Prediction Should Sinclair wear a helmet in 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Hes had so many concussions and there was talk around him retiring. Would wearing a helmet help him get through the rest of his career like Daniel from the Bulldogs?

Helmets do nothing to prevent concussion. In fact, you may actually be more likely to receive a concussion with a helmet on as you're more likely to play a more aggressive style of footy.

Hes had so many concussions and there was talk around him retiring. Would wearing a helmet help him get through the rest of his career like Daniel from the Bulldogs?

Pretty sure we've covered this topic a million times over the past few years and it's been repeated ad nauseam. Helmets do not prevent concussion... check out the NFL or the mountain of research if you don't believe that.

Those things help prevent damage to the skull and general abrasions, not brain injury. If it's that much of an issue the best protection would be retirement

Those things help prevent damage to the skull and general abrasions, not brain injury. If it's that much of an issue the best protection would be retirement

... or to grow an afro

images

#callingfolkswithpowerpointskills

Like others I have serious doubts over the viability of a helmet for a guy in Sinclair's position. Without the exact details of his health my advice would be to try and change the way he plays to protect himself more, but it may well be too late now for him unfortunately.
So you think he will just retire now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think all players should wear helmets. It's really not that hard. The blokes put their lives at risk every time they run out there, and if helmets can prevent even one concussion or brain injury, then so be it.

So you think he will just retire now?

I doubt it. I think the decision to retire would have been made by now were it potentially going to impact his long term health.

Its something we just don't know enough about and the experiences I had with concussion certainly weren't helped when I started wearing a helmet.

I actually think all players should wear helmets. It's really not that hard. The blokes put their lives at risk every time they run out there, and if helmets can prevent even one concussion or brain injury, then so be it.
That's the thing though, there's absolutely no proof that helmets help one bit in reducing concussions.

The NFL is leading the way on this of course, being forced into preventative measures through massive law suits from ex players, and while helmets help reduce head hits in their game, they are usually only the head to head hits suffered at the line of scrimmage.

High velocity impact head clashes, which are more common in our game then American football now, can't be saved by helmets at all.

So no, every player should not, and will not wear helmets, because they would make almost no difference at all to head injuries in our game.

As for Sinclair, it's 100% up to him, the club will give him all the medical information and then it's in his hands whether he wants to risk long term injury or not.

If I was Ben, I'd retire, as harsh as it is, but another hit or two could cause permanent, long term problems for him, he may even have the beginning of those problems already.

Well a bike helmet can save a life.
I'm not sure how that's relevant to a conversation about helmets preventing concussion on a football field, but I'm glad you're aware a bike helmet can save you from a smashed skull.

How many brain injuries have we had in the AFL that would of been prevented from a helmet?

And for the last time... helmets do not prevent concussion. They don't help at ALL.

The #1 role of a helmet is to prevent a fractured skull... I haven't been too many of those in the past decade.

How many brain injuries have we had in the AFL that would of been prevented from a helmet?

And for the last time... helmets do not prevent concussion. They don't help at ALL.

The #1 role of a helmet is to prevent a fractured skull... I haven't been too many of those in the past decade.

A bit more than a decade but Kosi, Hird, Brown, Reilly, Hyde, Jeff white and maybe Cameron Ling all had skull/facial fractures :frowning::screamcat::ambulance:

Like others I have serious doubts over the viability of a helmet for a guy in Sinclair's position. Without the exact details of his health my advice would be to try and change the way he plays to protect himself more, but it may well be too late now for him unfortunately.

Given he's even now concussing himself while attempting to be the player DOING the bumping, it's unfortunately probably time to retire.

I have been concussed without any contact to the head. A helmet won't solve much, could help though.
A solid blow to the upper body and the wrong movements of the neck/head can concuss you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back