• Yes

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 44.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of hogswash.
Which part of it is not true ?

It’s amazing how fast you and your mate Jackass are on here anytime anything negative is said against Korda and the board, just out of curiosity are you both mates of Korda’s ?

They were trying to pinch a flag, rolled the dice.
I support the trying to pinch a flag aspect.
Nobody disagrees on pinching a flag but generally most teams can manage the cap (Richmond, Geelong perhaps?) and not backend contracts to the point where the hole getting dug is so deep it leads to a firesale of quality players.
Yep, as indicated, I think you're conflating a lot of (mostly illogical) guesswork to draw your conclusions so I'll leave it there. I await the AFL report outlining that we exceeded TPP by $1M, should be an interesting read.
Not sure what's illogical about the board approving all decisions. Not sure what you think the board do if part of their role is not governance and ensuring accountability. Maybe this board doesn't do that.

I think you're smart enough to interpret that we didn't exceed the cap by that amount, but only due to the fact we got rid of 3 best 22 players for next to nothing - including paying Treloar $300k per year for the privilege of playing against us. No guesswork there.

Nobody disagrees on pinching a flag but generally most teams can manage the cap (Richmond, Geelong perhaps?) and not backend contracts to the point where the hole getting dug is so deep it leads to a firesale of quality players.

Not sure what's illogical about the board approving all decisions. Not sure what you think the board do if part of their role is not governance and ensuring accountability. Maybe this board doesn't do that.

I think you're smart enough to interpret that we didn't exceed the cap by that amount, but only due to the fact we got rid of 3 best 22 players for next to nothing - including paying Treloar $300k per year for the privilege of playing against us. No guesswork there.
How ironic the Korda cronies call it rolling the dice for a premiership on a guy with a gambling problem, mental health issues and bagged out the club when he walked out, then went and asked players to backend their contracts to fit him in our already bulging cap, and then said to those players we are now going to trade you, we can’t honour the contract.Then throw in the 2 first round draft picks it cost us.

As I’ve said before that’s not rolling the dice, it was Russian roulette and nothing short of incompetent governance.

McGuire has payed the price for it and so should the rest.

Tell me the last time a coach was sacked and the football director was the one answering questions from journalists at a press conference?

How many coaches get a press conference?

The only one I remember is the one Ross Lyon organised for himself after he left Fremantle, journos were told to turn up to some suburban park, Lyon walked across the park the the journos, answered their questions, then walked back.

The whole board obviously didn’t see the news, the night they left the curtains open for the media to see, and on top of the whiteboard was written about problems with the cap.

That night took place at the end of 2017. We’d just finished 13th on the ladder after four years of being out of finals.

The board had two choices that night …

(a) Give up on challenging for a premiership any time soon, rebuild, and get the salary cap down.

(b) Challenge for a Premiership in the coming three years, load up the salary cap even more by back ending contracts to a point where after three years we’d need a fire sale - especially in the unlikely event a global pandemic hit and there became a contraction in the salary cap.

The board chose (b) and got to within a kick of winning a Premiership the following year. Made it to a Prelim and a semi in the years after that.

Are you seriously suggesting they should have gone for option A?

Further, of the eight people in the room that night (the whole board of seven plus Walsh), only two are left at the club today (Korda and Holgate).

Are you seriously suggesting that we should get rid of the entire board today, because two of the seven were on the board that made a decision that Collingwood should be competing for Premierships?!?

It’s laughable how the apologists on here try to absolve any responsibility of the board to the biggest screw up in the history of the salary cap, …

Not the biggest screwup by a long long way.

Carlton getting busted for cheating the salary cap was way worse … it’s led to two decades (and counting) of utter mediocrity.

Adelaide getting busted over Tippett was way worse.

Last edited:
How ironic the Korda cronies …

Mate, nobody is a Korda crony.

Everybody seems to agree that Korda has all the personality of a wet fish. He has only been on the job for a few months. He is not a cult of personality game show host like the last bloke was.

