List Mgmt. Should Ryder get a new contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

This board for the past 4 years: Why doesn't bloody Ken Hinkley recruit a mature age ruck so we can have some ruck depth in case we get an injury?

This board when we finally recruit a mature age ruck so we have some ruck depth: Our second ruck isn't putting in dominating performances when he doesn't get to play as #1 ruck. Let's delist him!
You do realise those aren't contradictory stances, right?

You do realise those aren't contradictory stances, right?

Well, it's not if you believe that if Lycett gets injured we'll be completely fine relying solely on Ladhams (0 AFL games) and Hayes (0 AFL games, and fresh off of an ACL). Or if, such as in your case, you don't really care whether or not we'll be fine relying on them. Which is an opinion you're entitled to, but it's definitely not an opinion that's going to be shared by the people being paid to run the club.

Schulzenfest When I was here in the past four years, the cries to recruit a mature age ruck were most commonly about drafting one as a backup, which we didn't do. We recruited (and pay for) a first 22 player.

Thats OK in that we have two rucks as an option, but its bad because its currently exposing each of them when they rest in our forward line. And it didn't seem to give us enough of an edge to nullify a prime ruck like Grundy, even though he was rucking solo. So maybe its not ok. Not the point right now.

And maybe you're proposing that Ryder basically be delisted and put on the rookie list or something similar, making him purely a depth ruckman who'd only come into the side if Lycett is injured. But as you want to talk about the people being paid to run the club, that also seems like its very unlikely to happen - if he's on the list, then I expect this time next year you'll still be throwing Ladhams and Hayes (0 AFL games) around as a reason to never rely on our younger rucks.

Were we all pissing ourselves over trading out Polec and maybe having to play depth players instead? Why are we making rucks a huge exception, especially with the huge gap in our list waiting to knock the s**t out of us.

Over the next three years we are going to lose a bunch of senior players for entirely natural reasons. As one of the oldest players, Ryder is first cab off the rank, particularly if his form at AFL level is subpar in anything but his ideal conditions. Hanging on and hanging on is going to cause an absolute ******* exodus - of older players retiring at once, and maybe a few frustrated young players lobbing up for a trade.

But sure.

Ryder, broadbent, RGray, Westhoff, Boak and Rocky will all have their careers assessed due to age with clear candidates at the moment due to performance

I think Motlop, Hartlett, Watts, Trengove, SGray and McKenzie could also find themselves as part of that review for similar reasons

After rewatching the Showdown, I can unequivocally say yes.

When Dixon gets back* and Lycett/Ryder are the second string in the forward line, things will be better.

*Yes, everything hinges on Dixon. That's why he's a true key position forward.

After rewatching the Showdown, I can unequivocally say yes.

When Dixon gets back* and Lycett/Ryder are the second string in the forward line, things will be better.

*Yes, everything hinges on Dixon. That's why he's a true key position forward.

I agree Ryder should get another contract, for only 1 year and assess after that. I would be surprised if he would get a 2 year contract anywhere else as a 1st Ruck. I think that would be seen as too bigger risk by most clubs. Perhaps under certain circumstances. If a club has a young ruck a year away from ready, or if he was sharing ruck 50/50 with someone.

However I wouldn't be continuing with playing the Ryder/Lycett combination on a regular basis. Only against opposition where it is a particular advantage to have two rucks It takes development time away from Marshall, Frampton, Ladhams or even Hayes. Worse still, we may end up losing one or more of them as they seek greener pastures. Then when Ryder retires in a year or two, we have less experienced forwards and rucks of those that do actually choose to stay.

Ryder is not a great forward option, which we need more than we need a great second ruck. Since 2012 he has averaged half a goal a game which doesn't really make him an ultra threatening forward, and as he loses his athletic ability which he relies so heavily on I doubt that is going to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryder should get another deal. He doesn't look fit at present, that doesn't mean he is cooked or can't turn it around though.

Probably a 1+1 deal with activation clause on games/performance next year.

Westy should absolutely get another year or two.

still yes to Ryder. Said it a hundred times, put him in the sole ruck position and see him dominate.

He isn't a forward.

Hoff i think is nearing the end. Having less impact and his kicking seems to be getting worse weekly. We need to remove one old head at the end of the year to keep the youth coming through.

Frampton and marshall are also both in the SANFL and should be moved ahead of hoff in the pecking order now.

+1 for keeping Ryder but only rolling 1 year contracts that are heavily performance based.

+1 also for moving him on if we get even the slightest sniff that he’s not happy with 1 year.

Ladhams is playing great football at the moment and its reasonable to think he’d be almost ready to start testing the waters at AFL level, especially if he can get another uninterrupted preseason under his belt.

Hayes offers an “in case of emergency break glass” option but you would temper any expectations in that space.

The mid season draft also offers us another way to bring in a mature age ruckman if Lycett gets injured and the above doesn’t work out. This wasn’t available to us previously and I daresay we probably would have used it if we could have at the time.

Personally I’m more concerned about having a backup option for Dixon.

I would not be holding onto Ryder unless it is for one year on significantly less cash.

Lycett has shown that he can handle the number one ruck role on his own, and we have Ladhams who is next in line and ready and Hayes who won't be far behind.

I just can't see Hoff in our best 22 as that swingman anymore. He's not a forward, he's too slow for the wing, and we have enough talls at the back that he doesn't have to drop behind the ball and intercept mark anymore. Where does that honestly leave him?

Matthew Lloyd telling the world that Paddy has been offered a one year deal and that three clubs will be in the market to offer him a two year deal. One of those clubs is GWS who will need a replacement for Shane Mumford who hits 33 this year.

Paddy is not a free agent, his best is behind him and we have Ladhams and Hayes in the wings so why wouldn't we be open to the right sort of deal? Failing the right sort of deal being struck we offer Paddy twelve months and keep him for insurance.

Yes Ryder should get a one year extension. Would be crazy not to offer it!

This is a player we supported when he was banned, we have nurtured through injuries that have cost us a season and we stood by during the police debacle.

He'd be crazy not to accept.

Otherwise we need at least a 2nd rounder for him.

Ryder should get another deal. He doesn't look fit at present, that doesn't mean he is cooked or can't turn it around though.

Probably a 1+1 deal with activation clause on games/performance next year.

Westy should absolutely get another year or two.
See this where you are falling for past deeds and heart strings like emotional Ken, if we are fair dinkum about the next generation coming through and you know being a ruthless club they are both finished with us.. it doesn't matter if they have a year of reasonable standard left in them they can play it out elsewhere.

Yes to Ryder, put him in the sole ruck position and he dominates.

Yeah. That's the problem. Let's play a 31yo injury prone player solely in the ruck and hold back the development of Lycett, let alone Ladhams and Hayes.

If Ryder plays sole ruck he'll be a key component and cog of our side. A side which won't challenge for a premiership this year. What's the point?

Unpopular opinion but hasn't done much since 2017, anyway.

Westhoff is probably the best mature plug and play depth you could possibly ask for.

I think we should offer to keep him on the list for 1 final year (on reduced salary) so that he can plug a hole if needed or be a mentor to our kids if he’s not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back