Prediction Should Port Adelaide target Ben Brown in the off season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mortimer85

Senior List
Aug 10, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I could see it. I feel like you could turn Marshall into a backmen and it would solve two problems at once.

Batman-slaps-Robin-high-res.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You wordsmith you.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In fairness, its a pretty s**t thread. We could be more eloquent and say its lacking in quality, but we would be paying a bloke half a million dollars to get in the way of Dixon and allow the ball to walk out of our forward line. Not sure there is a nice way of saying it.

EvansHodges77

Senior List
Dec 14, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In fairness, its a pretty sh*t thread. We could be more eloquent and say its lacking in quality, but we would be paying a bloke half a million dollars to get in the way of Dixon and allow the ball to walk out of our forward line. Not sure there is a nice way of saying it.

Well in my opinion I think there is some validity to the idea, however, it doesn’t mean I’m right either.
You say it lacks quality, fair enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United Portland Timbers
On a serious note I think Ben Brown is a pretty good old fashioned full forward.
Good mark on a lead and an accurate kick.
However his lack of defensive attributes just don't fit in with our games style.
Added to the fact we have a couple of good young developing forwards it's hard to see a place for him.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well I'm joining the minority on this one. Has to be at the right price but he's a big upgrade on Wylie Buzza. A back up for Dixon (and to a lesser extent our other KPFs) and would be great in that role.

If he needs a big contract and a guaranteed best 22 spot, then that would be much harder to justify, but we don't really know where Norf is at with him. Is the whole "we're going to entertain a trade" genuine, or is it an attempt to keep some value?

You wouldn't go hard, but "you'd pick up the phone"....

(note: just realised Ben Brown is 27 which makes this far less likely, I'd thought he was around the 29/30 mark)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Well I'm joining the minority on this one. Has to be at the right price but he's a big upgrade on Wylie Buzza. A back up for Dixon (and to a lesser extent our other KPFs) and would be great in that role.

If he needs a big contract and a guaranteed best 22 spot, then that would be much harder to justify, but we don't really know where Norf is at with him. Is the whole "we're going to entertain a trade" genuine, or is it an attempt to keep some value?

You wouldn't go hard, but "you'd pick up the phone"....

(note: just realised Ben Brown is 27 which makes this far less likely, I'd thought he was around the 29/30 mark)

For starters Ben Brown is not going to come to Port to be anyone's back up when he can go the a Melbourne club and get a game full time. The fact that he has hung around North Melbourne for so long shows that he is prepared to accept mediocrity.

Brown is no slouch as up until 2020 he booted 60+ goals three seasons in a row. On that basis he will have a couple of suitors among the Melbourne clubs. St Kilda has been mentioned along with Essendon. Apparently St Kilda are looking to pair him with Ben King and Essendon may want a marking forward to replace Joe Dahiher should he decide to go. I can see Brown finishing at either of those sides before Port.

I reckon we would be better off recruiting a 200cm defender than a 200cm forward at this stage.

The other point is Brown is not a free agent and we are not exactly rich in draft picks this year and would possibly have to chuck a player into any deal.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For starters Ben Brown is not going to come to Port to be anyone's back up when he can go the a Melbourne club and get a game full time. The fact that he has hung around North Melbourne for so long shows that he is prepared to accept mediocrity.

Brown is no slouch as up until 2020 he booted 60+ goals three seasons in a row. On that basis he will have a couple of suitors among the Melbourne clubs. St Kilda has been mentioned along with Essendon. Apparently St Kilda are looking to pair him with Ben King and Essendon may want a marking forward to replace Joe Dahiher should he decide to go. I can see Brown finishing at either of those sides before Port.

I reckon we would be better off recruiting a 200cm defender than a 200cm forward at this stage.

The other point is Brown is not a free agent and we are not exactly rich in draft picks this year and would possibly have to chuck a player into any deal.

Yep I agree with all of this. This is what I mean by "picking up the phone" though. If it comes down to needing draft picks or a player we want to keep then you say thank you no thank you.

If he has better offers you leave him be, but for the right price, he would be an asset to our overall list - potentially 2-3 years too early to think about it though in a serious sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back