I don’t see any Korda cheerleaders. I just see some folks who think it’s refreshing to have a President who seems to know nothing about footy and who is happy to delegate footy decisions to people who do. I see some folks who think it was time for Buckley to move on, and are glad the decision was made. And I see some folks who accept that Korda is our best option for President until there is a viable alternative (and despite all the rhetoric around Browne, they’ve heard nothing from him that would indicate he could or would make the joint any better or worse)

… call it rolling the dice for a premiership on a guy with a gambling problem, mental health issues and bagged out the club when he walked out,…

… Premiership player, four time B&F winner, captain of their club, only 28 years old.

To be clear, that took place in the 2018 trade period, weeks after we’d gone within a kick of a Premiership.

Whilst not everybody was in favour of getting Beams back, I didn’t see any Collingwood masses calling for the sacking of the president, an EGM, a board spill at the time. Did you? But now they do, when we have a different President, and an almost different board. Why now?

then went and asked players to backend their contracts to fit him in our already bulging cap, and then said to those players we are now going to trade you, we can’t honour the contract.Then throw in the 2 first round draft picks it cost us.

As I’ve said before that’s not rolling the dice, it was Russian roulette …

Russian Roulette = no chance of winning, there’s only the chances of losing or avoiding losing.
Roiling Dice = there is a chance of winning, and a chance of losing.

That we made it to a prelim in 2019 and a semi in 2020 with key players out including Beams does indicate that we were in with a chance of winning?

… and nothing short of incompetent governance.

By any measure (on field performances in recent years, money in the bank, membership, attendance) we’d be top four or five performing clubs in the league. Sure, we want to be number 1, but some of us simply don’t believe the way to get there is by burning the whole joint down and starting again.

McGuire has payed the price for it .

… as has Leeds, Camplin, McMullin, Waitslitz, Pert, Walsh, Guy, Buckley …

… Exactly how many people do you think need to “pay” for this?

korda was behind everything ...i think he's qanon too

I have credible information that Korda and Syndrome have never been seen in the same room.

Syndrome.png

How ironic the Korda cronies …

For the record …

… I‘ve generally kept an open mind about the EGM and the dissolving of the board. The reason I engage with folks with your point of view is that I really want to understand the arguments in favour of the EGM and dissolving the board. If somebody can articulate a compelling argument why an EGM is necessary and an AGM won’t do, and why a full board spill is required, then I could be convinced. But nobody seems to be able to put forward any cogent arguments that can’t be easily refuted.

FWIW, the most compelling argument IMO (and I haven’t seen anybody make it) is that the club under the new board has not clearly articulated (or reinforced) what the club stands for, or what our identity is. I’m a bit disappointed by that … but it’s still early days. IMO it’s only worth thinking about dissolving the current board if there is an alternative that looks to be able to provide that without destroying the joint in the process (a ‘la new Magpies)

Last edited:
yes...i need a group of business people to tell me what a club that I've supported since i was a small child, stands for. I need to hear it articulated by people who have lot of "things" and cash. I need to hear their plan for the club too. I probably need to be told how I should feel about the club too.

Everybody seems to agree that Korda has all the personality of a wet fish. He has only been on the job for a few months. He is not a cult of personality game show host like the last bloke was.

I don’t see any Korda cheerleaders. I just see some folks who think it’s refreshing to have a President who seems to know nothing about footy and who is happy to delegate footy decisions to people who do. I see some folks who think it was time for Buckley to move on, and are glad the decision was made. And I see some folks who accept that Korda is our best option for President until there is a viable alternative (and despite all the rhetoric around Browne, they’ve heard nothing from him that would indicate he could or would make the joint any better or worse)
My preference was Murphy, but unfortunately he didn't have the numbers on the board. That said I'm prepared to give Korda a go. While I like that he's delegating things he hasn't yet sold me. Unless he can change the way he comes across I think that's always going to be an issue especially in the wake of McGuire and Buckley who had great charisma.

Will he ever be able to attract further support from the membership base and rally those who critique the club; will be able to influence and discourage those who will inevitably want to claim power either through a board seat or presidency; will he be able to effectively sell his achievements. If he can't do those three things well it's difficult to see stability.

By December's AGM we should have a better idea and I hope Korda's given the clean air and opportunity to assert himself in the meantime.

yes...i need a group of business people to tell me what a club that I've supported since i was a small child, stands for. I need to hear it articulated by people who have lot of "things" and cash. I need to hear their plan for the club too. I probably need to be told how I should feel about the club too.

