Should Rudd be backed for the UN Sec General Job?

Should the Aust Govt back Rudd

• Yes, it would be good for the country

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Not sure/don't care

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Clarke & Dawe don a KRudd skit on this. If not needs to happen would be absolute Gold. Some of their work on Hawke & Keating was brilliant!

This has been a most amusing episode. The little war between Kevin Turnbull and Malcolm Rudd. The leaking and character assassinations, Bishops stupidity in supporting Rudd, Turnbull hanging her out to dry then her leaking against him. Its a complete and utter circus over a non issue (ie Kevin / No) demonstrating that none of the parties are fit to govern - even the haters can see Abbott quietly getting on with work after his shameful knifing has more dignity and class than all of these fools put together.

This has been a most amusing episode. The little war between Kevin Turnbull and Malcolm Rudd. The leaking and character assassinations, Bishops stupidity in supporting Rudd, Turnbull hanging her out to dry then her leaking against him. Its a complete and utter circus over a non issue (ie Kevin / No) demonstrating that none of the parties are fit to govern - even the haters can see Abbott quietly getting on with work after his shameful knifing has more dignity and class than all of these fools put together.
So Bishop leaked that it had been a Cabinet decision, not Turnbull's decision? Or was there something else. I have to admit that when I heard the press report that 'after discussions, Turnbull had decided it would be his decision to make' that it was obvious the answer was 'no' and he wanted to get some right-wing credit for delivering it.

not sure how it demonstrates the ALP isn't fit when Rudd isn't even in politics.

anyway, here's a bit more on the story..or should I say another leak?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-turnbulls-captains-pick-20160802-gqjlqz.html

cabinet was in favour of backing Rudd.

Interesting article on this whole saga: http://www.afr.com/news/politics/na...e-race-for-the-united-nations-20160731-gqhivc and http://www.geoffraby.com/content/details_5_229.html.

Malcolm Turnbull must hope against the odds that either the UNSG selection process is resolved in September or that Trump triumphs. If both do not happen, when the PM makes his first telephone call to President-elect Clinton to congratulate her he needs to be well prepared for her to say, among many other important things, that "Kevin's a great guy, the most knowledgeable person there is on China, and we would really welcome your help in having him appointed UNSG".

It would take a Keatingesque leader to resist such US pressure. And when the Prime Minister advises his cabinet of Clinton's request, those who were most opposed to Rudd will ask the loudest, how high does she wish us to jump? Consistency is not something the Prime Minister's enemies in the cabinet care about. They care most about humiliating him and undermining his authority. And Rudd will have his revenge on Malcolm, which now he so badly craves.

not sure how it demonstrates the ALP isn't fit when Rudd isn't even in politics.

anyway, here's a bit more on the story..or should I say another leak?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-turnbulls-captains-pick-20160802-gqjlqz.html

cabinet was in favour of backing Rudd.

Errm according to the article there are 23 members of cabinet so even if you believe the number of 11 in favour of Rudd that leaves 12 members against.

Why would you leave the PM's and deputy PM's votes out of a 'one vote one value' type poll?

On those numbers cabinet voted in favour of not backing Rudd.

Errm according to the article there are 23 members of cabinet so even if you believe the number of 11 in favour of Rudd that leaves 12 members against.

Why would you leave the PM's and deputy PM's votes out of a 'one vote one value' type poll?

On those numbers cabinet voted in favour of not backing Rudd.
What seems to have happened is Barnaby abstained, saying he would back the PM, so the vote was 11 to 10 before Malcolm's 'Captain's pick' made it 12 to 11. The crazy thing is just how much in-fighting, leaking and counter-leaking is going on over something which means so little.

Shambolic.

What seems to have happened is Barnaby abstained, saying he would back the PM, so the vote was 11 to 10 before Malcolm's 'Captain's pick' made it 12 to 11. The crazy thing is just how much in-fighting, leaking and counter-leaking is going on over something which means so little.

Shambolic.

Barnaby didn't say he abstained and he spoke publicly about this a few days ago. Where did you get that from?

A vote is a vote and 12 beats 11. There's no need for a 'Captain's pick' so I'm not sure how that is confusing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought hillary doesn't like Rudd on the basis that she's great mates with Gillard.

Rudd has the backing of the US. As Latham said "he is their creature" they have sunk alot of time into him and having him the head is as close as an American is going to get to the position.

Barnaby didn't say he abstained and he spoke publicly about this a few days ago. Where did you get that from?

