Should Punt Rd Proposal be scrapped right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Punt Road idea has no logic and does not justify demolishing Etihad Stadium or having as a third Melbourne venue. Etihad can seat upto 56,000 fans while Punt Rd will accomodate 40,000 fans

Etihad Stadium is an easy ground to get to, for most people anyway and the Eddie McGuire proposal is a lot more appealing with new venue construction rather than just upgrading a smaller one. I don't think Tigers supporter base would want to play home games at Punt Rd when they can stay at MCG for big blockbuster clashes or even play games at the new venue which can seat upto 60,000 fans. Reminder Tigers membership base has grown beyond 65,000 and Punt Rd will fail to seat their fans plus other Victorian supporter base and will short change interstate teams who would rather play at MCG

Should AFL just tell Tigers and Gale 'No' right now and start plans to build the new Victorian stadium in conjunction with Eddie McGuire and MCC and look to sell off Etihad Stadium?
Or should we reconsider all options even possibly building the new stadium and upgrading Punt Rd?

Last edited:

Would pay to check your facts first.

Proposal was for it to be a third stadium for lower drawing matches, not to demolish Etihad and replace it with punt road oval.

Punt Rd is pointless. Given its location, i can't see why you'd bother.

A small stadium in Melbourne's north makes a lot more sense. Princes Park is a much more appealing location for a boutique stadium, if you absolutely need one.

Would pay to check your facts first.

Proposal was for it to be a third stadium for lower drawing matches, not to demolish Etihad and replace it with punt road oval.

Melbourne doesn't need 3 stadiums.
Tigers have biggest Victorian supporter base now. Which matches would be low drawing in your opinion?
I can't think of one

Geelong plays most home games at Simmonds. Hawks play home games in Tasmania and Few other clubs sell home games in QLD, NT, Canberra and other venues. We don't need a third Melbourne stadium. Just my opinion

Tigers have biggest Victorian supporter base now. Which matches would be low drawing in your opinion?
I can't think of one
Um how about all those matches that the 3rd level at Etihad is closed and the tenants make next to nothing for a home match?

I can't think of one

Geelong plays most home games at Simmonds. Hawks play home games in Tasmania and Few other clubs sell home games in QLD, NT, Canberra and other venues. We don't need a third Melbourne stadium. Just my opinion
It's not supposed to be for exclusively low drawing Tiger games. It's for the whole competition.

Um how about all those matches that the 3rd level at Etihad is closed and the tenants make next to nothing for a home match?

Tigers against any Vic team easy draws 50-60,000. Play at MCG or even at new venue which has 60,000 seats

Punt Rd doesn't make sense in this scenario you must agree

It's not supposed to be for exclusively low drawing Tiger games. It's for the whole competition.

Fair enough. Which other Victorian teams would prefer playing at Punt Road ahead of Etihad Stadium? If you can answer this question then this thread may as well be closed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realise there's only 1 or 2 H&A games a year, if that, at Etihad where the 3rd level's shut, right?

Fair enough. Which other Victorian teams would prefer playing at Punt Road ahead of Etihad Stadium? If you can answer this question then this thread may as well be closed

Dogs, North and any other club that has complained of the Etihad Stadium deal.

Good effort at a troll - and not a mention of Princess Park as a better option.

Keep Ethiad, upgrade faculties due course and get better staduim deals wgen the AFL own it.

Bulldogs have Ballarat for lower drawing when it ready.

Dogs, North and any other club that has complained of the Etihad Stadium deal.

Good effort at a troll - and not a mention of Princess Park as a better option.

How am I trolling?

Are you trying to tell me Dogs, NMFC would prefer to play home games at Punt Road over Etihad Stadium?

Punt Rd and Etihad are exactly the same in dimensions and are both equally accessible via public transport. Punt Rd would have the added option of parking at the MCG. Etihad's advantage is the roof, but it's the only ground in the Australia that has a roof. I'm sure clubs would prefer to pack out a 40,000 stadium than only half fill a 65,000 seat stadium if it meant they weren't getting screwed financially.

A third Melbourne stadium doesn't need a 40,000 capacity. If the smaller teams were drawing 35,000 plus to every game they wouldn't have a issue at Etihad or the MCG. The problem is when crowds dip below 25-30,000 mark. Thats the games you want to play at a third venue with a capacity of 30,000 tops.

There has been talk about Melbourne having a 3rd smaller cheaper to run stadium to provide better deals for smaller games and Punt Rd is an option.

Eddie's idea of knocking down Etihad for a similar sized stadium next to the MCG makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't provide and extra venue for games and will again cost a fortune providing bad stadium deals to pay it off. 2 games played in Melbourne both at the G and Victoria stadium would be a nightmare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back