Should Ken Hunter have got a half-back-flank spot in the Carlton Team of the Century?

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton's Team of the Century:

My question is: Should Ken Hunter have made the team on a half-back-flank instead of being an interchange? I never saw John James play so can't comment. I remember Bruce Doull near the end of the his career playing at full-back. I heard he was a half-back-flanker early on but I was too young to see that era.

Last edited:
Doull has claims on being the greatest defender in Australian Rules history.

James won three B&Fs and a Brownlow.

I am a huge fan of Kenny Hunter, but that's some bloody stiff competition for a HBF spot. He also played patches further up the ground and while he was mostly a HBF, you could call him a utility.

His chances of making the starting 18 are also hurt by him spending six seasons in the WAFL before joining the Blues.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Reckon if anything Harry Madden was pretty stiff to miss out alltogether. Played 287 of his 332 games for the Blues. Also played in 2 flags and won 2 B & F's and despite the jocularity he could bring, seriously influenced many many games. Clearly Big Nick was always going to be first ruck so I guess that it was down to Harry and Fitzy for the other spot. Mike Fitzpatrick played 150 games, three flags (2 as skipper) and a B & F in 1979. Would have been a tight call but Fitzy got the nod.

Reckon if anything Harry Madden was pretty stiff to miss out alltogether. Played 287 of his 332 games for the Blues. Also played in 2 flags and won 2 B & F's and despite the jocularity he could bring, seriously influenced many many games. Clearly Big Nick was always going to be first ruck so I guess that it was down to Harry and Fitzy for the other spot. Mike Fitzpatrick played 150 games, three flags (2 as skipper) and a B & F in 1979. Would have been a tight call but Fitzy got the nod.

I was there that day when harry (if memory serves me), out of the centre square ... bounced it a few times and goaled on the run ... it was scintillating and horrifying to watch all at the same time lol.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
I was there that day when harry (if memory serves me), out of the centre square ... bounced it a few times and goaled on the run ... it was scintillating and horrifying to watch all at the same time lol.

Yup. Semi vs the Crows at Waverley. Put us into that fateful GF. I was sitting just to the left of the goals Harry was kicking to. Crowd laughed and cheered.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Was there also...and for most if not all that highlights reel, great stuff.

First player who I got their number on my jumper, loved Kenny.

Reckon he deserved to be in the team, and he is. Pretty hard to argue about any of the selections, can’t fit them all on the ground.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
No doubt Kenny was great and deserves a spot, doesn’t mean he should get it though. Doull is a shoe in and I never saw anything of the other two so too difficult to assess.

EFA

Last edited:
Loved Kenny as courageous a player I ever saw. Happy he's in the team but that half backline is bloody top notch. thylacine60 saw James so I'll wait for his verdict.
Someone less busy than me can put a second TOTC together. It'd still be full of awesome awesomeness.

Back