• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
This is the other logical option, but Hardwick says they will play at Metricon. I would have thought you'd choose the Gabba, we just played there, we know the GF will be played there so that's where teams are going to have to win if we made it.

Unless the AFL wanted Metricon to spread the finals in QLD market?
If anyone plays there I hope it's you. Will mean Cats semi definitely won't be there, which if we win today helps us as we are s**t at Metricon.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I mean, it would make sense if the prelim is gonna be played in Adelaide. But fixturing shouldn't benefit a specific club. I actually feel the SF should reward the winner of the EF and be played and their home anyway.

This makes no sense.
Top 4 gets you a home final in your second game - the higher seeded team gets the fixturing advantage.

Last edited:

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Richmond - most hypocritical bunch of fans and club bar no one.
They want to play at Metricon.

Tigers fans every year.
“Finals should be played at the biggest ground”
“Shouldn’t lock out fans”
“It’s only 45 minutes down the highway”

Can’t pretend the RFC cares about its fans.
Like the gf being at the MCG, it's whatever favours your team

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
This makes no sense.
Top 4 gets you 2 home finals - the higher seeded team gets the fixturing advantage.
Why should 4th get such a big advantage over 5th? 4th has a free hit to a home prelim, whereas 5th has to win their game just to play away at 4th (most likely).

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Why should 4th get such a big advantage over 5th? 4th has a free hit to a home prelim, whereas 5th has to win their game just to play away at 4th (most likely).

Because they finished 4th, and don't get a home game yet as they would've just played homestate of the 1st placed team.
5th would've already had a home final.
Are you saying 5th should have 2 home finals in a row if they win their first game and 4th should have none if they lose theirs'?
Think about it.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Because they finished 4th, and don't get a home game yet as they would've just played homestate of the 1st placed team.
5th would've already had a home final.
Are you saying 5th should have 2 home finals in a row if they win their first game and 4th should have none if they lose theirs'?
Think about it.
Yeah I get that, but it's not really fair that 1 position on the ladder difference means that 1 team can lose 1 game and another win 1 game, yet the losing team is guaranteed to host the winning team. How about if with the win the 5th place team would now sit higher on the ladder than 4th place team they get to host the game? Same with 6/7 vs 2nd/3rd as well.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I get that, but it's not really fair that 1 position on the ladder difference means that 1 team can lose 1 game and another win 1 game, yet the losing team is guaranteed to host the winning team. How about if with the win the 5th place team would now sit higher on the ladder than 4th place team they get to host the game? Same with 6/7 vs 2nd/3rd as well.

But the 4th placed team just had to play at the team who won the minor premierships home, of course they will often lose.
Whereas 5th on their own deck only just beat lowly 8th.

I know it's one place - so fight hard for that place.
It's only one place between 2nd and 3rd but yet 2nd gets you two home finals!

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
But the 4th placed team just had to play at the team who won the minor premierships home, of course they will often lose.
Whereas 5th on their own deck only just beat lowly 8th.

I know it's one place - so fight hard for that place.
It's only one place between 2nd and 3rd but yet 2nd gets you two home finals!
Yeah but the regular season comes down to luck of the draw as well

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
I thought the critical time was when you really pressed them in the second and looked like stomping them, they weather it and hit back with three late goals and it seemed to take the wind out of some of your players. Credit to Brisbane though, you didn't play poorly.

1st and 2nd win their qualifying finals in competitive home games shock.
In that period in the second where we were on top around the ground, our forward entries were absolute garbage. Just bomb it long and hope for the best. Credit to Brisbane but it's also a problem with how Richmond set up. It's been a problem all season, and the return of Lynch won't fix it. I actually think Hardwick is a lot more dependent on his assistant coaches than a lot of people realise, and the loss of Caracella last season has hurt us. Also: Chol is not at the standard for an AFL footballer. Just like you shouldn't pick a cricket all rounder unless they're good enough to be picked for their batting or their bowling alone, Chol is neither a good enough fwd or ruck to deserve getting picked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
Tough s**t. That’s the system. And it works.
5th and 6th already get an advantage by playing at home week 1. There’s no way they should get another home final.
In 97 Geelong finished 2nd, lost week 1 then had to travel to Adelaide week 2 to play the crows who finished lower.
Is that fair?

