List Mgmt. Should Ryder get a new contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course he should if his salary matches his output/age and his body allows it.

If there are offers elsewhere and he has trade value - that’s a deeper discussion.
You also need to consider what his salary being free up would allow us to nibble at.

Frampton will never be and AFL ruck - Lladhams is showing signs and I agree Hayes is potentially the pick of the lot.

Are we comfortable next year going into a game with no Ryder or Lycett if we get rid of Ryder and Lycett gets injured ?

Personally Ryder on a reduced contract and played on merit with an eye to blooding for the future seems a sound idea.
What happens for instance if Ladhams duds it up at afl level - which is possible.

Last edited:

Have you forgotten 2014-2018?
No I haven't forgotten that period where we didn't win a premiership

Have you forgotten how during that period there were always more players that deserved delisting than were delisted, effectively leaving us with a shorter list to develop players with?

No I haven't forgotten that period where we didn't win a premiership

Have you forgotten how during that period there were always more players that deserved delisting than were delisted, effectively leaving us with a shorter list to develop players with?
Sure, I don’t disagree but there is a fair weight of recent evidence saying that if we delist Ryder we won’t be drafting another ruckman.

I'd give him a 1 year extension. Hes still our best tap ruckman.

Ryder/lycett and Marshall need to be our 2nd and 3rd talls up forward. Neither of them can take the opposition's best backmen.

No. Also needs a rest as he's cooked right now. We have coverage for his position and should be playing kids as much as possible this year.

This is a good point. I think Ryder should go around again but he needs to be managed. Play the current back up and give Ryder extended periods on the sideline, rolling him out fresh for particular games. Smart clubs do this.

Have we all forgotten how royally ****** we were a few years ago when Lobbe went down?
Lol mate we win one game and this board, even after years of failure, starts talking the week after in the preview threads about how easy our next game will be, how we're getting better, climbing the ladder, making finals, etc, before we proceed with another #whathappenpower

So Keeping perspective ain't done that well around here. Lol

Tough decisions need to be made with our list. We made two last year moving on Polec and Wingard. Ryder will be 32 at the start of next season, is starting to move more and more like a pensioner and we have 2 guys ready and waiting in Ladhams and Frampton, and potentially the best of the lot in Hayes coming through as well.

Should he get a new contract?

It's a fair and honest question to ask and one im not prepared to answer in full till all the dust has settled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is if our best players weren't injured and we were 5-3 or 6-2 then nobody here would be picking on Ryder. This topic wouldn't exist.

Reality is if our best players weren't injured and we were 5-3 or 6-2 then nobody here would be picking on Ryder. This topic wouldn't exist.

If we were a genuine premiership threat this topic wouldn’t exist but we’re not and so here we are.

No point in squeezing out the last fumes of Ryder’s career when his spot is better served giving Ladhams/Frampton development game time.

Depends on how he is going in another 8-10 weeks, as well as Ladhams, Frampton and Hayes. If he's prepared to significantly reduce his contract, play SANFL and mentor the young rucks, he probably gets 1 year. If he's not willing to do that, I reckon this is his last season.

Absolutely he gets another contract. He has twice been switched into the main ruck role when Lycett was getting beaten, and turned the tide in ruck. It’s not just a Lycett show. The 2 together are formidable in a “if Lillie don’t get you Thomo must” sort of way.

It’s our point of difference and in the top 3 things that make this squad hard to play.

Also, talent like Paddy is rare and can’t be replaced. He is a great pack mark, a good leading forward, agile enough to put pressure on their defenders, mobile enough to get all over the ground, quick enough to lead most opponents to the ball, in the best few kicks for goal in the team, able to kick the occasional bag, and a top class tap ruckman.

When we have someone like that, ready to perform at his level then maybe. Right at the moment, if his motivation remains strong and the body holds, he could play for a while yet.

If we were a genuine premiership threat this topic wouldn’t exist but we’re not and so here we are.

No point in squeezing out the last fumes of Ryder’s career when his spot is better served giving Ladhams/Frampton development game time.

Smashing into Ryder isn't going to change the fact that we have 8 first choice players injured which is 90% of the reason for our current woes.

Depends on how he is going in another 8-10 weeks, as well as Ladhams, Frampton and Hayes. If he's prepared to significantly reduce his contract, play SANFL and mentor the young rucks, he probably gets 1 year. If he's not willing to do that, I reckon this is his last season.

The coach(es) also need to be strong enough to not select him if he's not playing both roles (ruck and forward) to an adequate level.

It's no longer good enough saying that Lycett and Ryder are both rucking well. They need to be doing much more in the forward line and around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back