Prediction Should Port Adelaide target Ben Brown in the off season?

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Westhoff, Buzza, Watts, Grundy gone

Whether we look at Brown or otherwise, we have a height problem. I guess we could ask SGray what he's doing next year.

We will definitely recruit talls, mostly defenders, but not overpriced in both trade currency and salary expectations.

Hayes will be in the conversation next year as a forward/ruck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why even start this thread?
* He is not leaving Melbourne and is being courted be Geelong & others, so will go there
* He doesnt fit into our team & system (Davies almost rolled his eyes when asked & said as much)

We need some height, but more in defence, and he just doesnt suit us at all.

We will definitely recruit talls, mostly defenders, but not overpriced in both trade currency and salary expectations.

Hayes will be in the conversation next year as a forward/ruck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We definitely need a KPF

Dixon - not getting younger but at least two years ahead
Ladhams and Hayes - as you highlight Ruck/ forward rather than a dedicated forward
Marshall - He's a talent but he's a westhoff replacement based on what we have seen and ignoring development potential.
Georgie - looks like a brilliant third tall hard man

Definitely need a 195+cm KPD
Leinert - I like him more than most but he does have limitations
Watts and Grundy - gonski
After that - too 190cm to 193cm - Clurey, Mayes, Burton, McKenzie, Jonas
- all great but geez we miss Dougal

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well I'm joining the minority on this one. Has to be at the right price but he's a big upgrade on Wylie Buzza. A back up for Dixon (and to a lesser extent our other KPFs) and would be great in that role.

If he needs a big contract and a guaranteed best 22 spot, then that would be much harder to justify, but we don't really know where Norf is at with him. Is the whole "we're going to entertain a trade" genuine, or is it an attempt to keep some value?

You wouldn't go hard, but "you'd pick up the phone"....

(note: just realised Ben Brown is 27 which makes this far less likely, I'd thought he was around the 29/30 mark)

That's the point - he isn't coming to us to play in the SANFL. He would want 500k+ and he will get it from someone. Anyone that thinks we are going to get a 60+ goal forward to play ressies just because he had a poor year is deluded.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's the point - he isn't coming to us to play in the SANFL. He would want 500k+ and he will get it from someone. Anyone that thinks we are going to get a 60+ goal forward to play ressies just because he had a poor year is deluded.
Yep to be fair I missed his age when i was writing that post. I think my post is more reasonable if he was 31.

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep to be fair I missed his age when i was writing that post. I think my post is more reasonable if he was 31.

heh, NMFC will probably become the new Carlton of the league, being s**t and watching good players they didn't want tear it up for other teams.

Well I'm joining the minority on this one. Has to be at the right price but he's a big upgrade on Wylie Buzza. A back up for Dixon (and to a lesser extent our other KPFs) and would be great in that role.

If he needs a big contract and a guaranteed best 22 spot, then that would be much harder to justify, but we don't really know where Norf is at with him. Is the whole "we're going to entertain a trade" genuine, or is it an attempt to keep some value?

You wouldn't go hard, but "you'd pick up the phone"....

(note: just realised Ben Brown is 27 which makes this far less likely, I'd thought he was around the 29/30 mark)

Again, he kicked 180+ goals in 3 seasons. He kicked more goals than literally anyone over the 2017-2019 season. One poor year for the 17th placed side doesn't suddenly put him into 'upgrade on Buzza if he's willing to play SANFL all year' status.

Like, you're not wrong, but it's pointless to even contemplate. It's like posting 'gee it'd be good if we could get Dusty Martin for a third rounder'. Of course it would be, but it definitely won't happen, so what's the point?

EvansHodges77

Senior List
Dec 14, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Again, he kicked 180+ goals in 3 seasons. He kicked more goals than literally anyone over the 2017-2019 season. One poor year for the 17th placed side doesn't suddenly put him into 'upgrade on Buzza if he's willing to play SANFL all year' status.

Like, you're not wrong, but it's pointless to even contemplate. It's like posting 'gee it'd be good if we could get Dusty Martin for a third rounder'. Of course it would be, but it definitely won't happen, so what's the point?

I understand what your saying.
But would it be that Terrible to play Dixon and Brown in the same team?
I think it’s a touch more realistic than Dusty for a 3rd round pick.
Kennedy Darling for example is a very formidable, and have both played deep often.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I believe that we should target Ben Brown.
- we can get him at a good price.
- Him and Charlie would cause serious headaches for any backline.
- The game is trending towards a 3-4 tall forward line
-back up if Charlie, Mitch or Toddy get injured.
- a good bloke that will fit in well at Alberton.
- That second BIG target which will suit our front half style game.
- reliable set shot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

1601974232463.png

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
* He is not leaving Melbourne and is being courted be Geelong & others, so will go there
* He doesnt fit into our team & system (Davies almost rolled his eyes when asked & said as much)

Because the OP has started numerous threads like this in recent times 😳

Mutha F

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Tibbs is a dick. Start whatever thread you like mate. A no to Ben Brown from me however.

Back