Opinion Should Rucci be banned from all AFC press conferences?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think many on here may find it hard to read anything he writes objectively. For example, when he is knocking the Crows he is just trolling. When he is knocking Poort (as he has done occasionally in the past) he is trying to prick that club in to fixing the problem. At least that is what I thought when he got stuck into Primus for example. When I used to read the Advertiser I found myself checking who wrote the piece to decide whether the criticism was justified or should be dismissed as just a Rucci troll.

I think many on here may find it hard to read anything he writes objectively. For example, when he is knocking the Crows he is just trolling. When he is knocking Poort (as he has done occasionally in the past) he is trying to prick that club in to fixing the problem. At least that is what I thought when he got stuck into Primus for example. When I used to read the Advertiser I found myself checking who wrote the piece to decide whether the criticism was justified or should be dismissed as just a Rucci troll.
When he wrote about Port he was pushing HIS agenda about what should happen at the club.

It was not even thinly veiled as a opinion piece. It was active agitation for the sacking of the board. He could have written the same article(s) as opinion pieces in a much more professional manner. They did come across as spite from a disgruntled fan.

Now things are good at PAPland, he's got his way and happy, "Crows fans should want their club to be like Port".... back to trolling.

No we don't. We want our club to return to its former glory where all South Australians could appreciate the football we played.

Solution: Stop reading murdoch's tabloid garbage
Except that the causal fan reads him and forms opinions. There has to he a dissenting voice. You can't put up an argument against what he says... a la Merve... unless you know what he says and can use his arguments against him.

A caller today put up an alternative view about professional players having the right to identify issues which hinders thier success and raise them with the club. The caller cited Talia's b&f speech and his well documented professional preparation and suggested that they have earned the right to speak up. This was to counter his "players pick the coach" pot shots.

There was litterally silence for 2 seconds. Then a deflection to the board's responsibility which was secondary to the point. The dead air spoke volumes.

On the back of Rucci's article

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ph...ach-in-late-july/story-fndv862c-1227085428389

He again attempts to paint the AFC and Roo in a bad light, I feel its time for the AFC to finally stand up to Rucci and straight up ban him from AFC press conferences. Why reward the troll by continually letting him into club pressers only for him to hijack them. He doesn't deserve it. He continually shows a lack of respect for the AFC. He is nothing more than a poor mans Hutchi, Caro and Barrett who he is clearly trying to emulate.

That would only give the troll ammunition.
The Walshinator will tear him many new ones over the course of the journey, you watch.
I get the impression he doesn't suffer fools, of which Roochi is the biggest. You don't even have to show him where the shovel is...he will dig his own grave,be castigated for his dumb questions and shrink.

That would only give the troll ammunition.
The Walshinator will tear him many new ones over the course of the journey, you watch.
I get the impression he doesn't suffer fools, of which Roochi is the biggest. You don't even have to show him where the shovel is...he will dig his own grave,be castigated for his dumb questions and shrink.

This maybe true but all that will happen is Rucci will just start writing negative opinion pieces about his coaching and using any anti Rucci press conference comments against him. Just because someone has a media badge doesn't give them the right to be disrespectful at will and have no repercussions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club needs the media just as much as vice versa

There is the media and then there is Rucci. I am fine with Rucci putting the blowtorch on the club when its deserved, it clearly kicks the right people in the arse and change starts to occur. However it isn't deserved at present and he just keeps looking for ways to stick the boot in.

The club needs the media just as much as vice versa

Yeah, we do. I realise the tenuous nature of media relations - I used to work in the industry.

Another poster mentioned that casual readers form opinions based on what they read - rightly or wrongly. My point is that we don't have to put up with the sniping that goes on - and I'm not just talking about Rooch. There is a concerted effort by a few media voices to build Port up based on the fact that they're Port fanbois and we don't need to simply sit there and say 'oh well, they're the media, we can't do anything about that'. It's a shame that the quality of Australian journalism and media outlets is so crap, but that's what we've got, so that's what we need to deal with.

Dunno if anyone was listening on sunday but I caught the intro to the show on my way into work.

Rucci posed the question off the bat (something to this effect) - "Why are Adelaide being so secret squirrel about their trade week targets? Shouldn't they be honest about it for their fans sake? Whats with all the secrecy...? *wait for it*... Wouldnt you think Crows fans would want to know? *wait for it*... At least Port are honest with their fans! Port fans know who they're targeting because their club told them - Patty Ryder!"

And bingo. It took him about 2 mins to a) have a crack at the AFC and b) compare it back to Port.

But hang on Rooch - didn't Patty Ryder first nominate Port, and then your club began to negotiate with Essendon? And what club in any professional sport ever fronts the media and lists its trade targets? Isnt that the point? Its a secret.

And while trying to suggest us AFC fans are "sh*tty with the club" for being so secretive, all I could think was "gee Michaelangelo, isnt it you who's supposed to tell us who we're targeting? You're the chief footy writer arent you? Dont you have the sources?"

I hoped the baking continued into sunday. That sh*t was too funny! Absolute muppet.

#longlivemerv

Dunno if anyone was listening on sunday but I caught the intro to the show on my way into work.

Rucci posed the question off the bat (something to this effect) - "Why are Adelaide being so secret squirrel about their trade week targets? Shouldn't they be honest about it for their fans sake? Whats with all the secrecy...? *wait for it*... Wouldnt you think Crows fans would want to know? *wait for it*... At least Port are honest with their fans! Port fans know who they're targeting because their club told them - Patty Ryder!"

And bingo. It took him about 2 mins to a) have a crack at the AFC and b) compare it back to Port.

But hang on Rooch - didn't Patty Ryder first nominate Port, and then your club began to negotiate with Essendon? And what club in any professional sport ever fronts the media and lists its trade targets? Isnt that the point? Its a secret.

And while trying to suggest us AFC fans are "sh*tty with the club" for being so secretive, all I could think was "gee Michaelangelo, isnt it you who's supposed to tell us who we're targeting? You're the chief footy writer arent you? Dont you have the sources?"

I hoped the baking continued into sunday. That sh*t was too funny! Absolute muppet.

#longlivemerv
And then he was taking pot shots at those that said "we are happy to wait". He trolled them in the middle of other caller's points too.

He's just sour that the leaks have stopped.

I wonder if Rucci realizes he has a personality disorder.

To answer the OP, people with PDs shouldn't just be banned from press conferences, they should be locked up in mental institutions. Unfortunately, the majority of them are very adept at putting up a facade of being functional human beings and it would cost too much to have them all locked up anyway.

Last edited:
End of the day his job is to sell Newspapers and draw people to the Adelaidenow website (being a News Ltd Employee), not to be a quality journalist.

He is very good at his job.

Disagree.
I'm much less likely to read given his employment.

I know of many others that share that opinion.

There's ^^^ this, which seems a perfectly reasonable question.
Also the AFL would probably tell you to cease and desist.
Rooch doesn't seem to break anything but wind these days.

Is it too much to ask to have a half inteligent journalist report on both SA teams in a manner in which both are promoted, lauded for good efforts and slammed for poor ones?

At the moment theres just so much crap, and so much bias, that it creates a gaping hole in the landscape.

Agreed that Jesper Fjsteldjstedlstjested article was great.

One thing I wondered - if we had our man pegged in July, were we interviewing Bolton, Dew, bass etc purely out of due diligence or perhaps also as senior assistants?

Keeping in mind the Fagan "best coaching team" mantra, how good if we could jag one of those guys as senior "slightly more important to get you out of your contract" assistant coach.

When is that announcement btw?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back