A vote is a vote and 12 beats 11. There's no need for a 'Captain's pick' so I'm not sure how that is confusing.
Heard it on the news. I guess you're saying that the fact he said he would 'back whatever the PM does' is not abstaining because he essentially just gave his vote to Malcolm. The point stands that both sides can claim they won in the Cabinet. And both sides are.

This in-fighting was predicted before the election, which is why I made threads about it and why MT was mocked for claiming he would bring 'stability'.

Heard it on the news. I guess you're saying that the fact he said he would 'back whatever the PM does' is not abstaining because he essentially just gave his vote to Malcolm. The point stands that both sides can claim they won in the Cabinet. And both sides are.

This in-fighting was predicted before the election, which is why I made threads about it and why MT was mocked for claiming he would bring 'stability'.

12 votes beats 11 in a 23 member cabinet any way you look at it. Everyone gets a vote.

Not everyone there met Rudd or knew him, some would have relied on Turnbull or Bishop's opinion others might have remembered Giĺlards. If Joyce relied on Turnbull's opinion so be it, its not abstaining.

12 votes beats 11 in a 23 member cabinet any way you look at it. Everyone gets a vote.

Not everyone there met Rudd or knew him, some would have relied on Turnbull or Bishop's opinion others might have remembered Giĺlards. If Joyce relied on Turnbull's opinion so be it, its not abstaining.

yeh, no s**t, but Barnaby can't think for himself and has to follow the PM and what he does...

What bit are you not understanding? Joyce and Turnbull didn't vote in the Cabinet. Turnbull said he would make a decision as he was given effectively two votes by Joyce saying he'd back Turnbull whatever the decision. So in the Cabinet room at the time it was 10 to 11 and so the 'yes' team claims they won. Then MT went away (I think so he could claim some credit from right-wingers, seeing as him and Hunt were about to do some climate changey stuff) and decided it was a 'No', making it 12 - 11 'within the Cabinet', but not in the actual party room. Hence both sides are claiming they are right and Rudd is claiming his own things about what MT has said in the past.

What bit are you not understanding? Joyce and Turnbull didn't vote in the Cabinet. Turnbull said he would make a decision as he was given effectively two votes by Joyce saying he'd back Turnbull whatever the decision. So in the Cabinet room at the time it was 10 to 11 and so the 'yes' team claims they won. Then MT went away (I think so he could claim some credit from right-wingers, seeing as him and Hunt were about to do some climate changey stuff) and decided it was a 'No', making it 12 - 11 'within the Cabinet', but not in the actual party room. Hence both sides are claiming they are right and Rudd is claiming his own things about what MT has said in the past.

Do you have a source for any of that?

Do you have a source for any of that?
As tempting as it is to say 'just Google it', I'll assume you just didn't know. It was widely reported in the news on radio, TV and in newspapers from a week ago onwards. It was leaked that Turnbull would make the decision, Barnaby said he would back whatever Turnbull decided, it was leaked that both sides had 'won' the Cabinet debate, and more and more detail came out so that we now even know it was a 10-11 split before the Turnbull/Joyce decision.

It's the same behaviour seen under Gillard and then Abbott and now Turnbull. People who don't back the leader revealing info which forces others to reveal info to fight back.

As tempting as it is to say 'just Google it', I'll assume you just didn't know. It was widely reported in the news on radio, TV and in newspapers from a week ago onwards. It was leaked that Turnbull would make the decision, Barnaby said he would back whatever Turnbull decided, it was leaked that both sides had 'won' the Cabinet debate, and more and more detail came out so that we now even know it was a 10-11 split before the Turnbull/Joyce decision.

It's the same behaviour seen under Gillard and then Abbott and now Turnbull. People who don't back the leader revealing info which forces others to reveal info to fight back.

Sorry I don't see 12 votes in favour of Rudd anywhere there.

How you or anyone else thinks that 11 votes out of 23 constitutes a win is beyond me.

Here's Barnaby Joyce confirming the result in case you missed it...

"I've seen some reports that this was a captain's pick, it was not. It was a decision of cabinet," Mr Joyce said. "I don't think it's giving too much away to say it was a majority."

Sorry I don't see 12 votes in favour of Rudd anywhere there.

How you or anyone else thinks that 11 votes out of 23 constitutes a win is beyond me.

Here's Barnaby Joyce confirming the result in case you missed it...

"I've seen some reports that this was a captain's pick, it was not. It was a decision of cabinet," Mr Joyce said. "I don't think it's giving too much away to say it was a majority."
So I was wrong to assume you just didn't know and should've back my instinct that you were just trying trying to spin something which we all know the detail of. Good for you. But it's wasted space aiming it at me.

While the Liberals bicker over things so small and insignificant, they aren't concentrating on the country.

Back