box Hill to shoulder some of the load on Reeves; he won’t be there 2022. Cegs, I can’t see him as a great hope to be extended past 2022..2023 at best if he has a great year this season. BB the same.
If there is a ruck there now (Heath) that may have been a second Rd pick, if not for Covid, that we can put 2-3 years into it just sites up the position.
Patto’s time at Hawthorn it a pretty good template of the expectations on a developing ruck.
Heath would be the 4th ruck in 2022 and No.2 at Box Hill and possibly the second ruck in 2023 if he is good enough.
So we “lock away” a player in the preseason of 2021 while lists have restricted numbers, so that he might be 3rd in line in 2023?

That’s nonsensical to me. Just filling a list spot for the sake of it, when we know that ruckman come on later and it makes much more sense to trade for a 26-27yr old, than to keep another Luke Lowden on the list for 5 years.

If we’re going to strengthen any part of the list at this point it would be with running players/forwards/mids well before a ruck man that won’t play for 3-4 years.

I would go with a small forward and a young ruckman with those two picks. By the end of next year, McEvoy, Ceglar and Brooksby would’ve all retired. That will leave Reeves as the only ruckman on the list. :oops:
I don't think Ceglar will retire at seasons end, nor McEvoy.

Edit: Whoops misread that. Both could be gone by end of next season.

If we are desperate for the likes of Ed Phillips then we are in some serious trouble.

Think the powers at be will look further than him imo.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

What better options do we have available right at this moment that are AFL ready? There isn't really too many that are AFL ready which is what we really need for wing depth. It can literally be a 1 year contract as a ready made backup. I don't see the big issue here.

Ed Phillips is 23 this year - it's not as if he's over the hill. I don't mind the thoughts of keeping our powder dry and watching the lower leagues this year for some gems that went undiscovered due to the lack of footy last year - but let's not make out that Ed is like us recruiting another Hendo or Scully.

Why do we need mature-aged wing depth? This is a development year and we have lots of players to rotate/trial in wing in 2021. Better to get a high upside kid who could make us better in 2023+.
It is a development year but having a mature aged depth player doesn't mean we wont be able to trial players. Our wing stocks include Phillips, Morrison and Downie. With Nash (unsure?), Jiath (training with defenders), Moore (training with forwards), Day (training with defenders) and Shiels capable playing there but it isn't their primary position. It's not a big list and I doubt we will see Downie play every game this year.

We have lost Henderson, Smith, Scully and Glass in the space of a year. That's brutal. That is literally our starting best 22 wingers at the beginning of last season. Having an additional mature aged player to assist in the time being is a good decision and offers more flexibility.

Why do we need mature-aged wing depth? This is a development year and we have lots of players to rotate/trial in wing in 2021. Better to get a high upside kid who could make us better in 2023+.
The wings are used to drag zone defences apart and to cover opposition runners in defence. You put a kid in who doesn’t know where to run or can go with runners the other way and it breaks down the whole game plan and it turns into a kick it down the line contest. So you stop everyone else being able to play the game plan if you can execute on the wings. Hence why Clarko has so routinely gone after mature wingman who can perform the role.

Ed Phillips is 23 this year - it's not as if he's over the hill. I don't mind the thoughts of keeping our powder dry and watching the lower leagues this year for some gems that went undiscovered due to the lack of footy last year - but let's not make out that Ed is like us recruiting another Hendo or Scully.
Would love if we could recruit another Hendo. Bang for buck he was an awesome pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club should have updated their website before the Hun blabbed it.
Pretty sure they don't even run their own website, the AFL controls them all

Yep and that it is why they run like a bag of sh*t.
I'd also be pretty confident with how much money Murdoch pumps in that they allow the HUN to "break" stories before uploading to the clubs sites

Did you see this year it's KAYO or nothing for streaming games? No more AFL App live pass

What better options do we have available right at this moment that are AFL ready? There isn't really too many that are AFL ready which is what we really need for wing depth. It can literally be a 1 year contract as a ready made backup. I don't see the big issue here.

Unsure there is a big issue? I just don't think we will go down that path. It is just an opinion after all.

I'd also be pretty confident with how much money Murdoch pumps in that they allow the HUN to "break" stories before uploading to the clubs sites

Did you see this year it's KAYO or nothing for streaming games? No more AFL App live pass
I guess that is why we are here. Hawks Bigfooty posters break all the news I need.

So you have to pay $5 a month for what was free before :mad:

I was going to get it this year so at least I dont have to pay $25 a month

$5 a month is only for 12 month for existing customers

It is a development year but having a mature aged depth player doesn't mean we wont be able to trial players. Our wing stocks include Phillips, Morrison and Downie. With Nash (unsure?), Jiath (training with defenders), Moore (training with forwards), Day (training with defenders) and Shiels capable playing there but it isn't their primary position. It's not a big list and I doubt we will see Downie play every game this year.

We have lost Henderson, Smith, Scully and Glass in the space of a year. That's brutal. That is literally our starting best 22 wingers at the beginning of last season. Having an additional mature aged player to assist in the time being is a good decision and offers more flexibility.

Downie hasn't really even palyed ona wing at under age footy has he? He may get there at ALF level, but surely he and Day are more half back flankers at this stage. For it's Phillips and Morrison as prue wingers with guys like Shiels, Wings, Moore likely to get shifts, maybe even Finn and other part time kids.

So you have to pay $5 a month for what was free before :mad:

I was going to get it this year so at least I dont have to pay $25 a month

$5 a month is only for 12 month for existing customers
Kayo is actually really good and can be natively streamed on your TV, so no messing around with dongles with your phone. And you can make it much cheaper for yourself quite easily. Discounts for new customers seem to pop up regularly. Then just find a 1-2 mates who are willing to share a login (you can have a few concurrent user profiles streaming - just make sure your mates aren't sharing with others or you'll run into issues) and split the cost between the lot of you. You'll save even more if you're all happy to cancel the service outside of the footy season as you only pay month to month with no contracts. So only paying it for like 5-6 months.

So even if you're not utilising any discounts but are sharing with 1-2 others and only keeping it for 6 months for the AFL then you'll only pay $70-75 each for the year. That's pretty good value for what is essentially the entire FoxFooty experience without the Foxtel price and commitment.

Kayo is actually really good and can be natively streamed on your TV, so no messing around with dongles with your phone. And you can make it much cheaper for yourself quite easily. Discounts for new customers seem to pop up regularly. Then just find a 1-2 mates who are willing to share a login (you can have a few concurrent user profiles streaming - just make sure your mates aren't sharing with others or you'll run into issues) and split the cost between the lot of you. You'll save even more if you're all happy to cancel the service outside of the footy season as you only pay month to month with no contracts. So only paying it for like 5-6 months.

So even if you're not utilising any discounts but are sharing with 1-2 others and only keeping it for 6 months for the AFL then you'll only pay $70-75 each for the year. That's pretty good value for what is essentially the entire FoxFooty experience without the Foxtel price and commitment.
Latest offer from Telstra is $15 a month for 2 connections (but you have to take a year)
Still works out ok even if the only sport I watch is AFL
I will look into the $5 version and see if I can get it on TV via Kodi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back