Opinion Should Korda stand down?

Should Korda stand down immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 44.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew that salaries - specifically treloar's - had been renegotiated well before he was traded last year. I think it was reported a couple of years ago when it was done that salaries had been renegotiated so that salary cap was made available to negotiate the big contracts for grundy and the rest.

You would think that Geoff Walsh had a hand in it and probably Eddie would have had his say because he would have his say about everything at the Pies. The salary cap wouldnt have been breached obviously because that was the reason that they were putting off salary payments to keep under the cap, with the understanding that the cap would go up to cover it. The finance committee wouldnt have determined how the footy side was spending its money. Thats the CEO's job as far as I know.

You would think that the board would have known of the strategy but I wouldnt have thought that Korda was at the heart of the decision to do it.

Its not as if the whole strategy is so unusual in the industry. I heard that Buddy is being paid a massive amount of money this year.....well over $1m... if not several hundred thousand more. That was the plan when sydney signed him and they have had to adjust the other player's salaries along the way to keep under the salary cap.
Yes I would be totally shocked if Korda’s remit was to also manage the salary cap. If it was a long term, very high cost contract (Grundy), the board as a whole would probably spend time on it. Not specifically Korda. His role would be on the finances/audit of the Collingwood Football Club as a whole, and not player contracts.

Walsh was ultimately responsible for that. Probably didn’t help having the President at the time stick his nose in it.

While I’m not necessarily a fan of Korda, at least he is not influencing football decisions. Allowing G Wright to do the job he is employed to do is at least moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

I know a few days in footy can change things, but Browne gave a quote to Barrett immediately after Bucks' resignation making it clear he still intended to challenge
I get the impression Barrett and Browne must be friends. Barrett's constant criticism of the club and the board drives me insane - every opportunity Barrett has to criticise Korda and call the club 'shambolic' he takes. He clearly has a pro-Browne, anti-Korda agenda.

Yes I would be totally shocked if Korea’s remit was to also manage the salary cap. If it was a long term, very high cost contract (Grundy), the board as a whole would probably spend time on it. Not specifically Korda. His role would be on the finances/audit of the Collingwood Football Club as a whole, and not player contracts.

Walsh was ultimately responsible for that. Probably didn’t help having the President at the time stick his nose in it.

While I’m not necessarily a fan of Korda, at least he is not influencing football decisions. Allowing G Wright to do the job he is employed to do is at least moving in the right direction.

I agree. He obviously wants other people in the organisation to take responsibility for their areas where they have the expertise. I know we've become used to the president acting like the CEO, that doesnt usually happen.

The other aspect is that korda is making changes now. If it doesnt work, vote him out at the end of his term. Even if it does work, we can vote him out if he isnt projecting the image that we want a president to project - which appears to be his main problem at present.

I disagree with the premise of the thread, but I'm not a fan of Korda all the same. Willing to let him convince me, but boy is he uninspiring

Does the president need to be "inspiring"? He shouldn't be the face of the club just because Ed seemed to be that. Surely the inspiration should come from the teams.

I know a few days in footy can change things, but Browne gave a quote to Barrett immediately after Bucks' resignation making it clear he still intended to challenge

It'll be interesting.

He would have been as surprised as anyone by the announcement, and in the circumstances his only response could have been to reiterate a need for change at board level.

Yet the landscape has just changed quite dramatically, and he'll need to get his head around that. My vague sense is that the changes which have taken place will rob Browne of momentum, but maybe he's had something up his sleeve the entire time and will blindside us all?

Likes sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives.

lets hope things progress a little more quickly than that soapie...

I don't actually recall much of the show, except its opening credits, at which time I'd lunge at the TV to switch channel.

I was more a General Hospital fan...

It'll be interesting.

He would have been as surprised as anyone by the announcement, and in the circumstances his only response could have been to reiterate a need for change at board level.

Yet the landscape has just changed quite dramatically, and he'll need to get his head around that. My vague sense is that the changes which have taken place will rob Browne of momentum, but maybe he's had something up his sleeve the entire time and will blindside us all?

Likes sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives.
To convince me…he has to run a Presidential style campaign (excuse the French).
Clearly differentiate himself from existing board, lay out a clear path, highlight exactly what he will change & when, leave me convinced that he (& his team) are the best choice.
Good luck if he can achieve that…I have my doubts.

And if it does come to a spill,
Voting members, like me, who love Bucks, will have our pound of flesh.

If it’s going to be civil war, then I’ll back Collingwood people.

I gather by the bolded you mean those like minded to keep Buckley as coach, if that is what you're saying, on face value I'd suggest those who wanted to keep Buckley are definitely in the minority. You might get a coupla grams of flesh not a pound.

What the egm is really about is giving members like yourself a real chance to vote, not an agm situation where there is no opposing candidate to Eddie.

In saying that, the eruption somewhat has eased with the classy exit of Nathan. The club is already in civil war, it's the board vs the members and fans.

As soon as the board starts to pay respect to it's fan base, instead of pissing in our pockets and telling us it's raining, they'll go a long way to winning the votes. Will Browne do the smart thing and be honest and transparent and tell us his vision? Who knows.

Right now the board is the beggar and the members are the choosers. Going on the history of our board, the incumbent or the new will have to operate intelligently and diligently - has no room to move. It's actually a good scenario.

I don't actually recall much of the show, except its opening credits, at which time I'd lunge at the TV to switch channel.

I was more a General Hospital fan...

