List Mgmt. Should Ryder get a new contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bloody good question to be asking.

McKenzie & Johnson seem like two obvious delistings, along with Hewett from the Rookie list. Trengove, Amon, Farrell, Bonner are probably on the fringe. The latter three at least may get traded, albeit for little value, but if just one of those guys go that's three off the main list and one of the rookie.

So on a list-basis it's not straightforward whether we NEED to delist Ryder.

Wonder how he'd feel about being told we could give him another year, but he'd likely be playing most of it in the SANFL?

As much as I've loved him at the club my instinct is probably that he's not best 22 next year, and he's not necessary for depth, either.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Too early to call. Ladhams was a certain delisting 6 weeks ago and has since been a revelation. Paddy has still got plenty to offer. 1 more year at a substantial salary cut.

Palpatine_Power

13 In A Row Participation Certificate 2023
Apr 9, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Ladham's and Ryder's seasons continue in their current trajectory I'd say no. Also want to see how Hayes plays out this year.

I mean or we could play a forward system with another KPF so that Paddy isn't relied upon as the forward focal point, but hey what would I know.
So ideally it would make sense to see them at AFL level at some point this year.

Tough decisions need to be made with our list. We made two last year moving on Polec and Wingard. Ryder will be 32 at the start of next season, is starting to move more and more like a pensioner and we have 2 guys ready and waiting in Ladhams and Frampton, and potentially the best of the lot in Hayes coming through as well.

Should he get a new contract?
To early to make a decision. If he plays like the last 2-4 weeks, although was good against WCE, then probably not.

Anyway he only gets a 1 year deal and we can offer him a lot less than he is on if we think he can mentor the young guys.

He has to be open to being managed and being dropped or rested. Reckon in 10-12 weeks time we will have a more definitive answer.

Yes.

Ruck is a difficult position to play and he's a high quality, experienced ruckman. You never know what will happen with injuries/form so far as Lycett is concerned and nobody here can guarantee me that any of Frampton, Ladhams or Hayes will make it at AFL level.

If you really want to develop a young guy then tell Lycett and Ryder that they're battling for 1 ruck spot. Or even tell Ryder and Dixon they're battling for 1 forward spot.

This thread is a bit premature I reckon.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A little early for me. Has been very disappointing this year and has really only given us 1 good full season. By round 16 we should know but we must be willing to roll the dice with Ladhams and Hayes once he is back and finds some form. But more looking on the cooked side....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All you guys saying we extend him and other old grinders will have no place complaining about our perennial midtable finishes, when we won’t back in the players coming through, won’t stop gifting games to players on a rapid decline, and allow our playing list to be consistently a couple extra development spots down because we can’t let go of a senior players faded form

A rolling one year contract that is based around him playing half the games so Ladhams gets a crack. Basically, take his contract and divide between him and Ladhams.

I don’t want to rely on a rookie for 22 games. 11 is good.

PAFC27

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have we all forgotten how royally ****ed we were a few years ago when Lobbe went down? Renouf, and Reddens come back game still give me nightmares.

We're clearly not keen on Ladhams. Hayes is still some time away, IF he develops the way we want.

Offer him a 12 month contract on peanuts, if he knocks it back and explores opportunity elsewhere then so be it and we'll have to make do with what we have

Skindy

Senior List
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Depends if contracting him means committing to playing him in the firsts. If Ryder is willing to play on a reduced contract and be a back up/fringe player then yes he is handy depth. He shouldn't get another year as our primary choice though.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
Ladhams and Sammy need to play, so it's a definite no, in fact Ladhams should be played from this week

Back