Should Russell Ebert be the new Legend in the 2020 induction in the AFL Australian Football Hall of Fame?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Next year the AFL will elevate a member of the AFL Australian Football Hall of Fame to its highest honour-Legend status.

And there should be no doubt that former Port Adelaide champion Russell Ebert will be elevated to Legend in 2020.

Ebert’s record speaks for himself:

-391 SANFL games with Port Adelaide
-25 VFL games with North Melbourne
-4 time winner of the Margarey Medal (1971, 1974, 1976, 1980)
-29 State games for South Australia
-SA State Captain 1983
-1981 Jack Oatey Medal winner
-6 time Port Adelaide Best & Fairest
-3 time Port Adelaide premiership player (1977, 1980, 1981)
-1977 SANFL premiership captain with Port Adelaide

Should Russell Ebert be the new Legend next year?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Players are playing longer and older these days, boomer passed tucks record but he achieved nowhere near as much.

Its still a legitimate record

You’ve got to be joking. Who the * is Russell Ebert?

No VFL accomplishments? No legend status. Sorry but a SANFL record like his is the equivalent of a solid 200 game VFL player of the same era.

That’s not going to be a popular statement, but it’s a fact

Some tough competition

Gary Ablett Snr
Wayne Carey
Jason Dunstall
Mick Malthouse (Sheedy is there, why not Malthouse?)

Many others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ve got to be joking. Who the fu** is Russell Ebert?

No VFL accomplishments? No legend status. Sorry but a SANFL record like his is the equivalent of a solid 200 game VFL player of the same era.

That’s not going to be a popular statement, but it’s a fact

^^^ One of the reasons why I avoid the main board on BigFooty. What an idiot.

Players are playing longer and older these days, boomer passed tucks record but he achieved nowhere near as much.

Its still a legitimate record

I was wondering the numbers on this, and luckily AFL Tables have them. Percentage of players over 30 are trending upwards, but have historically been higher. However this seems to be in a period where the game was not yet professional. What did strike me is the number of players under 20 between the 50s and 70s.

I remember when Boomer passed the record that people said it will never be passed again, because the game is so professional and the players bodies are being tested much more. Doesn't seem to be true, although this isn't conclusive. We'd need average age of retirement, I think.

The vast majority of the SANFL watching old geezer crowd all rate Ebert & Robran over Blight that probably tells any sane person how good he was.

Probably says more to the mental capacity of South Australians.

In a week where we are celebrating Burgoynes games record, while ignoring Farmer & Cable, the AFL are likely to do anything.
Of course Ebert is a legend of our national game.
Why mention Farmer? Burgoyne passed his tally of league games awhile ago.
He's now passed Goodes and chasing Cable.

If not Ebert than Craig Bradley would have to be a shoo in?

Arguably the greatest footballer to ever be produced out of South Australia, widely considered as a god of the most successful State league club of all time....its almost a disgrace that he hasn’t been inducted but it’s just a matter of time til he is

Top level in that era was Origin ...
Bit hard for the deniers when the likes of Ebert & Stephen Michael put the Vics to the sword.
Ebert may not be a Vic legend but he will forever be a true legend of our game, just as Port are the most successful club of the State League era.

That's the thing. Why did they have SOO rather than league Vs league? Because the majority of the best players were in the VFL, making it a higher standard, week in, week out. Great player sure, but it's hard to rate someone as being absolute top tier when they played in a second tier comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back