Prediction Should Sinclair wear a helmet in 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Headgear for Muay Thai_ Mexican Style Headgear -OR- Face Saver ___.jpg

Theoretically a modified boxing head guard like the one above would protect players from face and head cuts from things like head clashes and clumsy spoils... but won't prevent concussion. That's why the Olympics have scrapped them for amateur boxing

Benny Sinclairs brain is probably like an old past it boxers brain by now... even modest hits will put his lights out.

Obviously a helmet doesn't prevent concussions but do they reduce the chances at all?
No. Concussions are caused by sudden shocks/jolts which affect the brain regardless of protection outside which prevents external injury.

No but you could get knocked out if you fell off your bike much the same way you could get knocked out running in to a player..
TG a helmet will protect your head from injury but it doesn't protect the brain.
Concussion results from the brain being 'shaken' or jolted inside the skull as a result of impact

TG a helmet will protect your head from injury but it doesn't protect the brain.
Concussion results from the brain being 'shaken' or jolted inside the skull as a result of impact
But it would soften the blow some what surely rather than bone on bone if two players clashed heads. That would be harder than any sort of padding.

But it would soften the blow some what surely rather than bone on bone if two players clashed heads. That would be harder than any sort of padding.
It might soften the blow but it does nothing for the vibration, and that's what causes the concussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure we've covered this topic a million times over the past few years and it's been repeated ad nauseam. Helmets do not prevent concussion... check out the NFL or the mountain of research if you don't believe that.

I read somewhere that helmets can actually make concussion worse.

Well Daniel has nice hair and it doesn't stop him.

Daniel wears the helmet because he got used to it from his junior days and feels more confident with it on.

Daniel wears the helmet because he got used to it from his junior days and feels more confident with it on.
IIRC he said it made his mum worry less about him or something along the lines of that.

I wasn't implying or suggesting they did. But if your struggling to remember the above injuries maybe its time for a bit of protection for the melon...

You listed players with injuries that a helmet would not of prevented to make the list seem longer... I'm struggling to see the relevance having a fractured cheek has to a fractured skull

Spot on Jmac, plenty of research in the US about how the big bulky US style NFL helmets actually increase the amount the head "shakes" on impact even though the raw impact on the bone is reduced, the brain can be even worse off.

The study that you're thinking of showed that players who wear helmets tend to become overconfident and play without sufficient sense of self-preservation, which can result in them recklessly putting their heads in places that they really shouldn't and thereby copping more blows to the head than might otherwise be the case.

The study that you're thinking of showed that players who wear helmets tend to become overconfident and play without sufficient sense of self-preservation, which can result in them recklessly putting their heads in places that they really shouldn't and thereby copping more blows to the head than might otherwise be the case.

Watching the NRL grand final last Sunday I was shocked at how many concussion incidents occur during a game. Looks worse than the AFL.

View attachment 296479

Theoretically a modified boxing head guard like the one above would protect players from face and head cuts from things like head clashes and clumsy spoils... but won't prevent concussion. That's why the Olympics have scrapped them for amateur boxing

Benny Sinclairs brain is probably like an old past it boxers brain by now... even modest hits will put his lights out.
Would be more injuries with that as limited peripheral vision would lead to more bone crunching collisions.

Well Richard Osbourne getting hurt is probably one of the worse head injuries in the AFL if not the worst and he wore the helmet when he came back.

That doesn't prove that helmets work. Read the research papers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back