Summer Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

Discussion in 'The Games: Olympic, Commonwealth, and more' started by Seedsfan, Aug 15, 2014.

Put it out there
?

Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    63.5%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    36.5%
  1. Seedsfan

Seedsfan Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Brisbane Heat, Collingwood VFL
    What a joke

Bomberboyokay and Bumpswithagrin like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Lynton Martin

Lynton Martin Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Stars, Melbourne Vixens,
    its going to be in shepparton, bendigo, ballarat, geelong, traralgon and other places

3. Bumpswithagrin

Bumpswithagrin Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur San Antonio Spurs
    A sure sign that the competition is on its last legs if you ask me.

Bomberboyokay likes this.
  4. Heisenberg_

Heisenberg_ Moderator

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Would be good for the area, I hope they get it

5. Babylove

Babylove Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Collingwood
    I can't speak to the other regions involved but having previously worked in tourism development in Shepparton for a number of years they do have a highly developed events market hosting national quality events (including national championships) in a number of sports including regularly hostingcycling, bmx, bowls, triathlon, half ironman.

I know most city slickers (including politicians) can't see beyond their concrete jungles but the regional areas in Victoria have a lot to offer. Just because it's different doesn't make it bad.

Milera2Betts likes this.
  6. Bomberboyokay

Bomberboyokay Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Victory, West Ham, Mets, Roosters
    If they can convince the Victorian and federal governments to pay for it all, it might actually happen. Not many places really trying for the Commonwealth Games.

Bumpswithagrin likes this.
  7. Bumpswithagrin

Bumpswithagrin Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur San Antonio Spurs
    The last Commonwealth Games held in Melbourne they had some events in regional areas, Bendigo had the shooting for example. If it works for the regional areas go for it. I can see why Melbourne as such wouldn't want to hoist it again as it is not long since the last time. For all it's pros it's very disruptive to traffic, other sports events etc. so I can see why no place would want to do it too frequently. The fact that they are struggling to get nominations though is telling.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. Seedsfan

Seedsfan Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Brisbane Heat, Collingwood VFL
    It is a terrible idea, why waste money building a 40k seat stadium in a town of 30k makes ******* sense. You have hosted D grade events you mention bowls FFS

9. Babylove

Babylove Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Collingwood
    I would just like to point out Bendigo, Ballarat & Geelong are around or over 100k in population. The Greater Shepparton region has over 60k (Not to mention another 45k in the neighbouring Moira & Benella shire regions which are no farther away than east to west Melbourne). The Mildura region is over 50k, Albury/Wodonga over 80k etc. There is in fact there is approx 1.5 million people in regional Victoria all of which would be within 1 hour of at least one of the proposed participating regional centres.

Also international and national events (including the Australian Bowls Championships) are never "D grade" as you put it.

Like I said just because it is different doesn't make it bad.

10. Moody Blue

Moody Blue Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Instead of spending a couple of billion dollars on a white elephant, how about developing a fast train project that will make regional centres accessible and allow families to be able to live in regional areas and work in the city and only spend 30 minutes on the train.. We desperately need to upgrade our antiquated transport system and provide people with the opportunity of owning their own property.

BulldogJake likes this.
  11. BulldogJake

BulldogJake Team Captain

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Victory, Philly Sports
    Australia has always lacked forward direction when it comes to rail transport. Too much bureaucracy and doesn't look like changing anytime soon. It's a shame really, even America is building fast rail...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Roogal

Roogal Debutant

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I don't think that Melbourne or Australia for that matter should bid again for a long, long time. Even with its existing facilities Melbourne would still need to spend billions upgrading and building venues for a one-off party for 15,000 freeloaders. Then there's the security bill, and the fact the billions would largely be spent around the inner city at the expense of the outer suburbs and regional areas where infrastructure is already struggling and not keeping pace with Melbourne’s growth. Melbourne, quite frankly has so many other things that it desperately needs to spend $5 billion on in order to cope with its growing population today, not to mention the fact that its population will top 6 million by 2030. An Olympic Games would be an absolute frevolity.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 7:19 PM