Should Interstate Clubs Sell Home Games To Play At The MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree there.

Between the two SA clubs there's been quite a few visits to Launceston or Hobart.

Maybe it's because Hawks don't like it when we beat them at the 'G?

This, the Crows went to Tasmania, the Northern Territory, Western Australia and Queensland this year (along with Victoria and South Australia obviously). Also played at Kardinia.

Getting the chance to play Melbourne at the MCG rather than in Darwin would have been invaluable.

Question:

Would a Victorian club be prepared to sell a home game interstate (other than Hawks and North...)

We sold games to the Gold Coast / Cairns, it was a smart move at the time and helped us build to a premiership.

It's disappointing to see so many Adelaide supporters complaining about the MCG because Richmond won, when Adelaide has won 75% of their matches there in recent years.

Far easier (and cheaper) to just ensure the fixture has at least two games for every interstate club at the MCG.

There have been seasons where interstate clubs have just had one or not even a single game at the MCG.

It's not hard.
Our last two seasons have had one. I dont ask for much, and I dont want the GF moved. We need more than that though.

Adelaide had 7.5 wins from their previous 10 games at the MCG. Only Richmond and the Bulldogs (8/10) can match this. Is it even possible to improve on this by selling home games?

Adelaide only played at the MCG 3 times before the Grand Final in 2017 and in those 3 games they hardly brought out impressive performances. They barely beat Carlton.

Adelaide only played at the MCG 3 times before the Grand Final in 2017 and in those 3 games they hardly brought out impressive performances. They barely beat Carlton.
3 is a good number for a non Victorian team. GWS only played once there this year. Even St Kilda only played there twice this year IIRC. I think Footscray only played there once in 2016 before the finals too.

46 games at the MCG each year. 7 Melbourne clubs play at home there (North and Bulldogs don't have any MCG home games) plus Geelong. Hard to fit in all of the Home fixture requests even before you get to the away requests.

Far easier (and cheaper) to just ensure the fixture has at least two games for every interstate club at the MCG.

There have been seasons where interstate clubs have just had one or not even a single game at the MCG.

It's not hard.
There are 3 clubs at the G that would mean the interstate clubs playing Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne always at the G not sure they would be happy with giving up home advantage.
Before Saturday when Adelaide were hot favourites everyone was saying the ground makes no difference and as it is Adelaide play well at the G, the reality is like in most GF's the better team on the day won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 is a good number for a non Victorian team. GWS only played once there this year. Even St Kilda only played there twice this year IIRC. I think Footscray only played there once in 2016 before the finals too.

AND.... every club from Victoria bar the Melbourne and Richmond co-tenants used to play only twice their in home and away for many many years. When we beat Richmond in 1982 grand final at the MCG we only played their twice in away games against Melbourne and Richmond.
If a club is getting 3 games there in home and away season that is plenty for a club not even from this state.
1 is not enough though. Should be programming every club from interstate 2 games there. Maybe the lowest one from season before only gets one if it hard to program perfectly each year.

Should build the E-Gate stadium and move Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon and Carlton away from the MCG. Keep it for Melbourne, Richmond and Collingwood only.

Another?

When was the last time we played a home game at the G?
I was of the belief in the past couple of seasons the AFL has given you a token MCG home game. You had one in 2016, thought you had one in 2017 but I misread.

Should build the E-Gate stadium and move Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon and Carlton away from the MCG. Keep it for Melbourne, Richmond and Collingwood only.
No what should happen is no Melbourne based team should have one ground as their home ground.

Since it means nothing in finals for Etihad clubs, home games should be fixtured between the stadiums based on best-fit (as they are for finals).

Will never happen but that would be the fairest system if you're not going to allow Geelong & Etihad tenants to play home finals.

Who are they selling the game to exactly? Why would the AFL compensate Adelaide for playing, say, GWS at the MCG in front of 10k people?

The deal has no commercial or strategic value from the AFL's perspective. It's very different from playing games in Tasmania or Darwin or northern Queensland.

The G is the home of footy and always will be
Except when minnow clubs who supposedly have it as their home ground can’t make a buck there, then it’s Tasmania, Cairns, or NT.

It’s a bit rich for people to call it the home of footy when every tenant aside from Collingwood has sold their home games.

Not much of a “home” of footy if you have to relocate games.

Last edited:
From a Tiger perspective this is a good idea. Richmond wouldn't need to buy the games 'cos the other club would get the gate receipts as it's their home game which let's face it will be huge with the Tiger Army. Interstate clubs can get MCG time and make big bucks, the Tigers can play every game at the 'G and everyone can stop whinging!

How about not sending us to Tasmania and the Alice when we are supposed to be playing at the G for a start. It should be a pre-requisite for MCG tenants that they can't sell home games. If they want to then move them to Etihad. I am sure Essendon and Carlton would love to have the G as their home base.

This would also apply to Melbourne who have this untouchable rule about them.

I can't believe we should have to sell home games to make up for the games that get moved away from the G.

Ideally, there would be no home teams at the G which would free up the ground to make it fair to all (Etihad tenants as well) so that everyone plays the same number of games at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back