C’mon, it’s not hard.

“We want to be a powerful club, winning Premierships, financially strong, inclusive ... and not be a bunch of racist sexist troglodytes”

The reason I want them to tell me this, is NOT because I want to know what the club is or where it has been - I know that ‘cause like you I’ve been following the club since a kid ...

... the reason I wanna hear this is because I wanna check in that the board is aligned with the same values I expect ...

... ‘cause if they’re not aligned then I will join in with my fellow Collingwood brethren to call for EGM’s, to sack boards, and to tear the entire edifice down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C’mon, it’s not hard.

“We want to be a powerful club, winning Premierships, financially strong, inclusive ... and not be a bunch of racist sexist troglodytes”

The reason I want them to tell me this, is NOT because I want to know what the club is or where it has been - I know that ‘cause like you I’ve been following the club since a kid ...

... the reason I wanna hear this is because I wanna check in that the board is aligned with the same values I expect ...

... ‘cause if they’re not aligned then I will join in with my fellow Collingwood brethren to call for EGM’s, to sack boards, and to tear the entire edifice down.

when was the last time you heard a saleman tell you that you were buying the best product on the market.... these people are in business. They gather experts around them to assemble all the things that they should say.....and then they feed the chooks..

how many times did we hear from eddie that he learnt a lesson and then he put his mouth into gear without the brakes on? To quote that often used phrase, talk is cheap. I dont need to be told that the president is going to run the club so that it's powerful. I want to see him do it. I dont want to see any mistakes or he is out. We have others on the board who can do his job. And we should be looking to improve the talent pool..just like the footy side. Eddie has left as virtual wasteland in leadership at executive level. Alex Waislitz left after 20 years and in the end, all we knew about him was that he didnt like board meetings, he had a ton of money and he likes to party. Korda is in a similar boat.

as you probably know, I've been an advocate for moving on the dead weight on the board for number of years..... I used to run whole threads on the issue with very little response from most posters on here. Suddenly a bunch of people are irate about the board stopping things that eddie was overseeing...as if that was ever going to be possible. It was the members who put their faith in eddie. They wanted him to run the show. To claim that a board member like korda should have confronted eddie on his plans for the salary cap etc is nonsense.

And then you hear that Korda shouldnt have had a pow wow with his fellow board members to persuade eddie to walk....

we know the board was run by eddie. He set the damn thing up to meet the requirements of the takeover in 99. If they needed 20 people on the board, eddie woudl have found them. If they needed a headless chook, he would have found one to stick on the board so he could run it. It was his vision to run it like he did. That was it's strength and that was it's major weakness....as has been proven over the last year.

To blame korda for loading the future salary cap is like blaming a bystander at an accident.

From what i can see korda isnt a media performer and probably got caught like a deer in the headlight by saying what he shouldnt have said in the first weeks after he became president. However, he has decentralised decision-making and that is a real plus. People have complained that he wasn't in places when they were used to seeing eddie, and that he was in places where he looked out of place because he wasnt eddie. I couldnt care less if we saw him dressed up as dean laidley as long as he is doing the right things.

Evidently he asked GW to investigate whether buckley should continue as coach. The answer was no, supposedly based on good reasons, and not that the hoards were at the gates of the holden centre. Time will prove whether that decision is right. However, I support the methodology that was used to arrive at that decision. I dont want fat guys in suits making decisions on coaches unless they know what it takes to coach. At this point, we're relying a lot on the skills and experience of GW...with some help from others at the club. Let's hope theyre right. In fact, they hold far more important positions than the president's, at least as it rates to winning a premiership.

So ironically, I'm not too fussed if korda is moved on, even though I was advocating for him to be booted a few years ago. At least I know Korda will delegate. I have no idea whether browne will do another eddie mark 2, and run the show like his own personal hobby.

I'd like to thank Mark Robinson for his assistance in this rant....

My preference was Murphy, but unfortunately he didn't have the numbers on the board. That said I'm prepared to give Korda a go. While I like that he's delegating things he hasn't yet sold me. Unless he can change the way he comes across I think that's always going to be an issue especially in the wake of McGuire and Buckley who had great charisma.

