List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Downie hasn't really even palyed ona wing at under age footy has he? He may get there at ALF level, but surely he and Day are more half back flankers at this stage. For it's Phillips and Morrison as prue wingers with guys like Shiels, Wings, Moore likely to get shifts, maybe even Finn and other part time kids.
I believe he has played both half back and wing. It was the inside mid role he has yet to be trialed in.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Anyone know anything about him?

i had him as an outside chance to be drafted last year, inside mid who showed some class in his underage year in 2019, probably the best kid from Dandenong in his draft year, decent prospect who could develop into a player? if i remember he did have decent acceleration? its been awhile since i saw him play, but he did look good in his underage year for Dandenong, i remember that.

Will we pick someone up now or wait for the msd? is The difference you can get 1st dibs on a player now but in the msd it is still a draft and is based on ladder order so you may get beaten out to a kid from a lower placed club? trial and pick a player now or go to draft. I guess with 2-3 selections you can do both

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will we pick someone up now or wait for the msd? is The difference you can get 1st dibs on a player now but in the msd it is still a draft and is based on ladder order so you may get beaten out to a kid from a lower placed club? trial and pick a player now or go to draft. I guess with 2-3 selections you can do both
I think with Scully retiring, Patton sitting out indefinitely and Sicily out for most if not all the year we will heavily explore this option.

I would be surprised if we don’t add one player before the season starts. Gunston will miss the first month at least. We’re already without four players from our best 22.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Anyone know anything about him?
From that profile, appears we’ve changed our recruiting model - prioritising speed, power and hardness with skills and decision making a 2nd order priority. Seems similar to Saunders in some ways. But a type we’ve typically not looked at (seems more a Richmond style pick).

CobberRodgers

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I don't see there being too many of these come halfway through the year to be honest. One, maybe two at max.

Tough start to the season with limited resources.

We could use a 19YO mid season draft steal and a top 2/3 pick in the next draft, so I'm not complaining.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From that profile, appears we’ve changed our recruiting model - prioritising speed, power and hardness with skills and decision making a 2nd order priority. Seems similar to Saunders in some ways. But a type we’ve typically not looked at (seems more a Richmond style pick).
Yes we have a clear focus on speed. This started a couple of years ago but really escalated this offseason. * indicates above average pace (at least for a their position)

Mitchell
O'Meara*
Vickery
Henderson*

Morrison
Lewis

Hanrahan*
Fitzpatrick
Nash*

Impey*

Worpel*
Moore
Ross

Jones
Mira
Wilsmore
Cousins
CJ*

Mitchington*
Scrimshaw
Scully*
Wingard*

Kosi*
Walker

Geaves
Golds*
Mohr
Reeves

Frost*
Patton

Day*
Maginness*
Morris*

Hartley
Jeka*
Pepper*
Booksby
Mitchington*

Hartigan
Phillips

DGB*
Mitchell*
Downie*
Brockman*

Saunders*

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes we have a clear focus on speed. This started a couple of years ago but really escalated this offseason. * indicates above average pace (at least for a their position)

Mitchell
O'Meara*
Vickery
Henderson*

Morrison
Lewis

Hanrahan*
Fitzpatrick
Nash*

Impey*

Worpel*
Moore
Ross

Jones
Mira
Wilsmore
Cousins
CJ*

Mitchington*
Scrimshaw
Scully*
Wingard*

Kosi*
Walker

Geaves
Golds*
Mohr
Reeves

Frost*
Patton

Day*
Maginness*
Morris*

Hartley
Jeka*
Pepper*
Booksby
Mitchington*

Hartigan
Phillips

DGB*
Mitchell*
Downie*
Brockman*

Saunders*
Massively ramped up this draft. Get the feeling McKenzie rates the attribute more than Wright has in the past. I know Wright put a premium on kicking.

Certainly has a Richmond feel to it. And fair enough.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Massively ramped up this draft. Get the feeling McKenzie rates the attribute more than Wright has in the past. I know Wright put a premium on kicking.

I think it is driven by a shift away from structured play towards unstructured play. Good teams can attack quickly before the zone is in place. No point having the best zone and foot skills if teams jet out of their backline and get it down the other end before you can set up. Less stoppages means less chances to reset. And it is becoming impossible to get out of defence if you can’t out sprint your opposition into space.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

And by all reports we were also looking to draft Max Holmes up until the Cats moved up and nabbed him from us. He smashed the 20m sprint at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. I reckon the new manning the mark rules will make players with speed extremely valuable so will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it is driven by a shift away from structured play towards unstructured play. Good teams can attack quickly before the zone is in place. No point having the best zone and foot skills if teams jet out of their backline and get it down the other end before you can set up. Less stoppages means less chances to reset. And it is becoming impossible to get out of defence if you can’t out sprint your opposition into space.
The Tigers model. Modern game, proven success. Most will be doing it.

The Tigers model. Modern game, proven success. Most will be doing it.
If we are to go down that path then we really do need at least 2 marking and goal kicking forwards, Geelong know it and so does Bris. so they get a key forward each.
Gunston out could have a huge impact on our ability score.

Mitchell
O'Meara*
Vickery
Henderson*

Morrison
Lewis

Hanrahan*
Fitzpatrick
Nash*

Impey*

Worpel*
Moore
Ross

Jones
Mira
Wilsmore
Cousins
CJ*

Mitchington*
Scrimshaw
Scully*
Wingard*

Kosi*
Walker

Geaves
Golds*
Mohr
Reeves

Frost*
Patton

Day*
Maginness*
Morris*

Hartley
Jeka*
Pepper*
Booksby
Mitchington*

Hartigan
Phillips

DGB*
Mitchell*
Downie*
Brockman*

Saunders*
Think you might find Fitzpatrick had some toe as well.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
when we were a running machine of a side our HBs and HFs were basically extra mids with the likes of Birch, Osborne Bateman filling positions. All had great running ability and explosive speed.

Impey on one wing and Philips on the other this year.

Hb line Scrimmers DGB Frost/ Day
HFs Breust O’Brien Wingard

when we were a running machine of a side our HBs and HFs were basically extra mids with the likes of Birch, Osborne Bateman filling positions. All had great running ability and explosive speed.

Impey on one wing and Philips on the other this year.

Hb line Scrimmers DGB Frost/ Day
HFs Breust O’Brien Wingard

Interesting. When we first recruited Impey wasn’t there talk of building his tank so he could play outside mid in future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back