Should Ken Hunter have got a half-back-flank spot in the Carlton Team of the Century?

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt Kenny was great and deserves a spot, doesn’t mean he should get it though. Doull is a shoe and I never saw anything of the other two so too difficult to assess.
If Doull is a shoe how come we never had a pair of him?

No doubt Kenny was great and deserves a spot, doesn’t mean he should get it though. Doull is a shoe and I never saw anything of the other two so too difficult to assess.
Shoes have a tongue that is well used, Doull does not

To opposition forwards, it probably felt like we had two Doulls....
The one that came silently from behind to rise and punch football even as said forward almost marks
Then the one running past like a puma to collect own punched football and dash down field with ball in hand

Bemused forward thinking.....couldnt be the same Doull....nahhhhh no way

The one that came silently from behind to rise and punch football even as said forward almost marks
Then the one running past like a puma to collect own punched football and dash down field with ball in hand

Bemused forward thinking.....couldnt be the same Doull....nahhhhh no way
The old story was that the Dominator and Buzz (when playing half forward) were both very keen to play on the same side of the field that Doully played on, knowing that he would beat his opponent, run off and deliver perfectly to the leading half forward. There were times the runner had to order one to the other side of the field as both would line up on Doully's side.

Doull has claims on being the greatest defender in Australian Rules history.

James won three B&Fs and a Brownlow.

I am a huge fan of Kenny Hunter, but that's some bloody stiff competition for a HBF spot. He also played patches further up the ground and while he was mostly a HBF, you could call him a utility.

His chances of making the starting 18 are also hurt by him spending six seasons in the WAFL before joining the Blues.
Also the other two wore their socks up. Kenny just could never keep his socks up, try as he might they just stayed closer to his boots. Maybe he lost points for that? What a player he was! In an era when being tough often meant trying to bash a guy when he wasnt looking, Kenny just went for the footy!

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon if anything Harry Madden was pretty stiff to miss out alltogether. Played 287 of his 332 games for the Blues. Also played in 2 flags and won 2 B & F's and despite the jocularity he could bring, seriously influenced many many games. Clearly Big Nick was always going to be first ruck so I guess that it was down to Harry and Fitzy for the other spot. Mike Fitzpatrick played 150 games, three flags (2 as skipper) and a B & F in 1979. Would have been a tight call but Fitzy got the nod.
Fitzy wins the spot because he destroyed Peter Moore, the reigning brownlow medalist in 79 grandfinal. Towels him again 81 and was in the top 3 on the ground. Then in 82 holds down Centre Half Forward and kicks 2 goals. Madden can't beat Fitzy's finals record

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzy wins the spot because he destroyed Peter Moore, the reigning brownlow medalist in 79 grandfinal. Towels him again 81 and was in the top 3 on the ground. Then in 82 holds down Centre Half Forward and kicks 2 goals. Madden can't beat Fitzy's finals record
Not quite true though. In 1981 Moore was injured pre grand final and the Woods decided to play him as a permanent forward pocket where he was nullified by Scotty Howell. No doubt fitzy was a great big game player though. Harry was rated an 8 out of 10 (equal 2nd highest) in the 1987 grand final and third best in the 1995 grand final so was no slouch either.
Anyway I would never argue that Fitzy didnt deserve to be, just an interesting discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back