Will he ever be able to attract further support from the membership base and rally those who critique the club; will be able to influence and discourage those who will inevitably want to claim power either through a board seat or presidency; will he be able to effectively sell his achievements. If he can't do those three things well it's difficult to see stability.

By December's AGM we should have a better idea and I hope Korda's given the clean air and opportunity to assert himself in the meantime.

Will he ever be able to attract further support from the membership base - a premiership gets more members than 20 eddies..

and rally those who critique the club - some people are born to whinge. its in their dna

will be able to influence and discourage those who will inevitably want to claim power either through a board seat or presidency - see answer to first point

will he be able to effectively sell his achievements - a premiership sells itself

You raise strong points 76. These are the views I have and you ask why now on Korda, well as a life-long supporter I am hurting from the events of the last 6 months and since probably the late 90s, I am embarrassed by our club for the first time. Whose fault all these issues are, I'm not exactly sure, but I'm not entirely comfortable with how legends of the club have been treated.

Should Eddie have left? Most would say yes, and I won't argue to the contrary. What I was disappointed about was that he had announced he was leaving at the end of this year (pushed into that decision if you believe some journos) and yet because of a press conference where he used the word 'proud' (on a report that no other club would undertake) in a context where most, if not all, would have have known what he meant, he was then forced to resign. Clearly he was not proud of the contents of the report, but proud that as a club we were hopefully putting that behind us and addressing the long-standing issues. A strong supportive board would have defended him and allowed him to leave at the end of the year with dignity, not with tears.

With regards to Nathan Buckley, again according to some journos that turned into a political decision to stave off Browne. I don't know if that is true, I'd hope not, but again to have somebody who's coached us to finals in the last 3 years, have a bad start to the season off the back of a president being forced to resign, having to tell 3 players they weren't wanted and then blooding youngsters and say he's not doing a good job leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. What's worse in my eyes, to not let him either coach out the year (or 1 more Melb game), which he offered and enable supporters a chance to say goodbye is disrespectful. The excuse that they didn't want to go behind his back interviewing is rubbish given they had already said to him he wouldn't be coaching. If it was a bitter Malthouse, then no it wouldn't be workable, but with a selfless Buckley this would have been.

Nobody is doubting to push the salary cap to its boundaries in the name of contending but how it can get to the point of where we got to this year is disgraceful. I mean Richmond win flags and lose peripheral players like Ellis and Markov but have brought in Lynch. Geelong contend and still bring in Cameron. Why we continually overpay (and we did again with Grundy) and cannot manage the cap I'll never know. Maybe Wright will ensure we don't do this again. So if Eddie is ultimately responsible for this, then so should others be accountable who were privy to this information and allowed it to get to this point. Korda included.

After all this, we somehow manage to put Eddies 2IC as president irrespective of everything that has occurred (report included). That's what grates me. He looked foolish trying to get Bucks to sign his match day pass and looked stupid waving to the camera crew from his car as he left after Buckleys press conference. That Bridie O'Donnell fiasco is also amateur and laughable while Korda introducing Licuria as a 2010 premiership player then correcting himself (after being told) and calling him a '2003 GF player' is cringe-worthy.

And then to have him write an article in the Herald Sun calling for unity, have directors come out and try and save their skins, in Sizers radio interview where she calls Browne powerful and privileged (I mean she is happy to serve under Korda but what is he?) and Licuria's newspaper interviews on how he wasn't to blame for Eddie finishing up is further evidence of embarrassment. So yes I don't really know what Browne will bring but I am not confident in the slightest that this board is doing the right thing by Collingwood, for Collingwood. I know Graham Wright will find the best available coach out there (excluding Buckley of course) but as for the board, I personally want an earlier vote so they (as well as Browne's ticket) put all before voters on what they will do before they make any more ill-informed decisions.

So that's where I sit on this. I didn't want the club brought to its knees but we're there already now.