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Because finals are top 8. The only difference between 1st and 4th is where the QF is played. 4th should not get such a big advantage over 5th
But they are higher seeded as they won more premiership points/had a higher percentage. If 4th played 5th in week one, should the final be at 4th’s home ground? If so, then I think the same would apply in a SF. There is a ranking system for a reason. Otherwise it would be a disadvantage to finish 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th and an advantage to finish 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th. It makes more sense to give the advantage to 1st - 4th over 5th - 8th because it is less arbitrary and because they performed better over the season.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
In that period in the second where we were on top around the ground, our forward entries were absolute garbage. Just bomb it long and hope for the best. Credit to Brisbane but it's also a problem with how Richmond set up. It's been a problem all season, and the return of Lynch won't fix it. I actually think Hardwick is a lot more dependent on his assistant coaches than a lot of people realise, and the loss of Caracella last season has hurt us. Also: Chol is not at the standard for an AFL footballer. Just like you shouldn't pick a cricket all rounder unless they're good enough to be picked for their batting or their bowling alone, Chol is neither a good enough fwd or ruck to deserve getting picked.

I think that is a bit tough on him, ruck forward is a very hard position to play and he is not very experienced. I would be pointing the finger at the Coleman medal winning AA key forward first.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought the critical time was when you really pressed them in the second and looked like stomping them, they weather it and hit back with three late goals and it seemed to take the wind out of some of your players. Credit to Brisbane though, you didn't play poorly.

Wouldn't say poor but definitely not at our best. Apart from Bolton's overturned goal, nobody seemed able to rise above grinding level. Our brilliance was blunted.

I think Fagan has pored over the Port tape. There were a lot of similarities to the way Port beat us, right down to the goading and 50m penalties. Full credit to the old bastard.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldn't say poor but definitely not at our best. Apart from Bolton's overturned goal, nobody seemed able to rise above grinding level. Our brilliance was blunted.

I think Fagan has pored over the Port tape. There were a lot of similarities to the way Port beat us, right down to the goading and 50m penalties. Full credit to the old bastard.

He is quite a clever coach. Agree wasn't your best but then they could say that they didn't permit you to play your best.

Hamstring recovery time was a big factor in this game, if Lynch had got up but Andrews not got up from the hammies..........

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
I think that is a bit tough on him, ruck forward is a very hard position to play and he is not very experienced. I would be pointing the finger at the Coleman medal winning AA key forward first.
I think the way Brisbane defended Jack didn't have much chance - he spilled some difficult marking chances but at least he competed and brought the ball to ground. The problem I had with Chol is his failure to get to contests, to bring the ball to ground, to have second efforts. For a guy who is 6'7" and athletic he really doesn't split enough contests.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the way Brisbane defended Jack didn't have much chance - he spilled some difficult marking chances but at least he competed and brought the ball to ground. The problem I had with Chol is his failure to get to contests, to bring the ball to ground, to have second efforts. For a guy who is 6'7" and athletic he really doesn't split enough contests.

Fair enough, you see more of him than I do. Looked a bit nervous out there last night.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He is quite a clever coach. Agree wasn't your best but then they could say that they didn't permit you to play your best.

Hamstring recovery time was a big factor in this game, if Lynch had got up but Andrews not got up from the hammies..........

We missed Lynch more than I thought. Expected Chol to improve but he didn't. Maybe he just can't. Reckon Coleman-Jones would've made a better fist of the opportunity.

He was either trying to sneak out the back Vickery-style or flying against Jack. There was no chemistry between them. Has obvious physical gifts but I think he requires a lot of patience, another 2 or 3 years. At some point you have to question if it's worth the investment. Last night was very expensive experience.

If he'd held that gift-wrapped delivery 20m out in the first it might've been different. Now I sound like Fagan.

Back