Religion Should parents baptise their kids or let them decide?

Gameova_

Formerly 'northmelbournefc'
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Parents should be able to baptize. What does a person lose it they end up not believing in God anyway? Nothing was just a bit of water.

I was circumcised as a child and I'm glad my parents did it. That's probably a better question to ask.

HARKER

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Parents should be able to baptize. What does a person lose it they end up not believing in God anyway? Nothing was just a bit of water.

I was circumcised as a child and I'm glad my parents did it. That's probably a better question to ask.
That just depends on your principles.

I didn't baptise my child even though there was heavy pressure to do so.
I didn't force my kid to barrack for a team that I happened to barrack for.
I did my best to not to impose any of my views upon another being and especially one with a growing mind

.......so I guess it all depends on the standards you choose to adopt......and I'm happy to say I've been thanked for it many times over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

western royboy

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Indoctrination is a crime - without it the majority of religions would cease - Catholicism is an evil cult reliant on its education system for survival and virtual demand that prospective students be baptised. Without that it would already be almost defunct or on life suppor.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Indoctrination is a crime - without it the majority of religions would cease - Catholicism is an evil cult reliant on its education system for survival and virtual demand that prospective students be baptised. Without that it would already be almost defunct or on life suppor.
I was reading up on some family history. I have the rather unusual scenario of having one grandparent who was Catholic and one who was Orthodox. On the surface, that doesn't sound too unusual until you factor, they were from Serbia. My grandfather was a POW of the Germans - my grandmother was sent to a concentration camp. Anyways it made me read up on the actions of the ultra-facist Ustase. Some of the absolute worst atrocities of WW2 (including a death camp for children) was established by the Ustase - with the cooperation of the Catholic Church. There were of course, dissenters but it is clear the Pope Pius supported the fascist movement.

Of course, history often repeats itself and in the 1990s is the was the Orthodox persecution of Catholics, Muslims, etc that helped set off the Croatian war. There are ultra-fascist groups like Serbian Action advocating for exactly the same thing the Ustase did - except they push Orthodoxy rather than Catholicism. It drives me nuts.

Just illustrates how ridiculous religion is. People worship the same invisible man in the sky and will kill and commit atrocities of the worst kind because others don't worship in the "correct way".

Brick Loosener

1980 ? 2017 ? 2019 ?
Jan 8, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
There's like a billion of the buggers running around world wide.
Doubt you'll see the back of them during your life time.

GetDimmaBack

BigFooty Librarian
Mar 30, 2008
Gippsland via Braybrook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Sunderland, Phillip Island Dogs
Getting back to the essence of the topic, there are many Protestant denominations who baptize infants pretty much as a "safeguard" against the perceived spiritual consequences of an unexpected death. I think the Catholic Church does the same.

Others, e.g. Baptists and Churches of Christ, do only 'the baptism of believers', and that takes place only when a believer asks to be baptised.

Fair enough, if parents are believers, to want to protect the spiritual destiny of one's children, but surely it becomes more meaningful if baptism is the believer's choice.

kickazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the better question to be asked, for Catholics anyway, is around the sacrament of Confirmation and at what age it should happen.

I think the notion of parents deciding to baptise their infants is fine - I mean, parents make innumerable decisions on behalf of their children all the time, why should this be any different?

But Confirmation, for those who don't know, is the Catholic sacrament whereby someone who is already baptised "confirms" their faith. The idea being that yeah, you didn't really have a say at your baptism, so instead of having godparents renounce Satan and his empty promises on your behalf, you actually do it for yourself.

All great in theory, but most people do confirmation when they are around grade 6, still very impressionable and not that independent. Perhaps it should be moved to when you are an adult.

Geelong_Sicko

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually unbaptised souls go to Limbo - I think purgatory is like a half way between heaven and hell for cases where it isn't immediately obvious where you belong!
Thanks for that. I always think purgatory and Limbo are the same thing!

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not to go in too hard, but what is this thread? The title asks a non question, then the OP is a post that isn't really connected to it, instead making a surface level observation with no argument. This feels like the worlds lowest energy troll, or some religious nut sock puppet.

But no. Its not real and it doesn't matter. An argument for circumcision can be made as it has lifelong ramifications, but not giving a kid a public bath. There are 0 ethical ramifications here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom