Analysis Should players salaries be made public?

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe the next step to improving equalisation is to ensure every players salary is made public.

This will allow other teams to see who is being paid well below market rate along with the players knowing how they are rated internally which would allow more movement to teams willing to pay them more

This also helps with the integrity of the salary cap as we can see exactly how clubs are managing the cap to ensure no funny business

What are the downsides?

No. It's their own personal information, they already cop it enough from fans, this would be adding fuel to the fire.

Scouts, recruiters, list managers would have this sort of information covered.
Seems to work for other sports around the world

If they can’t cop criticism then don’t play

Would definitely create some excellent, feel good stories, i.e. club legends taking significant cuts at the end of their careers, etc.

But no doubt would carry some negatives, like the players performing well below their pay rate. They'd be criticised to no end.

Players aren't being paid with public money. Players deserve to have their salary kept secret as private citizens.

Maybe if your tax dollars were paying their salary you would have a case. Otherwise it just seems unnecessarily nosey, while hiding behind a veneer of "maintaining salary cap integrity."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So? If won't tell all your salary I see no reasoning that would force players to have to lost there's to the public either.

I'm on topic. Just because you don't like how the discussion is turning doesn't change that.
Professional sports person being the topic

Which is published in many other sports they are one of the few professions like this and the afl is behind the ball here

why are the AFL behind the ball? Just because other sports have their salaries public doesn't mean the AFL have to. The vast majority of sports in Australia don't have their salaries made public.

why do supporters need to know?

whats the benefit of you knowing a players salary?

why are the AFL behind the ball? Just because other sports have their salaries public doesn't mean the AFL have to. The vast majority of sports in Australia don't have their salaries made public.

why do supporters need to know?

whats the benefit of you knowing a players salary?
The benefit for clubs is knowing who to poach by having that data publicly available

Will also allow players to know where they sit internally which could trigger more movement to get cash essentially spreading good players over more teams

The benefit for clubs is knowing who to poach by having that data publicly available

Will also allow players to know where they sit internally which could trigger more movement to get cash essentially spreading good players over more teams

Every club & player manager would be well aware of what players are on.

Making the salaries public will add no benefit to player movement, its a ridiculous notion.

The people that need to know (list managers, player managers ect) do know. There is no need to make the salaries public.

Every club & player manager would be well aware of what players are on.

Making the salaries public will add no benefit to player movement, its a ridiculous notion.

The people that need to know (list managers, player managers ect) do know. There is no need to make the salaries public.
They would have an idea but wouldn’t know every player 100%
Along with how clubs are front ending or backending deals

And again I also want it public so all players know to stimulate movement to spread talent. Their agents aren’t going to tell them player x is earning this compared to you especially players they also manage

Disagree.

No need to publish someone's salary.

And unless you are willing to post yours it's a double standard.
Again I’m not asking joe blow from some random company to tell me his

I’m asking professional sports people to which is done over the world and works

I’m not asking for something completely untried to be put in place

Again I’m not asking joe blow from some random company to tell me his

I’m asking professional sports people to which is done over the world and works

I’m not asking for something completely untried to be put in place

And that's the issue. A lot of players are just joe blow.

To them it's a job, a dream one yes, but a job like yours. Not wanting your salary posted then don't demand someone else's.

The people who need to know know. That's all that matters.

Just because other sports do it doesn't make it right.

And that's the issue. A lot of players are just joe blow.

To them it's a job, a dream one yes, but a job like yours. Not wanting your salary posted then don't demand someone else's.

The people who need to know know. That's all that matters.

Just because other sports do it doesn't make it right.
You are missing the point in regards to relaying a sports person to a random joe blow

It’s not related, and doesn’t prove anything that a random person not wanting their salary published to this.

Relate it back to the industry those players probably don’t want it posted also but the leagues around the world make it compulsory and if you aren’t happy with it then don’t play

Don't agree with it being public

Using Tom Boyd as an example. He stated the pressure of his $1mil per season deal was a factor of his mental health deteriorating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back