Analysis Should players salaries be made public?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are missing the point in regards to relaying a sports person to a random joe blow

It’s not related, and doesn’t prove anything that a random person not wanting their salary published to this.

Relate it back to the industry those players probably don’t want it posted also but the leagues around the world make it compulsory and if you aren’t happy with it then don’t play

I'm not missing any point. You want to know someone's paypacket as a discussion starter, or as an excuse.

They ARE normal people, so post yours and I will possibly support your efforts.
With evidence off course. Anyone can post a number

Well the rules are we don't post them as it's not relevant to anyone besides the people who already know.

Its nice other countries do it. Other countries also do a lot of things I hope our nation never does.

I'm not missing any point. You want to know someone's paypacket as a discussion starter, or as an excuse.

They ARE normal people, so post yours and I will possibly support your efforts.
With evidence off course. Anyone can post a number

Well the rules are we don't post them as it's not relevant to anyone besides the people who already know.

Its nice other countries do it. Other countries also do a lot of things I hope our nation never does.
Nope still missing the point mine or your salary has zero relevance to this

If my company made it public compulsory for everyone in the companies salary then that’s that

Leagues across the world do so and is not out of the ordinary here

Nope still missing the point mine or your salary has zero relevance to this

If my company made it public compulsory for everyone in the companies salary then that’s that

Leagues across the world do so and is not out of the ordinary here

I know what your point is and i think its ridiculous to ask someone to post their salary when you wont post yours.

I couldn't care less about what other countries do. Just because it's done elsewhere doesn't make it right.

I disagree with the AFL making that change and I'm fairly certain the Players Association would agree.

I know what your point is and i think its ridiculous to ask someone to post their salary when you wont post yours.

I couldn't care less about what other countries do. Just because it's done elsewhere doesn't make it right.

I disagree with the AFL making that change and I'm fairly certain the Players Association would agree.
Again I’m not asking 1 individual like yourself or me to post their salary I’m saying the entire afl industry has their salary public like other sports

The AFL operates under Australian workplace law and within the Australian culture and context. What American sports do in an American context, culture and under their law is not comparable.

Are any privately negotiated salaries in Australia published publicly?

And if you think you have a right to know what players earn at the club you’re a member of, why do you need to know that? Do you also want to know what the marketing person earns and the HR person? There’s a salary cap in place so it’s not like you need to know for accountability reasons.

If we’re going to have transparency in the AFL, publishing salary data is not the only thing they would need to look at, and wouldn’t be the first thing I’d look at either. Fairly low on the priorities I would think.

What I wouldn’t mind in this sense though is perhaps some de-identified information about salaries in the AFL. How many players earn over a million? How much do most players earn? How it relates to trade and drafting too, free agency compensation etc. Being in the top 10 at your club can decide whether you’re a restricted or unrestricted free agent, but depending on how the cap is structured at the club that could be a completely different threshold from one club to the next.

The AFL operates under Australian workplace law and within the Australian culture and context. What American sports do in an American context, culture and under their law is not comparable.

Are any privately negotiated salaries in Australia published publicly?

And if you think you have a right to know what players earn at the club you’re a member of, why do you need to know that? Do you also want to know what the marketing person earns and the HR person? There’s a salary cap in place so it’s not like you need to know for accountability reasons.

If we’re going to have transparency in the AFL, publishing salary data is not the only thing they would need to look at, and wouldn’t be the first thing I’d look at either. Fairly low on the priorities I would think.

What I wouldn’t mind in this sense though is perhaps some de-identified information about salaries in the AFL. How many players earn over a million? How much do most players earn? How it relates to trade and drafting too, free agency compensation etc. Being in the top 10 at your club can decide whether you’re a restricted or unrestricted free agent, but depending on how the cap is structured at the club that could be a completely different threshold from one club to the next.
Sure the whole afl industry if it ensures fairness

Just like if my company were to do it, I expect everyone in the company to be public for it to be fair

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-06/six-milliondollar-men-as-player-salaries-go-up-again

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/player-payments-revealed-millionaires-on-the-up

That sort of info is generally released every year.

Football fans really seem to have a strong sense of entitlement to what players 'owe' them.

Want their salary made public. Want restrictions on their movement so they can't leave clubs.

Seems to work for other sports around the world

If they can’t cop criticism then don’t play

This argument of "don't like it, then don't play!!" is the same stupid argument that comes up every time fans want to intrude on players personal lives.

How about you don't like the rules, don't follow football? If you believe there is 'funny' business going on with the salary cap, stop being interested in the game?

It really is the mark of a moron to say that if a player doesn't want incredibly personal information released publicly under some backwards logic of "it helps clubs and players", they should just simply give up football. What an awesome suggestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the draft and salary cap not American sports ideas? The NBA has had a draft since the 1940s and a salary cap since the mid 1980s. Should we go back to zones and paying transfer fees to SANFL and WAFL clubs?

The AFLPA are happy to push for 'American' influences like free agency but want none of the drawbacks like club initiated trades and public salaries.

IMO it's in the interest of the AFL to publish player salaries (at least in bands) to provide some transparency around player contracts. As it is now clubs just say front/back ending whenever it suits and sign up players to third party deals. A Fyfe, Coniglio, Martin etc. is never going to a bottom 4 club with millions in cap space. Why would they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back