Korda should go for any number of reasons:
Long serving Board member who must have known of our salary cap issues long before they publicly surfaced
Respected businessman whose company forensically examines the balance sheets of ailing companies, but forgot to apply scrutiny to his club
Desperately wanted to be president despite Peter Murphy putting his name forward. Couldn't see that Murphy, who had the respect of the footy world for his searching review of the club in 2017, would be a better fit.
For the sake of retaining presidency, torpedoed a favourite son. Obviously Bucks is not a fan if Monday is any indication.
Not to mention Eddie being pushed.

If Korda stepped down in favour of Murphy, it would essentially solve the issue. The Board stays until the AGM and Browne is effectively beheaded.

I think it would be a good outcome for Korda to step down and Murphy to step in. I feel that ship has sailed though. I think in some respects you're judging Korda unfairly, particularly re: Bucks because that was Wrights call (with Licuria, Murphy and Anderson) + salary cap (not his bag), but I appreciate where you're coming from. I reckon Korda has weathered the storm.

Last edited:
C’mon, it’s not hard.

I feel like that would just be a box-ticking exercise and not revealing in any way.

I would like to hear what they’ve learned since most of them came in in 2018 or so. That would tell me if they’re Bayesian or whether they’re just self-important, power hungry w***ers.

Will he ever be able to attract further support from the membership base - a premiership gets more members than 20 eddies..

and rally those who critique the club - some people are born to whinge. its in their dna

will be able to influence and discourage those who will inevitably want to claim power either through a board seat or presidency - see answer to first point

will he be able to effectively sell his achievements - a premiership sells itself
While a premiership would be an instant hit it’s a big ask and it one that doesn’t align with the time Korda has to make his mark. We’re probably 3 years away from contending and Korda won’t make that unless there’s something else to hang his hat on in the meantime.

As a comparison it took McGuire over a decade to get his first flag, but he was able to rebuild financial health and relocate to fancy new facilities amongst other things as big ticket items to carry him through.

While a premiership would be an instant hit it’s a big ask and it one that doesn’t align with the time Korda has to make his mark. We’re probably 3 years away from contending and Korda won’t make that unless there’s something else to hang his hat on in the meantime.

As a comparison it took McGuire over a decade to get his first flag, but he was able to rebuild financial health and relocate to fancy new facilities amongst other things as big ticket items to carry him through.

You make a good point, but I would argue that if we make progress, premierships will be enough for anyone with a grumble. I could probably put up with Mumbles as our president if we're winning. I certainly feel that way. If we're down the bottom of the table, I'd probably vote for margot robbie as president against someone useless in a suit, just to make press conferences more palatable, but i'd ditch her in an instant for a president who could select the right people to win a premiership. But you're right. I'd stick with Margot for longer if she also appeared competent and Korda has had a shaky start.

Ross Lyon sacked in 2019 - CEO was answering Qs by himself, Ross had a separate interview. No president.

interesting long story about fremantle...which is owned by the WA footy commission and has a chairman dale alcock who runs a building company has spoken about footy things a lot more than previous chairmans.

current ceo is a former player who took over from guy called rosich who ran the club with ross lyon.....until ross was forced to take on a couple of former hawk players as coaches to make his team more attacking. He didnt really appreciate it.

Ross got the boot by Rosich as above and then Rosich got the boot.

And in the meantime Peter Bell came in as footy manager and had a big say in things...

A lot more voices and a completely different environment......and yes the chairman would never have appeared with Lyon when he got the boot.

Ross Lyon sacked in 2019 - CEO was answering Qs by himself, Ross had a separate interview. No president.
I've honestly never understood why sacked/outgoing coaches engage in these press conferences in the AFL. It's cringeworthy.

In the English Premier League, a club releases a statement on its website saying a coach is departing and they wish the person well. There's no fanfare or hoohah as there is in the AFL.

I've honestly never understood why sacked/outgoing coaches engage in these press conferences in the AFL. It's cringeworthy.

In the English Premier League, a club releases a statement on its website saying a coach is departing and they wish the person well. There's no fanfare or hoohah as there is in the AFL.

It may have to do with the fact that they change coaches at the drop of a hat...

or it may have to do with the fact that the club isnt a club, it's a private corporation owned by various millionaires and billionaires. They dont have press conferences for changing over CEOs at Rio Tinto or Phillip Morris

Back