I distinctly remember being sick as a child with the measles or something and being propped up on the couch in front of the telly watching it with my mother. Several years later I had another reason to be home and after a two minute briefing from my mother, i could pick up the story as if nothing happened in between.....which, of course, was the case.

Back to Korda, he has made a few blues, notably giving holgate the responsibility of finding a new director, but he is going down the right path. One thing that I've been critical of Eddie is that he smothered the club. At least this guy is giving others a stake in the club. I've had a feeling for the last two decades that there was Eddie and the rest were his support staff.

The other thing is that I've been banging on for a decade about moving on dead meat like alex waislitz and no one really cared. At least people now have a little more interest in the admin, even though I wince when I see people wanting Korda to act like Eddie Mark 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if it does come to a spill,

Voting members, like me, who love Bucks, will have our pound of flesh.

If it’s going to be civil war, then I’ll back Collingwood people.

It would sadden me deeply if voters were looking at any one individual issue to determine their voting preferences. Especially something as superficial as Bucks coaching tenure coming to a close. It was always more likely than unlikely, irrespective of which board was in charge. While the board would have endorsed the move, it was ultimately Wrighty who made the call. How about voters focus on what's best for the club, not petty revenge.

Last edited:
I asked last week what people wanted to hear as a vision and 76 gave some thoughts. What do you want to hear?

An honest plan to strive for sustained success, and the how the club is going to get there. Like the mob over the rail line did 10 years ago.

Sure it's not 'guaranteed' and nothing is, and yes we know it's an automatic that the club will strive for it. However publicly committing, it'd give the fans some hope that the club will operate a lot better than it has over the last 10 years.

An honest plan to strive for sustained success, and the how the club is going to get there. Like the mob over the rail line did 10 years ago.

Sure it's not 'guaranteed' and nothing is, and yes we know it's an automatic that the club will strive for it. However publicly committing, it'd give the fans some hope that the club will operate a lot better than it has over the last 10 years.

So that is appoint the right people, evaluate at the end of the year how everything is going?

I'm not trying to trick you out here, but is there anything you'd like to see in a plan?

Exactly. A vision forward, where he will take the Club (& how).
If he campaigns negatively, slamming the existing board for salary cap, board appointments, mismanagement then he will not receive my vote. I’m looking ahead…so should he.

So that is appoint the right people, evaluate at the end of the year how everything is going?

I'm not trying to trick you out here, but is there anything you'd like to see in a plan?

Well that's not my area of expertise, I guess I'm more of avoiding the obvious bad decisions made in the last whatever since the failed succession plan from a FD perspective which of course the board above the FD (their bosses) are responsible to hold them to account to ensure efficiency.

Exactly. A vision forward, where he will take the Club (& how).
If he campaigns negatively, slamming the existing board for salary cap, board appointments, mismanagement then he will not receive my vote. I’m looking ahead…so should he.

So have you got anything that you'd like to see in a plan?

Well that's not my area of expertise, I guess I'm more of avoiding the obvious bad decisions made in the last whatever since the failed succession plan from a FD perspective which of course the board above the FD (their bosses) are responsible to hold them to account to ensure efficiency.

well we are all just armchair experts, I suppose when politicians state their policies, we are just making an assessment on what we know personally.

So have you got anything that you'd like to see in a plan?
I’m not the one running for office.
I want to be surprised, impressed, head nodding moments etc.
I doubt he can convince me…but I’m open to be convinced.
The existing board are already steaming ahead with changes required.
Probably what I want is a clear direction, with a 5 year plan, some KPI’s for key management, list management system overhaul, checks & balances, constant reviews etc.
Ball is squarely in Brown‘s court.
Mr Browne…I’m waiting.

I’m not the one running for office.
I want to be surprised, impressed, head nodding moments etc.
I doubt he can convince me…but I’m open to be convinced.
The existing board are already steaming ahead with changes required.
Probably what I want is a clear direction, with a 5 year plan, some KPI’s for key management, list management system overhaul, checks & balances, constant reviews etc.
Ball is squarely in Brown‘s court.
Mr Browne…I’m waiting.

Much of that will be articulated by the new coach wont it?

Much of that will be articulated by the new coach wont it?
Yes from the pure Football perspective.
From the board, financial plans, sponsors, member benefits & engagement, social club facilities & functions, improved media access to VFL etc

i'd like to see involvement by everyone at board level, and we havent seen that in the last 20 years and we've seen more of that in the last 3 months than we have seen in the last 20 years.

i'd like to see more responsibility being seen to be taken by everyone in the organisation, rather than a president and a coach who front for everything.

i'd like to see the CEO promoted as a role, if he's up to it. This probably goes back to the days of gary pert and greg swan but i think other clubs like richmond with gale and geelong with brian cook have had a person concerned with the day to day running of the club, rather than going to the president for everything. The board meets monthly, it cant hope to deal with things that come up on a weekly basis. Having the board deal with everything feeds into having a president who is effectively the CEO of the organisation which was what eddie was.

Most of all, I'd like to see the end of situation where one person or a small group packages up a club for the entertainment of its members... like selling a product.. where the collingwood fans critique the club like a new iphone and complain about it and demand the president to adjust it or fix it. I'll never feel anything for a club that is privately owned for that reason. I dont barrack for something owned by a multinational or a billionaire. Collingwood is a club. it should act as such, and its fans should be looking at the mirror when they feel like criticising it. I've seen a lot of whingeing over the years but any situation that the club is currently in, is largely because the fans were happy to take their hands off the wheel and let others run it as they wanted to run it.

Back