Opinion Should Melbourne have made a play for <insert player here>

Remove this Banner Ad

jack son 5

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2011
melb
AFL Club
Melbourne
Half way through the season the MFC made a statement that they were not in the race for Dion.

After what seemed like a two year chase to land the midfielder, the club was pretty adamant this year he wasn't being poached. Can't help but think the Dee's could've landed him if the contract was right.

I understand the club has other needs around the ground and that mids (inside) are a plenty at Melbourne. Where does the Fyfe calls for hogan come into play then. The 2017 first rounder could have been used along with a player. Having Prestia would have strengthened the depth in the midfield and given Melbourne stronger advantage for future trading with their kids. It's working well for GWS who keep a strong stockpile of young guns who can be traded back for high picks.

And now the poor bastard has to go to Richmond.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He's an inside mid who I wouldn't have said is that much (if at all) better than most of the cattle we have already. And he's apparently stuck a big price on his head. I just think over paying for a good inside mid would upset the troops we have.

Fyfe is a different story. He's a ready made superstar, not one that has to be developed and assembled with the unpredictability of IKEA furniture. I don't think we are the kind of club who tops up talent yet, we're going to have to be like the Dogs and develop our own.

I think we were after him last year and he said 'no' as he wanted to see out his contract at Gold Coast first.

Then fast forward 12 months and players like Oliver, Viney and Tyson have come on leaps and bounds and we no longer need him

Half way through the season the MFC made a statement that they were not in the race for Dion.

After what seemed like a two year chase to land the midfielder, the club was pretty adamant this year he wasn't being poached. Can't help but think the Dee's could've landed him if the contract was right.

I understand the club has other needs around the ground and that mids (inside) are a plenty at Melbourne. Where does the Fyfe calls for hogan come into play then. The 2017 first rounder could have been used along with a player. Having Prestia would have strengthened the depth in the midfield and given Melbourne stronger advantage for future trading with their kids. It's working well for GWS who keep a strong stockpile of young guns who can be traded back for high picks.

And now the poor bastard has to go to Richmond.

Of our younger guys Viney, Petracca, Oliver will all be better inside mids than Prestia. Dom Tyson is also a gun inside and we have others for depth.

Brayshaw, Harmes, Salem, Trengrove, Bugg all capable of winning inside ball through the midfield.

If we are going to have a crack at A grade players we need outside speed for run and carry and game breaking foot skills.

I am glad Melbourne did not look at recruiting him, I think the last part of the team that needs additional/top up players is the mid-field be it inside or out.

For myself I would not say no to an upset Lynch or May from the Gold Coast if they wanted to move :)

Yes, yes we should have. Guy is a gun, prior to injury looked on his way to becoming a genuine a-grader. Is also a great leader from all reports, something we have been sorely lacking.

His kicking is not as bad as people make out, and our promising mids everyone talks about are still really young

Could never have enough good midfielders IMO. But agree with most comments that say we have many similar players as Prestia atm. Would much rather we throw $ at a player who has a bit more pace and class. Prestia has a little of both, but not enough to warrant what we need and what we would have to give up. I wouldn't say no to him, but I'd be reluctant to give up much..

I was keen on him a year or two ago when we chased him but without sounding like we are absolutely flushed with talent, I think I much prefer to go with the talented list of young inside mids we currently have rather than paying him what he would be after to stunt the development of one of these guys.
Carries a bit of risk through injury too and he didn't want to come when we were right into him so f*** him IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its like that average chick you keep knocking back, but then you hit a dry spell and they look good and they tell you to bugger off

Youre better off having a wank. Some chick you have no actual interest in and sex for the sake of sex always leads to trouble, trust me young men, just have a tug, you will thank me a month down the track.

If you must, dont do it at your place of residence or leave your phone number. Women that say "im fine with us just having sex" arent at all.

Anyway, thats enough advice from fabio, bringing it back to topic: we are better off with the mids on our list.

Last edited:
Youre better off having a wank. Some chick you have no actual interest in and sex for the sake of sex always leads to trouble, trust me young men, just have a tug, you will thank me a month down the track.

If you must, dont do it at your place of residence or leave your phone number. Women that say "im fine with us just having sex" arent at all.

Anyway, thats enough advice from fabio, bringing it back to topic: we are better off with the mids on our list.

Sounds like you've got a few stories about crazy girls called Tiffany...

I'm going to say the same thing i said to dr whooooo when he said wines was coming home. We have a trade thread for discussion like this

You're lumping me in with that clown, jeez I despise you;)
Don't worry. Your thread has a point of difference because it's more of a not trade thread than a trade thread.

I think we should have gone harder after Danger. Bought him a suit to surf in at least and cooked him a lasagne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back